Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got a brand new 2019 gsxr 750 and love it, but i just had an oh shit moment i accelerated hard in first gear and as i did i hit a decent sized hole and had the scariest speed wobble ever anyone have this happen before

·
SuperMod of the North
25,644 Posts
Yes, not often as the steering damper usually mellows that out but it does happen. It does make your butt pucker. Death wobble, head shakes, tank slapper...lots of names for it. Your wheels are essentially big gyroscopes and once they are spinning they resist angular changes. This is why you have to push hard on the bars going into a high speed corner. In first gear you likely didn't have a lot of speed yet and these forces were lower than usual and the jolt allowed the whole bike to wiggle like a snake for a bit.

·
Super Moderator
8,755 Posts
Welcome.

Like this?

Seriously. The bike will fix itself if you do not resist it's efforts.

As you can can see in the video, the bike has a mild wobble, the rider grabs the bars with arms locked out and it goes seriously bad from there.

Look straight ahead, relax on the bars, grip the tank with your legs and maintain throttle or accelerate some.

What bike were you riding before?

Reactions: JCW and Todd_Sails

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.

Like this?

Seriously. The bike will fix itself if you do not resist it's efforts.

As you can can see in the video, the bike has a mild wobble, the rider grabs the bars with arms locked out and it goes seriously bad from there.

Look straight ahead, relax on the bars, grip the tank with your legs and maintain throttle or accelerate some.

What bike were you riding before?
i had an fz6r so this is my second bike, i never had a speed wobble before on that bike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had an fz6r so this is my second bike, i never had a speed wobble before on that bike, i did crack the throttle pretty hard at 40 mph at same time hitting the small hole

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Does that year 750 come with an OEM steering damper? Is it electric only?
If it's new, have them check that system?
Glad you 'didn't go down'.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Were you pulling yourself forward using the bars? I used to have a really bad habit of resisting the acceleration with my arms. Pulling on the bars during hard acceleration combined with a road input can stir up trouble.

·
Super Moderator
8,755 Posts
i had an fz6r so this is my second bike, i never had a speed wobble before on that bike
The question is, did you hit a hole with the same conditions on the FZ?

Just a thought, but the FZ is more upright with wider bars so keeping a loose grip on the bars is easy. Conversely, the GSXR has a more committed riding position that can cause people to support their upper body on the clip-ons. Otherwise, you are probably holding the bars tighter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were you pulling yourself forward using the bars? I used to have a really bad habit of resisting the acceleration with my arms. Pulling on the bars during hard acceleration combined with a road input can stir up trouble.
yeh thinking back on it, i did pull the bars back hard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The question is, did you hit a hole with the same conditions on the FZ?

Just a thought, but the FZ is more upright with wider bars so keeping a loose grip on the bars is easy. Conversely, the GSXR has a more committed riding position that can cause people to support their upper body on the clip-ons. Otherwise, you are probably holding the bars tighter.
loll, i do hold onto the bars pretty hard fz6r is a slower bike so i had a pretty soft grip

·
Super Moderator
8,755 Posts
loll, i do hold onto the bars pretty hard fz6r is a slower bike so i had a pretty soft grip
Try to work on that. You should work to keep weight off the bars except under hard braking when you need to support your upper body.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice bike we have sisters,I noticed that i was holding on way too tight when i first got on this bike as the wobble was a very common condition typically around 55 but i've learned to hang loose though and rarely experience this problem. I just clicked off 1000 miles. Good luck bro have fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts