Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can anyone help with where to find a steering dampener for my 1987 GSXR750. There is nothing there !! eBay showed only one in the states and it’s sold .. is there a aftermarket one available ?? In Australia preferably
here ‘s hoping
Mark

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Oh man, that is gonna be tough. It was mounted on the left side of the bike from the frame under the tank to the forks correct? I could not find one for my '89 1100. I think they are the same or very similar. I found one OEM in Sweden but wasn't about to put out a grand for it. Ohlins makes good dampers and I will likely go that route in the spring. Check the length of stroke before you buy.

Reactions: Jimmy boy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Tinsnips.. thanks for your reply .. I have not found anything as yet and Ohlins or Race tech cannot help ..
if you do find a solution please let me know :)
Cheers
Mark in Oz

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Will do. You post up if you find a source too.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
There are many "cheap" ones on Fleabay. They state to be adjustable, and rebuildable. I might think if they are flawed, you might be able to fix them to work better. They are pretty cheap, might be worth finding out.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Rebuildable is the key.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
I'm thinking you can change the fluid out for a better viscosity. At around $60-70 I can't see them being very good out of the box. But with a little work?

Edit: My mistake... $30... I'm buying one, just to know how good or bad they really are...

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
These look to be of a little better quality...

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Ohlins makes some dampers that are used by real racers. They have a hexagonal magnesium body and run from the triple clamp to the frame rail. Hard to find any info about them and they may be god-awful expensive:

Also see this. Note the last pic.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Ohlins makes some dampers that are used by real racers. They have a hexagonal magnesium body and run from the triple clamp to the frame rail. Hard to find any info about them and they may be god-awful expensive:

Also see this. Note the last pic.
Frame to fork tube is how my bike is configured. Requires a much longer damper than the front mounted units on later models. Unfortunately my forks are missing the ring mount so some fab work will be required.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Good find! I will check this out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just ordered it .. I will let you know when it arrives .. same price as a second hand one in Canada .. should do the job :))

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

This was my 1997 GSX-R750- last year of the carbed 750's.
I only had it 3 months, and put 4,000miles of purely sport pleasure riding on it in that time.
I sold this one just after buying my first K5 LiterBike.
You can see the steering damper on the left frame rail just under the tank. It's very thin. Seemed to work OK.
I'm guessing it was aftermarket?

I forgot just how good this bike looked. It always ran well too!

Reactions: Spyder13

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Nice looking collection!

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
I ordered this one. I figured for the price, I can't go too wrong. If it really sucks, I'll fab it to the mini bike, and order a different one, LOL.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
I'm pretty confident that the stock one ON the bike isn't doing much anymore after 25 years...

Reactions: Tinsnips
1 - 20 of 35 Posts