Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all, first off i'm a first time rider and bike owner. im brand new to the sight. im sure i did something wrong and my post will get deleted or ill get scolded lol. i've looked around at this issue on here and it seems the answer of what the issue was is not on the threads. i just bought an 06 gsxr 600 may 26th. bike seemed great while letting it warm up before purchase. got to 221 degrees F and the fans kicked on and the bike started to cool down as it should. the temp has never been over 223 without going back down. i test rode it, my buddy who's a rider also tested it and all seemed well... i got myself and the bike legal today and and went on the first real ride besides the test ride.

it was great for about twenty miles and the problems started. pulled out of a lot to head home and the bike started to sputter at lower rpm and was sounding odd. was backfiring a bit too. the lower rpm range was very jerky and at higher rpm it seems a little better. the bike does have a pc3 on it and im not sure if its only a slip on or if its a complete exhaust system. its a yoshi. i cant really tell if it has more then done without some things to know to look for, again i'm new. when i bought the bike the battery was at 12.5 volts with the key on and bike off. cranking it was over 11 volts and running its like 13.4 if i remember correctly so i don't think its a stater, rectifier or battery issue. bike is a little bit over on oil i believe btw not sure if this matters, not by much but the sight glass shows to the top when the bike is upright. from my experience with cars it seems like a fueling issue (like its running crazy lean intermittently which is why i mention the pc3) or its getting ignition cut for some reason. could it be a kickstand switch issue? at a gas station i popped the bike in gear with the kickstand down and the bike shut off, i kicked up the stand and reset the kill switch, started it and left. the issue started pretty soon after. idk im lost and super salty that what i thought seemed like a great purchase immediately has an issue. Please help if you would be so kind

tl;dr after about 20 miles bike is jerky at low speeds and sputters and backfires at low rpm, seems to idle well and doesnt stall completely. was backfiring a bit too.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,526 Posts
Well that sucks. Congrats on the bike anyway. Was the bike being ridden when you bought it or was it stored away? Did you change the fluids and filters etc? If I recall those voltages are good.

Kick stand was a good thought. Maybe check it stays fully up and tight. Loose springs would work most of the time but may cause it to cut out when you hit a bump like when you left the parking lot.

Fuel filters (2) would be my guess. You have no history on this bike so time to give it a good inspection.

Someone will be along to comment on the PC3, I am not much help there.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,526 Posts
You were in section for issues with the site - I moved you to the Tech and Performance section. Our tech guys are WAY better at this issue than our site IT guys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were in section for issues with the site - I moved you to the Tech and Performance section. Our tech guys are WAY better at this issue than our site IT guys.
thank you sir. i knew i probably did something wrong and i appreciate your help

·
Registered
846 Posts
Side stand could cause your described symptoms. Spray some good lube in the pivot joint and work in in there. Clean off the excess and go for a ride. If it starts to sputter, take your foot (carefully) and pull up on the stand to see if it clears up. If this doesn't seem to help, you could have a fueling issue. Move on to a volume, and pressure test, outlined in your service manual. Get a service manual. Some one will be along here shortly to explain these tests in detail.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that sucks. Congrats on the bike anyway. Was the bike being ridden when you bought it or was it stored away? Did you change the fluids and filters etc? If I recall those voltages are good.

Kick stand was a good thought. Maybe check it stays fully up and tight. Loose springs would work most of the time but may cause it to cut out when you hit a bump like when you left the parking lot.

Fuel filters (2) would be my guess. You have no history on this bike so time to give it a good inspection.

Someone will be along to comment on the PC3, I am not much help there.
So to answer your questions, I was told the bike hadn't been ridden much in the last two seasons. so i knew the oil and fuel were prob undesirable. I did fill it up yesterday and there was about 1/4 tank of the old gas in there and I put fresh 93 on top of it. I burned about 1/4 tank yesterday while riding so I'm gonna start by topping it up again with more fresh 93. i didn't replace the fluids as of yet i was planning an oil change over the next few days but hadn't gotten that far yet.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Hello, welcome to the 'R'.

As soon as you put it in gear with the kickstand down- it will IMMEDIATELY cut off the engine. A safety feature- normal.

Try what others have said, shine a flashlight into the tank. any rust, grime?

What others have said.

Good luck, let us know how it goes,

And pics, or it never happened! LOL

·
Super Moderator
8,705 Posts
Others have made two good suggestions.

Actually, I would bypass the side stand switch for diagnosis, replace it if that cures the problem. Your symptoms are pretty classic for a flaky side stand switch.

If that is not the issue, then I would go with a gummy fuel system. You might start with a good dose of SeaFoam or similar fuel system cleaner to see if it helps.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello all update time. So I think it was terrible gas. I burned threw an entire tank after the the first day mixing 3/4 fresh 93 on top of 1/4 potentially very old gas. I'm not sure of the age. Since burning a tank I've had no issues with the backfiring and sputtering. I am however kicking the kickstand a few times while up before riding off also so that could be it. New problem arose tho with the rectifier I assume. Last night after a ride I had a very disgusting smell coming from what I thought was the power commander in the trunk, opened the seat to find the smell was strongest there. It was not a rotten egg smell, was a indescribable smell like nothing I've ever smelled before but very plasticky and very chemical. The battery was hot as hell. I then took out the voltmeter and tested it it was setting at 12.9v with no key and dropping slowly as it should. I started it and it was at 13.7 and continuing to climb. I waited about three mins and Checked it again to find it at 17 point something. I shut the bike off and let it drop back down to 12.4 again with the lights on. What do u think?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,526 Posts
Sounds like a regulator. I think you should be seeing about 14.5V at around 5000 rpm. If this is the case RIck's Motorsports makes good ones.

·
Super Moderator
8,705 Posts
Absolutely it is the Regulator/Rectifier. Replace it before you ride the bike anymore, as you caught it before it did some major damage.

As Tinsnips mentioned, Ricks are very good and also the new OEM ones are fine. Do not go the $39 Ebay part. That is probably what you have now.

And budget for a new battery, it will not last very long after being boiled like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As Tinsnips mentioned, Ricks are very good and also the new OEM ones are fine. Do not go the $39 Ebay part. That is probably what you have now.

And budget for a new battery, it will not last very long after being boiled like that.
Ok I will not ride til fixed! Thank you for the info. So I've also seen mosfet rectifiers like this one
It's almost as much as the oem or ricks and I've heard good things about mosfet units but not sure if this is what people are buying. Also I can just buy the oem or ricks if you guys say that's the better option. I would like to order it today if this post gets a good reply from a knowledgeable mechanic. And I think (not 100%) the oem part is on the bike now. It looks like it's the stock one. Surprised it didn't crap out instead of allowing too much voltage .

·
Super Moderator
8,705 Posts
Surprised it didn't crap out instead of allowing too much voltage .
There were a number of these same posts and problems about two years ago. For the members that replied to the question, I seem to remember that 100% of the R/Rs failing in high voltage mode were crap Ebay Chinese components.

The original OEM R/Rs seem to go out in a puff of smoke and blow the main fuse shutting off the bike. I've only heard of one Rick's failure. A friend installed one and a couple of months later, the bike was not charging. Rick's replaced it quickly under warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@rv6john thank you very much for that info. I'll order a Rick's right now. sounds like oem will prob leave me stranded, with a bigger price tag and prob no warranty like the Rick's... I'm going to take off the rectifier that's on there today if I'm able and will post a pic to see if it's oem or aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
When my OEM r/r died, it blew a hole in the resin in the back of the r/r. The main fuse was fine and I rode until the bike spluttered and then the engine died. That was the first sign of the problem. As a Ricks would have taken weeks to get to me in Australia, I bought an OEM one. Problem fixed.

TL/DR: OEM r/r fail in “no charge mode” and don’t blow up the ECM or headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oem or aftermarket? I assume aftermarket because the pictures of the OEM ones I can find seem to have grey wire wrap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts