Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any body give me good tips on being stretched 12inches! ive heard its to long for dragracing but i need different opinions! i have a 03 gsxr 1000 12inches swingarm shinko tire stock motor stock shock i weight 215-220 pounds bike is strapped in front! need tip never raced but wanna try it but not sure being that long what the bike might do!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I dont see why you couldnt race it. Doubt youll have trouble keeping the front end down. Not much point in having stretched that long if its all stock. Usually the only reason people stretch them is to help keep the front wheel down after you add power and regear. But then I gues theres the people that just do it for looks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
can any body give me good tips on being stretched 12inches! ive heard its to long for dragracing but i need different opinions! i have a 03 gsxr 1000 12inches swingarm shinko tire stock motor stock shock i weight 215-220 pounds bike is strapped in front! need tip never raced but wanna try it but not sure being that long what the bike might do!!
12 inches will work at the track but your gonna have to tune the suspension to your wieght and get it right.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
SUSPENSION is the key. That long and you have no traction on the rear end if set up wrong or not set up at all. Soften the rear. 12 is LONNNNG :shifty

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
What 07gsxrstrapped said, the bike being that long you need your suspension set up for your weight! If you don't know how to tune it, read and search don't ask! YOu'll be wasting time waiting for responses that may or may not be what you need! Search around and read, that'll be your best friend!

·
Registered
287 Posts
12 inch is garbage. It takes longer to get your suspension tuned correctly. I made this mistake on my first drag bike.
It really doesnt need to be that long for the power you already have. But with that being said if you already have the swing arm on there you need to look at taking your shock out and having it re-worked to your weight and length. Because of the drastic change in your geometry of the swing arm, the shock will never operate to what your looking for. If anything your probably spinning like crazy currently.

Theres 2 ways you can do it.

1. Pull it and get yourself a Drag Shock (Penske) 800 dollars
This is what I did and it fixed my problem of it spinning the tire.

2. Pull the shock and send it to Race tech for re valving,re springing ect.. (This way is cheaper than buying an out right drag shock) 4 to 500 dollars

·
Registered
114 Posts
The hell with the penske shock or having it redone. You need to do some measuring first off.

Measure from the rear axle to the ground
Measure from the swing arm bolt at the frame to the ground
the swingarm bolt should be an inch to an inch and half higher then the axle.

Now you need to sit on the bike and bounce on it and see how much the shock gives. You dont want much more than about an 1 to 1 1/2" . there is a screw at the top of the shock that controls how soft the shock is turn it to the right to tighten and left to loosen.

Now if you cant get it to work with the stock shock just get on ebay and buy a busa shock and swap them out ! Alot cheaper and works great. Trust me I know we put busa shocks on every 1000 we do and im pretty sure we are making way more power than your making.

·
Registered
31 Posts
12 inches is too much. 4-8 is plenty. Look like you belong, not like you're trying to hard to belong.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
12 inches is too much. 4-8 is plenty. Look like you belong, not like you're trying to hard to belong.
He's not looking to fit in, he's looking to go fast. There's a difference in your bike looking serious and being serious, he's trying to figure out what's best to be serious!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.