Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

Starter teeth keep chipping

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  rv6john 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 GSXR 1000 I've owned it for about 10yrs. I never had issues until about 2yr ago when the starters gears chipped off. So drained an flushed engine put another starter on lasted about a week. So repeat but this I replaced all gears and parts in contact also the cover. Lasted about 2 weeks. So repeat but put new battery in because it did keep having low charge so I thought for sure it was that the whole time. Now all new oem parts new battery etc. This time it's done good for about 6-7mth and now it's starting but has a horrible sound so I took all apart to find 1 tooth on new starter broke. So what am I missing or doing wrong help me please I love this bike but it seems to not love me back. Thanks if there is anything.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.

These are the teeth on the starter motor shaft itself?

Can you add some pictures of the failure points?

Reactions: Rigxr1000
#4 ·
Did you ever remove the starter gear before the teeth started chipping? If that’s the case, I would guess that something wasn’t put back right with the starter gear and all the spacers etc.

Reactions: Todd_Sails
#8 ·
No never had touched it just pulled over one day and went to start it and boom and has been a headache ever since. I used a couple cheap starters then thought that was why and I dropped the 600 on the oem starter did great for the longest and broke again. I've been riding forever but not big on the repairs trying to figure it all out.

#6 ·
Use the workshop manual, to make sure you have all your parts correct. There's a number of washers/ thrust washers that need to be in place. Make sure to use the gaskets, they form part of the clearance.
Also, check that the locating dowels are in place. I believe there are 4. When buying covers off ebay, these are often not supplied.

#9 ·
Both starter and reduction gears are done and need to be replaced. That is obvious.

From your pictures, the gears are only partially meshed so I can see why they would fail.

In your last picture, is the reduction gear all the way in against the case?

Are the proper washers in the correct locations? (#4 and #5)

Font Parallel Auto part Rectangle Screenshot

#11 ·
What I'm wondering is if one or both of the washers are missing from the outside allowing the reduction gear to move out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.