Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what's the firing order?

I just bought my bike, and I'm tryin to install new plug wires on it. Does anyone know the firing order on this so I can install the new wires? It's a 1988 GSXR 750. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I was going from a car standpoint. Never nedded the need to know the firing order of my bike. Car's are 1-3-4-2 though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I shouldn't have said "most in line fours" because I don't know squat about how cars are set up. Seems like lately bikes are trying some different things as well. But most in line four bikes use 1-2-4-3
Pistons 1 and 4 travel as pair and so do 2 and 3.
so when piston one is moving toward BDC on it's power stroke, 2 is moving towards TDC on it's compression stroke and four is going down on intake etc.
The older bikes with one coil per pair of cylinders also uses a wasted spark set up. Where one and four fire together even though four is on overlap while one is on compression/power

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Ryno said:
Yeah, I shouldn't have said "most in line fours" because I don't know squat about how cars are set up. Seems like lately bikes are trying some different things as well. But most in line four bikes use 1-2-4-3
Pistons 1 and 4 travel as pair and so do 2 and 3.
so when piston one is moving toward BDC on it's power stroke, 2 is moving towards TDC on it's compression stroke and four is going down on intake etc.
The older bikes with one coil per pair of cylinders also uses a wasted spark set up. Where one and four fire together even though four is on overlap while one is on compression/power

Could that be for emissions reasons. Firing on the exhaust stroke to minimize the hc's comming out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I bought it, the wires were already out of the coils....He installed aftermarket wires(Accel 8mm) and just jammed em into the stock coils. The wires and coils are supposed to be one piece, according to my local Suzuki. I also called around, and they said the firing order is 1-2-3-4, starting from the left coil of course. Does that sound right? Because you guys are right, normally it would be offset like 1-4-2-3, or etc etc. That's how my Stealth's V6 is, it's like 1-3-6-2-4 or some shit. You guys still think its' 1-2-4-3? Thanks for any help, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
114 Posts
88 GSXR would be 1-2-4-3
The newer style coils where you have a little coil for each cylinder won't work with the stock ECU on an 88.
I'd say your local dealership has their head up their ass.
Also must not be used to working on anything older than late nineties if they don't know about the older coil set up.
Shit my 96 still has that. I think it was 97 that they went to the new style coils on the GSXR
Take a look at this diagram (it's from 96-99 GSXR, I couldn't find one for 88)
And you see by looking at the crank journals that 1 and 4 are a pair as are 2 and 3. You couldn't have a firing order of 1-2-3-4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll try to pair up 1 and 4, and 2 and 3. Thanks for the info Ryno. Yea, they first said it should be enscrypted on the coils, which makes some sense, but not true. Then they called me back and said it was 1-2-3-4, starting from the left. I'll be sure to call them as least as possible! So 1-4 on the left coil, and 2-3 on the right coil. Thanks to all, and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No problem, let us know how you make out.
Another easy way to check for sure is to yank the valve cover and turn the motor over by hand.
Watch the cams and you'll know which cylinder is on which stroke etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, she fired up and kept runnin! The firing order is 1-2-4-3. It was a huge pain in the ass gettin her runnin again, but it finally happened. Now I just need to find out why it doesn't like to maintain an idle! That's a whole different story....Thanks for your advice everyone(especially Ryno). It was what pulled me through. You know what's ironic about all this? My manual was delivered today after I got home from dinner! What a bitch! I'll be sure to keep posting on my new restoration project of restoring this animal to it's full classic potential. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.