Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Technically no it isn't. But almost every aftermarket pipe you see on a bike is "for off road use only" or "for race use only" I dont think you will ever hear anything about it though. I never have.

·
Registered
50 Posts
gsxrmike said:
is a yoshimura rs 3 pipe street legal? On their website it says they are for off road use only.
I know in MA they WERE going to start the loudness testing on bikes but it never happened. Based on the states lack of $$$$, I would not be surprised it they tried it again.

I know on my old ZX7 I had the yoshimura pipe and it was too load.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They are all for race use only. Other wise they would be quiter, not make as much power, and have to get all of the government certifications. Pretty muck every after market part you buy for your bike or truck/car for that matter is for off road use only.
You don't get pulled over in your car for having a K&N air filter do you? :lol:
As long as you buy something decent (not a D&D) and don't drive around reving it up every where and leave it in first gear all the time you should be fine.
Their is nothing like a katana with a D&D that has little bike sindrome. :lol: I would give them a ticket too.
They started screwing around with the sport bikes around here for a little while. Every time I get pulled over I ask them how come they don't pull the choppers over because they are twice as loud as my bike. Choppers are usually a bunch of jack asses that rev the shit out of it every where. I guess if it aint fast you might as well paint it up pretty and make a bunch of noise. :laughingr
I got a jack ass in my neighbor hood with a nice chopper. He sits in his drive way and revs it up for about 5 min. (how about he takes the 5 min he spent reving it up in the drive way idling out of the subdivision) Then he takes off and drives through the subdivision like it is a race track in first gear the whole time. My fucking windows shake when he is a block away. He got the bike a couple months ago and he still does it so I guess no one is complaining. So hopefully no one complains when I get my turbo gsxr 1000 done and drive through the sub with my dump pipe. :bounce

·
Registered
88 Posts
On a side not. I know a guy in texas that gets alot of tickets and hassel on his turbo busa with a dump pipe. He asked the same question about the choppers and found out that since it is a custom tittle their are no laws on the exhaust and noise. He is now trying to get a custom tittle for his busa.

·
Registered
187 Posts
badass1000 said:
He asked the same question about the choppers and found out that since it is a custom tittle their are no laws on the exhaust and noise. He is now trying to get a custom tittle for his busa.
The laws on improper mufflers is not written in a manner that allows loopholes like that. State law is not written to force limits on the manufactures of factory bikes or custom mufflers. State law, in regards to mufflers is written to put restrictions on the actual operation of the "muffler". Therefore, just because a bike has been customized doesnt make it exempt from the law. Just because I build a custom noise maker does'nt make it legal to make noise. Some states actually list an allotted DB range. Others simply leave the law broad, and leave it to officers descretion. The defendent would then bascially has the option to appear in court, and would have a chance to allow the judge or prosecutor to hear how loud the bike is (in the parking lot of couse).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.