1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,849 Posts
Stock w/ heavier fluid in it. Save some $$$
That works but you don't have the adjustability that you have with aftermarket ones. My S1000 came with an adjustable one and on the stiffest sitting it was no where as stiff as about 5 clicks of the Ohlins

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Stock w/ heavier fluid in it. Save some $$$
I have to agree, start with that and see how it feels. Its no where near as compariable as the aftermarket ones but it may be all you need for now.

I have no idea on the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am exploring my options since I have to troubleshoot. The FI SD code came on and is throwing a C-93 code on dealer mode. If i dont need a New damper I'll try the heavier fluid but if i have to replace it lets just get a better one. :bounce

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Solenoid valve huh, well be sure to actually trouble shoot it before you decide to replace it and come to find out its something else. I just looked at the trouble shooting section for my bike and it seems that it may not be a simple fix.

Worse case you can just get a sim plug.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Can I ask why you need an aftermarket damper? Is the bike tracking or are you getting head shake?
The FI SD code came on and is throwing a C-93 code on dealer mode.
I am setting the bike for the track use
like i mentioned before just thinking ahead just in case i have to replace it once I troubleshoot what is causing the FI code to pop up

·
Registered
576 Posts
So the 2008 has an electronic stock damper?
If so I would try and keep it. I only asked cause everyone feels they need one to make the bike smoother when all they really need is to set the suspension up correct. The Damper is only for when everything is set up correctly and you make a mistake while riding, it helps you regain control.

Plus if you are racing they are mandatory in some clubs. :smash:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So the 2008 has an electronic stock damper?
If so I would try and keep it. I only asked cause everyone feels they need one to make the bike smoother when all they really need is to set the suspension up correct. The Damper is only for when everything is set up correctly and you make a mistake while riding, it helps you regain control.

Plus if you are racing they are mandatory in some clubs. :smash:
Yeap the 07-08 GSXR1000 came with an electronic damper. I am also putting some money away to get the suspension done. Either racetech or ktech. once i get the money together i will figure out.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Ktech and Race Tech are WAY apart on the spectrum. If you are going to race or do a lot of trackdays save up for cartridges and save your money on the valve kits. Just put the correct springs in there. As for Shocks I wouldn't run a Racetech, you can get a much better option and not spend a lot more. KTech's are really high dollar. Look into JRI, and Penske.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a follow up, the cause of the FI light was a broken wire right where it connects to the steering damper (on the pictuere)
. Not sure how it got damage but it is fix now. I had to re-wire that section.

As right now I am just going to keep the OEM steering Damper but I will still like to hear your input and experience with an after market SD

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeap the 07-08 GSXR1000 came with an electronic damper. I am also putting some money away to get the suspension done. Either racetech or ktech. once i get the money together i will figure out.
What the hell does that have to do with a steering dampener?
You OP mentioned it in a side note? :smash:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts