Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The reason Suzuki puts a speed limiter in the 1000 and Hayabusa is so that it can legally be sold in the U.S. for street use - there is a 186 mph top speed limit for production motorcycles. .
There is no legal speed limiter required, the 186 mph, or 300 KPH is completely voluntary and the big 4 Japanese bike brands all stick to it. Some European countries were considering a top speed limit requirement and that's what got the big four to set the 300kph limit, to avoid a possible lower legal limit placed by some countries.

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
There is no legal speed limiter required, the 186 mph, or 300 KPH is completely voluntary and the big 4 Japanese bike brands all stick to it. Some European countries were considering a top speed limit requirement and that's what got the big four to set the 300kph limit, to avoid a possible lower legal limit placed by some countries.

I don't know were you heard that but i would like to read that article?

oh and check this out http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/september/15-21/sep1908-speed-limiters-for-motorcycles/?&R=EPI-103024

it will suck if they do this.

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
Happened in 2000.........called a Gentlemans Agreement between the Big 4 as well as Ducati and BMW........I do not think Aprillia signed on with that but maybe they have by now?
Cool deal man. I looked it up, because so many people put stuff on here that is just hear say I like to know the truth so i can tell others the facts. Thanks this was some good info.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ay im new to the site... I had a question im in europe and my cousin bought a new suzuki gsxr 600 k9 white he cant hit more than 130 kmh did this happen to anyone or did someone hear about this problem?

·
Registered
55 Posts
pretty sure the us limit is like 186 or something like that. with that 600 you dont need to worry about it lolz :thefinger

·
Registered
1 Posts
didn't you change the sprockets on your bike? that could be why.

+1 on the Gps

When we have these threads we should try to find some good site links like to suzuki or something to back up the answer so that people don't keep arguing the facts.

2010 Suzuki GSX-R600 @ Top Speed
Lol i have personally have went right by alot big bore bikes hard on big end because the big cc bike are cut back so i know for sure a 600 bore and stroke is capable of running 186 im just saying! A Manufacturers specs are not always truthful either example in the 70s Pontiac in order comply with government standards said their 455 ho 4 speed only produced high 200 hp to low 300 lmao yea right maybe at like 3000 rpm! All im saying is manufacturers can stretch the truth a little😂

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Lol i have personally have went right by alot big bore bikes hard on big end because the big cc bike are cut back so i know for sure a 600 bore and stroke is capable of running 186 im just saying! A Manufacturers specs are not always truthful either example in the 70s Pontiac in order comply with government standards said their 455 ho 4 speed only produced high 200 hp to low 300 lmao yea right maybe at like 3000 rpm! All im saying is manufacturers can stretch the truth a little😂
Thanks for sharing................ tagged on to an 11 yr/old post.

So you have a 600, that will read 186 mph, on a street, not a dyno? Get out your phone, download a free speedometer app. and see what it's really running maybe?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know if you hit 186MPH, and immediately let off, on my previous 2011 GSXR 1000, and on my current 2007 GSXR 1000, you would really be doing around 172-175 GPS speed. But, if you hold that 186 MPH then you will eventually climb in GPS verified speed. I’ve seen 182-183MPH GPS. These bikes speedometers are off. But, the GPS speed will slowly climb and match that of the 186 speedometer reading.

·
Super Moderator
4,916 Posts
How long do you have to hold 186 to reach 185 GPS? Very nice. I always hear this misconception, that these bikes cannot do 180’s because the speedometer is off lol. It is amazing all the silly rumors on the internet
Nothing better to test this with than a S1000RR?
Went thru the gears and was there in about 45-55 seconds. There was no waiting that was 6th on the rev limiter.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Went thru the gears and was there in about 45-55 seconds. There was no waiting that was 6th on the rev limiter.
No I mean, when your bikes speedometer reaches 185 how much later did GPS hit 185?

I imagine 186 was pegged on the speedometer for probably a few seconds to reach 185 GPS.

On my GSXR 1000 I can hit 186MPH on the Speedo. and here’s what happens.

186MPH = 174GPS
186MPh = 178GPS
186MPH = 180GPS
186MPh =185 GPS

You see what I mean?

·
Super Moderator
4,916 Posts
The BMW speedo was only off by about 3 MPH all the way thru the range that’s why I never put a speedo healer on it. The GIXR I did because the faster you went the farther it was off. After I put it on it was accurate thru the range. This is the K71K it was not on the Rev limiter I ran out of road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The BMW speedo was only off by about 3 MPH all the way thru the range that’s why I never put a speedo healer on it. The GIXR I did because the faster you went the farther it was off. After I put it on it was accurate thru the range. This is the K71K it was not on the Rev limiter I ran out of road. View attachment 293442
How do speedo healers really work?

Very impressive.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts