Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone.

Im new to the world of GSXR, i recently bought a second hand 2000 model 750 SRAD, now my question is this, when she heats up to running temp, between 70 and 85c shell start doing what sounds like hunting (dips in idling) untill she cools down again, any advice on what to check? Seeing as the "check" comes on when i hit the kill switch.

Please be kind, as i said , im new

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
Welcome.

I've heard a lot of bikes do this at idle to some degree. It would be best for it to be smooth but I'm not sure it is an issue.

Being a 20 year old bike there are probably plenty of services that should be done. Spark plugs, clean the fuel filters, check for cracked vacuum hoses and throttle body sync.

If I had to guess, the vacuum hoses is what I would check first.

"CHEC" coming on when you use the kill switch is normal. It just says that the ECM is no longer sending data to the cluster.

Post and intro, with pics of your bike, in the "new members and riders" section when you get a chance.

I also moved your thread to the tech section.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much.

The bike was serviced in full before i bought it by a proper bike mech, just dont know about the vacuum hoses though, could that happen only when the bike warms up?

·
Super Moderator
9,145 Posts
could that happen only when the bike warms up?
Possibly as the mixture changes with temperature. I'm just spit balling common idle problem causes and fractured vacuum lines on old bikes is one of them.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok thank you so much, i was a little hesitant to join a community, as i usually see ALOT of trolls bad mouthing new riders, and i dont have time for that shite

·
SuperMod of the North
26,539 Posts
Welcome Sir. First, what ever John says is good. Second, Troll Patrol is on going here, there will be no flaming of anyone.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You are safe here. This is great community of riders, and GSX-R enthusiasts. You won't find a more knowledgeable group anywhere else.
When it was serviced, do you know if they did a valve clearance check. She is at the age where this should be checked out, and could possibly cause some of your symptoms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy i bought her from says he did her valve shimming a week before i got her, so im trusting that he did do it? I did check the tps, it shows center as it should, and sprayed soapy water on vacuum hoses whilst she was coughing aswell, no difference

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Just throwing an idea/question out there...

If the valve clearances are too tight, would it cause this issue when the bike warms up?

Perhaps the PO didn’t check/correct the valve clearances after all.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I believe it would get worse once warmed up...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Decided to take it in yesterday, just kept getting worse, ill give an update as soon as i hear from my tech, hold thumbs it wont be too expensive:confused:

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Score! Doesn't sound tooooo expensive, right?

Air flow sensor, I'll have to watch out for this now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, not expensive at all, the tip of the tps was twisted slightly loose so it indicated correct on the cluster but did fault finding and found that was the problem the whole time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts