Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!
Approx a week ago I relocated my R/R to a side bracket after having the bike a few months to help keep it cool. After relocating the R/R I rode the bike for a couple days with no issues. On the third day after relocation I started the bike up and saw immediate smoking coming from the bike. I shut it off and put it away until I had time to get into it and take a look. Upon inspection tonight I found out the stator wires right where they come out of the stator cover had shorted and burned up. I am already planning on replacing the stator and the R/R and as I'm not sure which one caused the issue, and when I was relocating the R/R I noticed it wasn't OEM so I want to get an OEM anyway. Is anyone familiar with an issue similar to this one and maybe know what might have caused it? I know the R/R and stator are notorious on these bikes for going bad I'm just curious if anyone has any knowledge specific to wires burning up because after a few hours of browsing forums I couldn't find any threads that quite matched what I experienced.
Tire Wheel Motorcycle Fuel tank Automotive tire
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Telephone

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
Hmmm.. The connector between the R/R and the stator is a known issue if it gets old and corroded.

My guess is the wires were pinched on installation? You will know when you take it apart.

Reactions: mharris540

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.. The connector between the R/R and the stator is a known issue if it gets old and corroded.

My guess is the wires were pinched on installation? You will know when you take it apart.
I was definitely thinking age could have possibly been an issue as it was clear the R/R had been replaced prior but I have no idea the last time or if the stator has ever been replaced. It was just weird to me that it happened so shortly after i relocated the R/R. I guess I'll find out if that was the case after I replace and start her back up.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
Possibly old wires being flexed around when you moved the R/R and cracking the insulation?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello!
$hit will happening time to time. I think the stator wires burned out is not caused by the r/r relocation directly. Its occasional, I guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello!
$hit will happening time to time. I think the stator wires burned out is not caused by the r/r relocation directly. Its occasional, I guess.
That's what I'm hoping. The wire from stator to R/R definitely had plenty of length so it definitely wasn't really stressed during the relocation. I went ahead and got a stator and R/R from ricks on the way especially seeing as the R/R looks to me like a cheap knock off so hopefully get those replaced and I'll be good to go. Gonna go ahead a put some engine ice in her too since it gets pretty hot down where I am.

·
Administrator
11,219 Posts
That's what I'm hoping. The wire from stator to R/R definitely had plenty of length so it definitely wasn't really stressed during the relocation. I went ahead and got a stator and R/R from ricks on the way especially seeing as the R/R looks to me like a cheap knock off so hopefully get those replaced and I'll be good to go. Gonna go ahead a put some engine ice in her too since it gets pretty hot down where I am.
If you don't want to dump the oil, just lean the bike against a wall leaning to the right.

Don't forget the gasket, RTV does not work except for a small dab on each side of the rubber grommet the wires pass through.

Do pay attention to where the starter gear washers/spacers come out and put them back the same.

Last, clean and use some loctite on the stator bolt threads before torquing them to spec. They have been known to come loose. A dab of loctite on the screw holding the wire retainer is not a bad idea either.

Reactions: XPOH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don't want to dump the oil, just lean the bike against a wall leaning to the right.

Don't forget the gasket, RTV does not work except for a small dab on each side of the rubber grommet the wires pass through.

Do pay attention to where the starter gear washers/spacers come out and put them back the same.

Last, clean and use some loctite on the stator bolt threads before torquing them to spec. They have been known to come loose. A dab of loctite on the screw holding the wire retainer is not a bad idea either.
It needs an oil change anyway so I just have it up on the stands not too worried about loss. Yeah I've taken the starter gear out before had to replace that O ring when i first bought the bike it can for sure be a pain lol.

I saw the loctite advice from the electrical system thread you had sent me definitely plan on putting some blue loctite on both wire retainer and stator bolts!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts