Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I know the speedo's will only read up to a certian point, and I'm pretty sure they are governed to a set top speed also...

·
Registered
293 Posts
No, the 600's do not have speed limiters. They are power limited..meaning they do not have enough engine power to go to redline in 6th gear.

As far as i know, only 1000's and busa's have actual speed limiters.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had a bet with a guy here that started off telling me NO 1000+ cc bike had any type of speed limiter. I did allot of research on this and actually called Suzuki in Japan, along with the National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration, and EPA . Your 600 does not but any bike from the factory that has the power to push to 186MPH does, or is supposed to.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have heard people say they have hit 190+ on a k6 600 and i think they are full of shit because mine even with the 750 swap struggles to get past 180

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea man my bike completely stock with nothing done to it hit 178 so im hoping after some electrical stuff and some remapping ill at least hit 180

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
well i have a buddy that has a 600 and i rode it is said 186 and then we got a speedo healer on it and it only said170 so the speedometer is of to but on my bike i have hit the high 186 with the speedo healer but like you said i have a 1000 k7 and they are restricted in the 6 gear either you can 1. flash the ecu make it think its in 5th 2. tre not my choice or 3. get a gps (gear possitioning sensor does the same as flashing the ecu really it just makes the 6th gear look like 5th so you can keep going.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
well i have a buddy that has a 600 and i rode it is said 186 and then we got a speedo healer on it and it only said170 so the speedometer is of to but on my bike i have hit the high 186 with the speedo healer but like you said i have a 1000 k7 and they are restricted in the 6 gear either you can 1. flash the ecu make it think its in 5th 2. tre not my choice or 3. get a gps (gear possitioning sensor does the same as flashing the ecu really it just makes the 6th gear look like 5th so you can keep going.
+1 unless you get a speedo healer you will be a little further off the faster you go. You can always drop teeth in the rear and it theoreticly should give you more top end but it will take you alot longer to get there and you will lose a bunch of balls down low.

Personally I would drop a tooth in the front drop from 180mph to 160mph and get a hell of alot more power down low. But then again my 750 seems to be pretty smooth all around. I cant bring my self to swap sprockets.

·
Shot Caller
9,267 Posts
Any way you break it down, a 600 will go about 165 mph tops, a 750 about 175, and a 1000 about 190, if the speed limiter is overriden. I can't tell you for certain if the K8 600's and 750's have speed limiters, but in earlier years only the 1000 had one (186 mph) so I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
No, the 600's do not have speed limiters. They are power limited..meaning they do not have enough engine power to go to redline in 6th gear.

As far as i know, only 1000's and busa's have actual speed limiters.
where the hell did that come from? ive redlined mine plenty of times in 6th gear

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
600cc bikes are limited by the power they have. A current GSXR 600, pipe and PC should hit the upper 160MPH range with a good rider. Go get a hand held GPS and check it out. I don't see how a 600 can hit 170, won't get there.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i personally don't think 600s have a speed limit, i got my 01 600 up to 162 and it was still climbing slowly + my 600 has beat up throttle bodies. i got my 01 1000 up to 182 and the engine cut off. so i don't think 600 have a speed limit i can say this from personal experience :)

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
where the hell did that come from? ive redlined mine plenty of times in 6th gear
didn't you change the sprockets on your bike? that could be why.

600cc bikes are limited by the power they have. A current GSXR 600, pipe and PC should hit the upper 160MPH range with a good rider. Go get a hand held GPS and check it out. I don't see how a 600 can hit 170, won't get there.

+1 on the Gps

When we have these threads we should try to find some good site links like to suzuki or something to back up the answer so that people don't keep arguing the facts.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/suzuki/2009-suzuki-gsx-r-600-ar63729.html

·
Registered
293 Posts

What size sprockets are u running?

Stock gearing is capable of topping out around 180-185mph. We all know a 600 cant reach that kind of speeds. It simply does not have the power to push the tall stock gearing in 6th gear. This is why it only tops out around 160mph.

Look around this and other sites and you will see the same explanation.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Anyone else ever wonder why most sport bikes dont have speed limiters like cars? From what ive always heard, most cars wont do over 110-120mph.

With all the dumbasses that do stupid stuff on the streets you would think they would put speed limiters on all bikes.

Dont get me wrong...i hope they dont do something like that but im sure its coming one of these days.

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
What size sprockets are u running?

Stock gearing is capable of topping out around 180-185mph. We all know a 600 cant reach that kind of speeds. It simply does not have the power to push the tall stock gearing in 6th gear. This is why it only tops out around 160mph.

Look around this and other sites and you will see the same explanation.
Anyone else ever wonder why most sport bikes dont have speed limiters like cars? From what ive always heard, most cars wont do over 110-120mph.

With all the dumbasses that do stupid stuff on the streets you would think they would put speed limiters on all bikes.

Dont get me wrong...i hope they dont do something like that but im sure its coming one of these days.
+1 some people need them:headshake

·
Shot Caller
9,267 Posts

The reason Suzuki puts a speed limiter in the 1000 and Hayabusa is so that it can legally be sold in the U.S. for street use - there is a 186 mph top speed limit for production motorcycles. They do, however, make it easy to disable for track use.

Very few production cars, other than some high end sport cars have speed limiters, although most cars do have rev limiters, which can act like a speed limiter. Your average Honda and Toyota passenger cars and trucks are limited to 110 - 120 mph by power anyway.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts