Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm still trying to get my 01' GSXR1000 started (http://www.gsxr.com/showthread.php?t=51). Like I said before the bike has been in storage for almost 3 years and it has somewhere around 3,000 miles on it. It also was well taken cared of and was in good running condition before it was stored. I'm looking in the trouble shooting section of the service manual and it gives some common causes why an engine wont start.

I would appreciate any of your opinions on the chances that it is likely that any of the following "possible causes" may be the source of my gsxr not being able to start (no modifications has been made to the bike).

Compression too low
1. Out of adjustment valve clearance.
2. Worn valve guides or poor seating of valves.
3. Misting valves.
4. Excessively worn piston rings
5. Worn-down cylinder bores

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I think none of what your listed is the problem and have you got the C00 to be in the middle? also You checked ya fuel pump works and also make sure you have that line that connects to the airbox is connected. Replace spark plugs too and oil if you have not. Do you hear your fuel pump prime and does your butterfly valves move on your fuel rack?

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
I would check all the fuel system and clean out the fuel pump, fuel lines, injectors, they are probably all gummed up and could have rust in them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the code i get now is `C00 (the dash is at the top), my fuel pump works (i "jump tested" it but it gives out alot more that the service manual specifies (about 10 times as much) and I do hear it start up when I turn on the key switch. I belive that all my hoses and lines are connected and I have replaced the spark plugs but not the oil ( i wanted to start the bike first the change the oil). i also have to look up the butterfly rack thing and the idea about cleaning the fuel system is a good one.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
Look in your service manual and move that line to the middle so that it looks like this C00- then I think it will crank right up. I think that is its set up that high its hard to start. I think i was messing with mines and i think with it set high. If you don't know where it is i can post a pict later as i have 2 sets in the garage

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
**** said:
the code i get now is `C00 (the dash is at the top), my fuel pump works (i "jump tested" it but it gives out alot more that the service manual specifies (about 10 times as much) and I do hear it start up when I turn on the key switch. I belive that all my hoses and lines are connected and I have replaced the spark plugs but not the oil ( i wanted to start the bike first the change the oil). i also have to look up the butterfly rack thing and the idea about cleaning the fuel system is a good one.
Mine before I start it always shows The - at the top until I start it, then it goes to the normal -C00, so I don't think that if your problem. Even if it is off a little bit, that shouldn't make it not start.

I would pull one of the spark plugs, or all for that matter, and see what they look like, if they are completely dry, then your probably not getting any fuel through the injectors, but if they are really wet then your not getting any spark.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
are you sure that this couldn't be part of his problem as the TPS senses where throttle position is and like you said when you 1st turn your ign on it reconize that tp is at closed position then when bike is started the input reconize that bike is running and then sets accordingly. If anything he should atleast get that corrected before going on wouldn't you agree?

He states he is getting fuel and everything and spark (according to him) so i think its may be the wires that were possibly cut not connected or something. You might be able to buy a harness and if you send the to bahammas and declare it as a gift you will not pay as much or avoid duty fees (its what i do to buy things in Canada and other places)

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
audi1031 said:
are you sure that this couldn't be part of his problem as the TPS senses where throttle position is and like you said when you 1st turn your ign on it reconize that tp is at closed position then when bike is started the input reconize that bike is running and then sets accordingly. If anything he should atleast get that corrected before going on wouldn't you agree?

He states he is getting fuel and everything and spark (according to him) so i think its may be the wires that were possibly cut not connected or something. You might be able to buy a harness and if you send the to bahammas and declare it as a gift you will not pay as much or avoid duty fees (its what i do to buy things in Canada and other places)
Well the only way to adjust the TPS is to have the bike running right? If he can't start the bike then how will he adjust the sensor.

And he claims that he is getting fuel from the fuel pump, but not necessarily out of the injectors. The would be my first point to look at, because they can get clogged so easy and with the bike sitting for yeas, there is no telling how gummed up the injectors got. Thats where I would start.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ok, if the bike was running fine when put away, all the low compression stuff doesn't apply. How were the wires cut? I've seen mice chew through wires like that when things are stored. Is it possible that there are more wires that this could have happened to? The other possibility is if said mouse deceided to build a nest in the air cleaner/throttle body choking the air off. I could be way off on this, but I have seen it happen. Also did you change the fuel? Even with stabilizer, I'd be skeptical of 3 year old fuel.

Right now it's 31deg and light snow falling. I think you owe us an apology for rubbing in the fact you're in the Bahamas! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awwww I'm Sorry Guys I should have been more sensitive (about the weather).

here's the latest update:

I just discovered that I was checking the dealer codes the wrong way, the manual say that you have to start or crank the bike for more than 4 seconds. Well i did that and came up with`C46, Exhaust control valve actuator, and would'nt you know it, I found another cut wire. I repaired the wire and the C46 code went away and C00 showed up with the dash in the middle, BUT after a couple of attempted starts the C46 code returned but that may have been because of my bad crimping (the wire that I fixed came loose after awhile).

I also ran a couple of tests with my multimeter and I also found a wire that appears to not have any continuity between it and ground so I'm going to trace that one tommorow along with re-fixing the other wire.

I still don't think the bike will start after i solve the c46 problem but atleast i'll be making progress. As for the mice, the wires around the damaged ones don't have any scuff marks on them. I think its sabatoge, but then again I think Lee Harvey did'nt shoot JFK either :hmmm:

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
your just gonna have to go every every wire in there and see if you can find more that are cut.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was doing some multi-meter tests on the EXCS, the test required that I get approximately 3.1k (ohms) but I only got 2.86k, was this close enough to be called approximate?

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
order a cd of GSXR1000 manual (ebay) or buy one from ski I am sure he can burn one up for you. It will have all the Readings and measurments for you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if its the service manual your talking about, I have one already. thats where i got the info to run the tests I just dont know if the reading I got is close enough to be considered approximate.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
It should tell you in the manual if it is good or bad

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Yea, it should give you a spec, +/- to go off of.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nah!!!, the manual only gives the approxamate reading, but I spoke with a friend (who don't know crap about bikes, but is an electronics technician) and he said that 2.86k was close enough to 3.1k

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
did you ever check to see if you were getting fuel out of the injectors?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No I never checked the injectors, I am trying to focus on getting rid of the C46 code first and any others that may pop up afterwards. I don't wanna do to many things at once cause I tend to get fustrated and start messin things up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts