Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First set I bought was the Galfer 2-line front set. No matter how I routed or oriented them, had to bolt up one end then twist them nearly 180 degrees to get the other banjo to line up on the caliper and they were under constant rotational tension and the left side line was inclined to stay tightly pressed against the front fender. Bought a full front & rear set from Core Moto and they installed without any tension or the need to twist them to get them on the caliper.

This is on a 2018 GSX-R 750 and admittedly I may have been trying to install the Galfer's improperly as they did not come with any install instructions that might have clued me in on what I might have doing wrong. They were labeled right/left caliper end/MC end and I know for certain that part of it was being installed correctly.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I feel your pain. I put a set of Goodridge SS front lines on the track bike a couple of years ago and they were not labeled and did not have any directions with them either. I probably spent an hour doing different end and line swaps till I got something that worked.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm surprised. Did you check with Galfer? I installed their GP line kit many years ago and there were downloadable instructions with pics. I also happened to download the SB kit instructions and they were similarly informative. Both instructed you to remove the lower triple clamp cover. I didn't like that and called them about it. They said that they preferred that it stay there but couldn't figure out how to explain how to modify it. So they just had it removed. I cut a slot in mine and it's been fine. It seemed to me that they could have included a template to place over the the cover to show where to cut.

With regard to twisting, etc., Speigler kits come with some simple tools that allow you to rotate the fitting on the line to get the alignment right.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised. Did you check with Galfer? I installed their GP line kit many years ago and there were downloadable instructions with pics. I also happened to download the SB kit instructions and they were similarly informative. Both instructed you to remove the lower triple clamp cover. I didn't like that and called them about it. They said that they preferred that it stay there but couldn't figure out how to explain how to modify it. So they just had it removed. I cut a slot in mine and it's been fine. It seemed to me that they could have included a template to place over the the cover to show where to cut.

With regard to twisting, etc., Speigler kits come with some simple tools that allow you to rotate the fitting on the line to get the alignment right.
Yeah my bad on the instructions, didn't read them until after the fact. Looks like my problem centered around how I oriented the banjos on the caliper. Instructions show them installed so that the right side banjo is attached with the curved part of the fitting oriented forward and has the line running out & away from the tire/caliper and has the bend on the right side of the stop on the caliper. The left side is oriented more rearward but still has the line running out & away from the tire/caliper. Stock lines were on with the line to the left side of the stop and oriented so the line swept rearward & up to the MC & crossover. I was trying to orient the Galfer lines the same way the stock (& Core Moto) lines went on. Even if I had installed them like the instructions show, I still would not want them running outward & away from the caliper to the side. Having them oriented toward the rear & straight up toward the MC seems more practical & just looks better I think.

The Core Moto's, like the Speigler's, allow for the fittings to be rotated except that no tools are needed. Just hold the line & fitting and twist them as desired. I didn't have to twist them as they were already in a position that bolted right on.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no doubt the Galfer's are good lines but another reason I went with the Core Moto's is that I just wanted blue, not that you can even see much of that behind the blue body panels. Vanity got the best of me lol but glad to get SS lines on it.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@billv I'm laughing (& cringing) a little after being in the coolant thread, & remembering you asking if I had followed the instructions in this one. Apologies for my convoluted (& embarrassing) attempt to describe, in writing, my problems installing the Galfer lines. Here is a pic of how Galfer said to install the left-side line. I didn't like it facing forward like that (and my attempts to rotate it toward the rear caused the twisting) so it was worth it to me to discard the $99 I spent on the Galfer lines and buy the Core Moto's. I know the Galfer's are a great product and would have worked fine, I just like the Core Moto's more and not just because they're blue.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have used Venhill SS brake lines on my last K51000, come in many colors too.
They were great- then I sold that bike.
FleaBay has them.
Soon I will be getting another set for my current LIterBike.

The are made in UK aparently.
The are unique in that you get a pre made line- and then you get the fittings that screw on to the lines.
That way, you can twist it however you want and get it to line up perfectly.
Many different colors too.
Slightly less $$ than most. I have used them, really nice product, no complaints.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Venhill's look similar to the Core Moto's and are a little less expensive too. The CM's are custom made per order and have pressed on fittings that allow the fittings to twist but have no threads (except the banjo bolts of course). I've braked very hard with them and have had no leaks of any sort (something I was concerned might be a problem with rotating fittings). But I didn't have to twist them, they just bolted right on. Here's the set I put on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts