Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up guys, Im Pissed and Frustrated, I changed my stator one time, and since then I have been noticing oil coming from the bottohem of stator (looks like) I have replaced the gasket 3 times, plus I even took it to the shop and had them replace it and it still leaks. I have used permatrex plenty of times. And I also put a :laughingrlock washer and teflon tap around the stator bolts. can someone please help me and point me in the right direcetion so i can get back on the road thanks!!!!!:shifty

·
Registered
70 Posts
No need to post 2 times in different places. Most people work and do not have access to the forum at that time so it takes a bit longer to get a reply during the day. I wish I could help you though, but alas, sadly I do not have the knowledge yet.

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
Same thing happened to me ... the only way I found it was to remove all the plastics, clean every tiny drop of oil/dirt, run the bike and watch very very closely. Turned out that I was over tightening the stator bolt and putting a miniscule crack in the top off my stator
Hope this was any kinda help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still pissed, I cleaned it up real nice and rode it right down the road, and it started leaking again, I tightened all bolts and I'm plum out of options, you can really notice the leak when you get down on it

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you making sure that you are tightening the bolts down evenly and in a cross pattern?? And as the other poster said.... over tightening the bolts could crack the aluminum. It doesn't take much.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
put up some pics

·
The Bestest Racer
3,027 Posts
You could have over tightened the cover and cracked it. The cover is just thin cast aluminum, doesn't take much to damage it. When you cleaned the cover and test rode it, did you note where the leak was originating? Do you have photos?

When I installed mine I used an OEM gasket as well as RTV in the location(s) noted by the manual.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Why is y'all using silicone to seal this gasket. If thou use the right gasket material there is no need for glue.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
154 Posts
If I were in your shoes, I'd just try to replace it. That's just me.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You should clean it thoroughly, and find the exact spot it's leaking. It has so much junk on it right now, it's hard to tell. There always the possibility that it's leaking somewhere near the stator cover, and blowing back. Clean it up and find the leak.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
When installing the stator you do not use Gasket sealant. Just install and go. How did you clean the surface area?

·
The Bestest Racer
3,027 Posts
Why is y'all using silicone to seal this gasket. If thou use the right gasket material there is no need for glue.

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
As per the manual, you do use RTV on the stator cover. (At least on my K1)

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
That Suzuki bond really is not intended to put across the whole gasket. Those locations if used there rtv would be fine, but if you do not have it on there it would work well. You can pick up the same type of gasket material at your local autozone or auto parts. Technically Yes your right you would need it but it is not or should not be causing the leak he has.
If you tightened your cover too tight it could crack the tab causing it to leak from there.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
You can fix it depending on where the hairline crack is, but it would be a better and smarter move to just purchase another one and if you have the little extra money to get a aftermarket cover.:thumbup:

Hey guys im pretty sure I probably cracked it :( If I did is there any fix for it, or do I just neede to replace the cover instead?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate all the Help, its for sale after this, :D, no more used bikes for me, Im getting a new one:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
You can fix it depending on where the hairline crack is, but it would be a better and smarter move to just purchase another one and if you have the little extra money to get a aftermarket cover.:thumbup:
when i bought my k2 it had a cheap china stator cover on it and started leaking this spring.( crack along the front from previous owner laying it down.) payed the little extra and went with woodcraft. put it on with just the gasket and no problems:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could have over tightened the cover and cracked it. The cover is just thin cast aluminum, doesn't take much to damage it. When you cleaned the cover and test rode it, did you note where the leak was originating? Do you have photos?

When I installed mine I used an OEM gasket as well as RTV in the location(s) noted by the manual.
Where are the places to put RTV ? Thanks for any information

·
Registered
605 Posts
^What bike? All I see in the K6 1000 manual is to apply 1207B to the grommet for the lead wires. Note also that the cover is magnesium, not aluminum, though that might vary. Permatex makes several products that can additionally be applied to the gasket or used in place of a gasket. Suggest that you start with a small bead of high temp red RTV on the gasket. Finally some mounting screws use sealing washers that aren't supposed to be reused. See the service manual for which ones. They are associated with holes that are drilled through into the crankcase. Loctite will tend to prevent leaks, sometimes so well that the washers aren't needed.

Make sure that the leak isn't somewhere else and air flow is moving it around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts