Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please give some ideas I’m at a loss. I have a 15 gsxr 750. When I bought it the steering stem had a knock to it. I jacked it up and the wheel had play from side to side not front to back. I can see the steering stem lower bracket move a little. I replaced with stock bearing and still the same thing. I replaced with all balls bearings and changed both front and back wheel bearings but I’m still getting the play from the bottom yolk. I even put a thin washer under the race to see if the bearing would finally set. But it’s till not seated all the way in the race. The bearing is driven all the way down on the steering stem. Idk what else to do. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It obviously sounds like loose steering head bearings but I don't understand how there would be side to side but no front to back play. I'm guessing you know that the bearings are set with the two nuts under the upper triple?

·
Mod of the North
29,974 Posts
Wild guess but is the play in the forks or is the wheel sliding sideways with the play being in the axle? Is it possible there is a spacer missing in the front? Can't see how as that wouldwreak havoc with the discs and calipers. Also forks clamped tight in lower triple?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lower steering stem bearing is not seating properly in the race. I don’t get it. They’re all balls bearings. The bearing is seated all the way down on the stem and so are the races to the frame. I put a washer and still doesn’t seat properly.

It obviously sounds like loose steering head bearings but I don't understand how there would be side to side but no front to back play. I'm guessing you know that the bearings are set with the two nuts under the upper triple?
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wild guess but is the play in the forks or is the wheel sliding sideways with the play being in the axle? Is it possible there is a spacer missing in the front? Can't see how as that wouldwreak havoc with the discs and calipers. Also forks clamped tight in lower triple?
The play is definitely coming from the lower steering stem. I can see it move slightly. The spacer is there is on the axle and I did the wheel bearings a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The play is definitely coming from the lower steering stem. I can see it move slightly. The spacer is there is on the axle and I did the wheel bearings a few weeks ago.
What has me confused is the side to side play not back and forth as u typically would have. I can clearly see it’s coming from the lower steering stem. And if I hold the break and move the bike front to back I can hear the play.

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7
35 Posts
Could the lower race ( frame ) be egg shaped ? This would cause play left and right. You could measure this.
Does the lower bearing roll smoothly through 360 ?
Or try feeling the bearing move with only the lower triple pressed up into the race.

·
Administrator
11,696 Posts
Could the lower race ( frame ) be egg shaped ? This would cause play left and right. You could measure this.
Does the lower bearing roll smoothly through 360 ?
Or try feeling the bearing move with only the lower triple pressed up into the race.
This is an interesting thought. If the race is in cocked, it could do this.

Reactions: craigfer63

·
Registered
176 Posts
Can someone please give some ideas I’m at a loss. I have a 15 gsxr 750. When I bought it the steering stem had a knock to it.
Can you just cover the detailed meaning of that? You mean it has had an accident or something?

If the bearing is engaging with something out-of-round, then you may well have that problem. I can't imagine what else could cause that, TBH.

Let us know what you find out further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts