Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I'm pretty confident that the stock one ON the bike isn't doing much anymore after 25 years...
It might be worth a bleeding top off with some Fork oil?

On my K5- the OEM actually worked by simply taking it off, bleeding the air out, and topping it off with fork oil.
HUGE improvment. I didn't even change all the oil out!
However there were no signs of it leaking any oil either.
Over the more than a decade, I guess small amounts of air get in there over time,
it cause the first 1-2 cm of movement to be 'un dampened'
that first 1-2 cm of travel of the damper IS where it needs to do most of it's dampening however in most cases.

Just my 2 cents.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
It might be worth a bleeding top off with some Fork oil?

On my K5- the OEM actually worked by simply taking it off, bleeding the air out, and topping it off with fork oil.
HUGE improvment. I didn't even change all the oil out!
However there were no signs of it leaking any oil either.
Over the more than a decade, I guess small amounts of air get in there over time,
it cause the first 1-2 cm of movement to be 'un dampened'
that first 1-2 cm of travel of the damper IS where it needs to do most of it's dampening however in most cases.

Just my 2 cents.
In many cases the old dampers are sealed and not serviceable. That is the issue I have. I was discussing it with Bill and he made the point that if air got in through the seal around the shaft it is likely no good and will continue to allow air back in again after it is bled.

·
Registered
684 Posts
"On my K5- the OEM actually worked by simply taking it off, bleeding the air out, and topping it off with fork oil."
My K6 was the same. Fooling with it became tiresome. It completely went away with an Ohlins and I can easily adjust the damping level.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
Ok, well I just received the Fleabay damper. It is an FX Racing brand (possibly a knockoff) and seems to be functional, and of good build quality. I will post some pictures before, during, and after install.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
Ok, I lied... I am terrible at getting pictures, much less posting them. The FX Racing Damper seems to work very well. Easy to adjust too. For the price, I can recommend it for sure.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Ok, I lied... I am terrible at getting pictures, much less posting them. The FX Racing Damper seems to work very well. Easy to adjust too. For the price, I can recommend it for sure.
You know the rule. Pics or it didn't happen. Don't leave your oil boiler brothers hangin. I need a damper too.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
Well, it will be a picture of a broken bike with a new damper on it, LOL. I'll see about getting one tonight.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I 'hung' the front of my bike by the frame sliders yesterday.
Moved the bars back and forth. Yep, OEM damper that I bled a few years ago still doing what it's supposed to do.

That adjustable one looks nice!

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Oh, I like that. Nice little unit Sir.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
This is on a '95 750? NIce!

You goona ride on that front tire? LOL

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
Front tire is new. Just dirty as hell from my cornfield excursion. Bike is in a "rebuild" state.

·
SuperMod of the North
28,160 Posts
Killer rug though. Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,563 Posts
LOL, that is my garage floor. I guess it was used as an office years ago. I like it. Beats laying on concrete, and keeps the noise levels down.

It doesn't react well to welding though, LOL.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts