Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Speed limiter

22K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Chuckster 
#1 ·
i have a 2008 gsxr 600...do they have top speed limiters ??

#5 ·
I had a bet with a guy here that started off telling me NO 1000+ cc bike had any type of speed limiter. I did allot of research on this and actually called Suzuki in Japan, along with the National Highway Traffic Saftey Administration, and EPA . Your 600 does not but any bike from the factory that has the power to push to 186MPH does, or is supposed to.

#9 ·
well i have a buddy that has a 600 and i rode it is said 186 and then we got a speedo healer on it and it only said170 so the speedometer is of to but on my bike i have hit the high 186 with the speedo healer but like you said i have a 1000 k7 and they are restricted in the 6 gear either you can 1. flash the ecu make it think its in 5th 2. tre not my choice or 3. get a gps (gear possitioning sensor does the same as flashing the ecu really it just makes the 6th gear look like 5th so you can keep going.

#10 ·
+1 unless you get a speedo healer you will be a little further off the faster you go. You can always drop teeth in the rear and it theoreticly should give you more top end but it will take you alot longer to get there and you will lose a bunch of balls down low.

Personally I would drop a tooth in the front drop from 180mph to 160mph and get a hell of alot more power down low. But then again my 750 seems to be pretty smooth all around. I cant bring my self to swap sprockets.

#11 ·
Any way you break it down, a 600 will go about 165 mph tops, a 750 about 175, and a 1000 about 190, if the speed limiter is overriden. I can't tell you for certain if the K8 600's and 750's have speed limiters, but in earlier years only the 1000 had one (186 mph) so I doubt it.

#15 ·
i personally don't think 600s have a speed limit, i got my 01 600 up to 162 and it was still climbing slowly + my 600 has beat up throttle bodies. i got my 01 1000 up to 182 and the engine cut off. so i don't think 600 have a speed limit i can say this from personal experience :)

#18 ·
Anyone else ever wonder why most sport bikes dont have speed limiters like cars? From what ive always heard, most cars wont do over 110-120mph.

With all the dumbasses that do stupid stuff on the streets you would think they would put speed limiters on all bikes.

Dont get me wrong...i hope they dont do something like that but im sure its coming one of these days.

#20 ·
The reason Suzuki puts a speed limiter in the 1000 and Hayabusa is so that it can legally be sold in the U.S. for street use - there is a 186 mph top speed limit for production motorcycles. They do, however, make it easy to disable for track use.

Very few production cars, other than some high end sport cars have speed limiters, although most cars do have rev limiters, which can act like a speed limiter. Your average Honda and Toyota passenger cars and trucks are limited to 110 - 120 mph by power anyway.

#26 ·
pretty sure the us limit is like 186 or something like that. with that 600 you dont need to worry about it lolz :thefinger

#30 ·
I know if you hit 186MPH, and immediately let off, on my previous 2011 GSXR 1000, and on my current 2007 GSXR 1000, you would really be doing around 172-175 GPS speed. But, if you hold that 186 MPH then you will eventually climb in GPS verified speed. I’ve seen 182-183MPH GPS. These bikes speedometers are off. But, the GPS speed will slowly climb and match that of the 186 speedometer reading.

#46 · (Edited)
And while we're here still- I have the Speed DRD- it's a speedo 'healer'. You have to program it. I used my phones speedo GPS to calibrate it.
It somes with instructions on how to do it- I did it- not too difficult to figure out.
Now, my bikes speedo reads about 1-2 MPH under Real speed- gps- from 30-175ish. No good roads around here to safely get more, not for me anyways.

It's a direct plug in to the speed sensor. plug, program, play.

It's really small, and stays under the seat area.

Nothing is mounted anywhere- but it doesn't keep the Max speed, etc. like this GPS unit does.

It was ~ $65- I got it when I did my 190/55 rear tire, with a -1/+1 520 chain conversion.

#48 ·
Oh, then I just don't know how to make it display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.