Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Slo said:
Good thread.....im new to bikes and have never rode a sport bike, dirt bike but i have rode a quad. Im currently looking around for a begginers bike and also reading up a lot on safety tips and other stuff. Thanks for the great thread guys.....it will help me.
Good new bike is anything in the 250cc range! and they're commonly cheap!

·
Registered
206 Posts
anyone new to riding should really take this information to heart...i started out on a k2 600 and it scared the crap out of me for almost 6 months...i still own it and only laid it down once..but that was in the first 2 months of having it, just some scratches on the paint but i got lucky...nobody can stop you from buying a R bike for your first, we aren't your parents..but I will say that if you do...go VERY SLOW at YOUR OWN PACE and don't worry about others ragging on you...oh and take the MSF course then take it to a big empty parking lot for the first couple of weeks to get the hang of it

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hear you there bought 02cbr f4i for my first, now i wish a had bought something a little smaller, I only drop it once not to bad just the left side cover, good thing for sliders I put on two days before. Just ridin scared the first 3 months sucks.

·
Banned
743 Posts
Fear

Just ridin scared the first 3 months sucks.
Whatever you do, never lose the Fear of what "CAN" happen if you get a little too confident and become invincible. :headshake

I have been riding bikes off and on for close to 20 years, and when I hit the street, I am as mindful of the power, possible elements of danger, and those people who (for whatever reason) are not looking for you or me. Tunnel Vision on a bike is your greatest enemy, so keep your peripheral working at all times, but just don't get consumed with the sideline items too much to where you miss what is in front of you. :eek:

That has happened scores of times. The word balance has a whole lot more to do with than just holding your bike up successfully without dropping it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very nice article! :thumbup:
I've been thinking about getting into riding-- i'm into cages.
Financially when everything comes together (college) I will probably throw down on a bike-- but that may be a while.

My dad rode a Suzuki 600 back in his day...he was coming home and was ran over by a cop...a lot of issues have resulted from that...it has also made me think twice.

I take power pretty seriously. I'm glad you posted this. To be honest, I would like to have a Sportbike... I think a dualsport would be more appropriate though. I'm in this for the go fast, have fun, be safe, be smart factor-- not the wowing others factor. I've always been into anything with an engine, and I don't see my interest dying out anytime soon. Like you said, first bike won't be the last...

Now a quick question...
Is an SV650 or a FZ6 overkill?

·
S.I.J
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Now a quick question...
Is an SV650 or a FZ6 overkill?
An SV 650 is a good learner bike. I have seen guys at the track turn better times on an SV than on sportbike, Due to the fact they dont have to let off the throttle brake less and just cruise through the track

·
Registered
816 Posts
How many miles is too many miles?

I want to buy a bike, obviously, i dont kno when im going to because right now i cant afford it, but when it comes to used bikes, what is a good number of miles for a bike?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I see some bikes with like gold or brass rims, are they only on special edition bikes? well, and either way, does anyone kno a place to buy the rims :hmmm:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im going to purchase my first bike.

Im asking all you experianced riders for your honest advise.I want to step up to the plate and buy a 2007 gsxr-750,now i know i probabley should start with a six,but i dont want all that quick shift movement and i dont want to be done with it in a few years cause its not as quick as a 750 0r 1000.Its going to be my first bike so i dont want it to be the slowest nore the fastest,so i want the gsxr-750.Is that wise?

·
Registered
374 Posts
What most of this boils down too is if you are mature enough with the throttle. It's doesn't matter what bike you're on, folks still pull out in front of you. The throttle is what gets inexperienced riders into trouble usually.
Be careful and know that a 750 or even a 600 can get way outside your experience level real quick. The point of a smaller bike is to build confidence and experience before turning you loose with 100+ HP.
My first bike was a Honda 360T, then a 500 and 700 Interceptor. Then GSXR 750, 1100 and now a new 1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh yeah!

Hey i think your right,although my cousin started out on a gsxr-1000 and that was his first bike!I know im going to have to be sensitive with the throttle,so if im safe enough with the throttle i can jump on a gsxr-1000 too?
I mean other then the cc's difference between the two,there is no ther difference between the 750 and 1000,besides the 6 pound weight difference?
If so ill jump on a gsxr1000 because im going to be real careful how far i pull that throttle believe me.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you're stuck on Suzuki go get yourself a nice GS500 and put some miles on it...learn the basics on something that is meant for learning on. You will deprive yourself of learning valuable riding skills by buying a 1000 as a first bike. Do yourself a favour and read all 4 parts of Boss's comments at the start of this thread. :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wish I was reading this 3 years ago... My first bike was duc monster 600. And when I was buying my first bike, diller told me that i should get 1000 he said that 1000 much better bike, what an asshole.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I wish I was reading this 3 years ago... My first bike was duc monster 600. And when I was buying my first bike, dealer told me that i should get 1000 he said that 1000 much better bike, what an asshole.
Yeah...I'm sure it happens all too often. Most of them don't give a shit as long as they're getting their pockets lined :headshake

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey i think your right,although my cousin started out on a gsxr-1000 and that was his first bike!I know im going to have to be sensitive with the throttle,so if im safe enough with the throttle i can jump on a gsxr-1000 too?
I mean other then the cc's difference between the two,there is no ther difference between the 750 and 1000,besides the 6 pound weight difference?
If so ill jump on a gsxr1000 because im going to be real careful how far i pull that throttle believe me.
I'd still suggest getting something with less of a temptation at first, once you feel the power it's difficult not to want to use it.. because it's there. It only takes one twist too far to ruin you day. The 1000s are stupid fast for a stock bike and it's almost always on the back tire when your not even trying to grab a whole hand full. Be careful..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it depends on the rider and where ur riding. My first bike was a Yama R6 and I think that was alittle too much for me then. Wish I started out with a smaller bike (almost killed myself a few times on the R6):cool: I have a GSXR 750 now, but I still prefer 600's in the canyons cuz they just handle soooo much better when ur leaning them low and I smoke my friends 1k's on the turns, (but of course he catches up on the straight aways) But for learning, I say learning to walk then run is a good idea. Don't want to ride past ur experience lvl, trust me...u just don't want to do that.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
im a new rider. i wanna get a gsxr600. i never rode a bike before besides the course(rebel250 and i almost dropped it a few times). but i know gsxr are more race bikes, so im getting an f4i instead, its the only non-supersport(gsxr,r6,rr) sport bike out there. ninja250, sv650s, gs500f, those are not sport bikes. thats what my co workers tell me. those bikes are wannabes. i rather ride a rebel or cruiser instead of a wannabe sport bike.

anyways right now im deciding between a used '05 gsxr600 w/ less than 2k private sale $7000

or brand new 06 f4i which has less chances of me killing myself..

hmmm..

41 - 60 of 215 Posts