Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing to know what size helicoil to install where the rider seat bolts go. Or the thread and pitch of the bolt.

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
I'm needing to know what size helicoil to install where the rider seat bolts go. Or the thread and pitch of the bolt.
Can you be a bit more clear about what you are looking for?

Rectangle Font Line Triangle Parallel

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's M6x1. You have to be careful starting them, particularly if the bike is on the kickstand, i.e. leaning at an angle. People sometimes drill them out and use PIP pins. But they're pricey and it's a tad complicated to do well because of the step on the OEM screw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's M6x1. You have to be careful starting them, particularly if the bike is on the kickstand, i.e. leaning at an angle. People sometimes drill them out and use PIP pins. But they're pricey and it's a tad complicated to do well because of the step on the OEM screw.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
Suzuki GSXR 1000 K7
7 Posts
I tapped the holes out to M8 1.25 and use M8 Allen button head bolts and washer. The clamping force on the seat mount needs more than the M6 bolts can give. (with my fat arse on it 😂) And the helicoil needs M8 thread anyway.
Edit :- I have used M8 bolts with shoulder. (custom made)

·
Registered
783 Posts
As I recall there are pads on the seat to take the rider weight and the screws mainly keep it in place. Lightech reproduced the screws in aluminum, which ought to be weaker. I switched to them several years ago and haven't had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
10,386 Posts
^ What Billv said. The bolts are actually shoulder bolts and are designed not to clamp the front set tabs, just to keep the seat from lifting.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I had stripped one my hex heads that is on the screw/bolt itself. IIRC the same bolt is used to secure the front on the gas tank too? Never the threads however. Maybe it got cross-threaded somehow, so the threads stripped?
If one side is still good and holds, that's really all you need anyway.

* It is however also what holds that plastic trim piece on the side of the tank- the one that has that velcro holding it too. The one you have to 'Whack it on' LOL

As said, overtightening is futile. snug is all you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts