Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best the difference between stock, 520 conversion and 525 conversion?

I might go up on in the rear will i need to change my chain?

the goal is to make my bike like a gp bike and I am also looking at other upgrades as well like suspension and brakes but right now I going to do the sprocket change will one be good or what do most GP riders run?

·
Registered
326 Posts
It really depends on the track dude. Real twisties or just minor, also how you may ride the track, when you change it up coming out of corners you may have to crack on the throttle faster than before or not as much. YOu really have to play with it, but if you want a recomendation, what track are you at and the bike your gonna run?

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on the track dude. Real twisties or just minor, also how you may ride the track, when you change it up coming out of corners you may have to crack on the throttle faster than before or not as much. YOu really have to play with it, but if you want a recomendation, what track are you at and the bike your gonna run?
well i ride a GSXR 1000 k7 and I plan to run at ms houston.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ya I feel stupid cause I can not find that track, the only one I did find said that it closed in 2005. Since the front end comes up easier on the 1000's you can just gun it on the straights, or just run stock and adjust yourself and adapt to the bike. Or this is a rather of a long shot but you can go down in the back by one or two. Or up on the front kinda reverse for the average set up. But what I would do is adjust yourself to handle your bike and how it would react since your already use to the way the bike is set up now.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
You can get good quality 520 chains with more than adequate tensile strength for your 1000, and you will have to get corresponding sized sprockets as well, front and back whether you go with a 520 or 525. You will, however, wear a thinner chain down faster, so a 520 will not last as long as a 525, and neither will last as long as a 530.

As far as Moto GP bikes, most run custom chain and sprocket sets but I think Kawi uses stock EK 520 chains on their GP bikes. Gearing between supersports and GP bikes is an apples and oranges comparison, so probably something not overly aggressive, like a couple up in the rear would be close.

·
GSXR LIFE STYLE
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get good quality 520 chains with more than adequate tensile strength for your 1000, and you will have to get corresponding sized sprockets as well, front and back whether you go with a 520 or 525. You will, however, wear a thinner chain down faster, so a 520 will not last as long as a 525, and neither will last as long as a 530.

As far as Moto GP bikes, most run custom chain and sprocket sets but I think Kawi uses stock EK 520 chains on their GP bikes. Gearing between supersports and GP bikes is an apples and oranges comparison, so probably something not overly aggressive, like a couple up in the rear would be close.
so the only difference between the chains are the thickness so what exactly are the benifets of changing them then.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
A 520 wont decelerate the bike as quick as the 530 will and will accelerate faster then the 530 as it is less rotating mass. In racing Lighter = faster and they(the pros) dont run the same chain twice like you and I. So like Tee was saying the 520 or 525 wont last as long or take the same amount of abuse as your stock 530 will.

I have the 520 on my 600 (was on it when I got it) It needed a new chain when I got it so I jst stayed with what was on it that was about 6500 miles ago and I all ready need a new one... i clean and wax it every 300 miles or after riding in the rain... so I am switching to the 530 for better life.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.