Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 600 and the battery keeps dying i will be riding then the tach and speedo will cut out then the bike wont start after that. If i charge the battery the bike will run for a while then it happens again. Do i just need a new battery ?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Your going to need a new batt anyway so replace it. After the install hook up a voltmeter to the battery with the engine running check voltage, if its not 14-15v you need a new stator.

Do a search on how to install one.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Stator and rectifier is in order I would do the stator first as that is the problem most of the time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just bought a 99 GSXR 750, got it home, starting issues, no charge. Replaced wiring and Regulator, rode today for ten miles, got home... no start...needing some suggestions Help please

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys, I need some advice as I have a related issue.

My SRAD 750 ('99) was laid up for 5-ish months with only occasional standing starts (no electric hook-up for an optimiser). Took it out thinking all OK, I stalled it at the lights & it wouldn't restart (dead battery). Fortunately I was only a couple of miles from home, so got it back, put battery on charge (checked with meter & it was back where I would expect, 12.4v) so put it back in the bike & all appeared to be OK. Few days later I rode about 150-ish miles with no obvious issue until I was near home, stuck in traffic where the bike seemed to be struggling with the heat (or so I assumed) as it would occasionally feel like it was missing/holding back under acceleration. Anyway, I took it out again a couple of weeks later for a ride with friends & initially all was good, but then again it started to stutter under acceleration (I assumed it just needed a service) however I then had the dreaded clocks go dead, which I knew was a precursor to the battery/regrec dying, bugger!

Anyway, it did die, at the side of the road & I had to be recovered home.

I charged the battery (all appeared good), put it back in the bike and put a meter on it (static at first 12.4v, then with the motor running & lifting the revs, 14.5v). That would appear to suggest the charging system is all working correctly. RegRec was replaced last year (August) & it's been fine since. I've been through the Electrical 101 post (really helpful), therefore I took the plastics off to check the wiring and discovered the following..

The white plug on the right (with the green wire going into it) comes from the RegRec, the other side of the plug has two black wires coming out of it & appears burnt/melted and the wires which come from this are in a bad way. One is totally disconnected & bare as you can see, one is connected & 'appears' OK (?) and the other is connected but has some of the plastic insulation missing as it enters the left-hand white plug. This makes me think something is either shorting somewhere, or when the bike is moving the voltage charging the battery is dropping due to the poor state of the wires?

So, after all that my questions are;
  1. Does anyone know if I can get a replacement for this part of the wiring (the two white plugs on either end and the connecting wires) and if so what is it called/what does it actually do? Is this the section which eventually connects to the Stator?
  2. If not, can I simply replace the three black wires, and does it matter which wires go where (the 101 electrical post suggests not)?
  3. How do I separate the damn plugs without destroying them, as simply pulling on them appeared to have no effect (I'm guessing the clips have seized together over 20yrs!)?
My electrical knowledge is limited, but I can follow instructions so feel free to offer constructive advice. I also have a meter to test connections/continuity although again my knowledge is limited on how to use this effectively so keep it simple/instructive please. ;)

Let me know if you need any further info & thanks in advance for any assistance you guys can offer, & apologies if this is covered somewhere else, I did search first (honest)!

Tim.

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts
@PompeyTim

It is best to start your own thread in the tech section with your problem rather than tacking onto an old thread.

First, 12.4 volts fully charged on a battery is a bad battery. Fully charged it should be 12.8v +.

Second, the 14.5v you are getting with the bike running is great.

Third. Just cut off the damaged connector and splice the wires together. You can always add the connector back if you find the parts and feel the urge. Meanwhile, you can ride the bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m new in this forum. I ran into this same problem today. Finally got that RR plug disconnected. It was also melted and fused together. Question is it safe to use these rectifier plug replacement? A shop I called said he would recommend replacing the whole main harness ($950) since there could be old weak wires in the system. Bike ran fine on the way home. .. should I change shops? The seller did say we would have to replace the rectifier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,016 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m new in this forum. I ran into this same problem today. Finally got that RR plug disconnected. It was also melted and fused together. Question is it safe to use these rectifier plug replacement? A shop I called said he would recommend replacing the whole main harness ($950) since there could be old weak wires in the system. Bike ran fine on the way home. .. should I change shops? The seller did say we would have to replace the rectifier.

The replacement connectors are fine if installed correctly. A quick look at the rest of the harness for cracking insulation would determine pretty quickly if it should be replaced.

You don't mention the year of your bike, but I would think anything under 20 years old would still have good wiring insulation as long as it is not burnt or severely weathered.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for the info! It is a 2004 gsxr 1000. Planning on replacing wire by wire to the new connector.. thanks again. A lot to learn. This forum is a wealth of knowledge

1 - 16 of 16 Posts