Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only lived here a few weeks now so I don't know the laws that great. When entering the freeway do bikes have to stop at those traffic meter lights? Do you have to stop even if you just split to the front of the line? Also, I'm pretty sure it's allowed because I passed the highway patrol doing it but just wanted to double check, we're allowed to ride in the carpool/hov lane right? Even if riding solo?

·
Dem Broncos!!!
5,994 Posts
I've only lived here a few weeks now so I don't know the laws that great. When entering the freeway do bikes have to stop at those traffic meter lights? Do you have to stop even if you just split to the front of the line? Also, I'm pretty sure it's allowed because I passed the highway patrol doing it but just wanted to double check, we're allowed to ride in the carpool/hov lane right? Even if riding solo?
Yes you have to stop at the lights before the on ramp but you can "white line" to the front of the traffic. It always pisses the cages off but it's the law. Just take off as soon as the light turns green.

For the HOV lanes, you're good even riding by your self :thumbup:
The only time you would not be ok riding on the HOV lanes is if there are signs up saying "fast pass only". That's Cali's transponder system that deducts $ from a transmitter that ppl put in their cage to get in the HOV by themselves.

You will start to notice these the more you ride here ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1356741962.472622.jpg

Welcome to Cali brother.

Just some friendly advice about lane splitting, always keep 2 fingers on the clutch and 2 on the break. Not a day goes by where I don't have to dip out of the way of cars. They are not looking for you and most are butt hurt that you are passing them while they sit in traffic. Be safe my friend :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yes you have to stop at the lights before the on ramp but you can "white line" to the front of the traffic. It always pisses the cages off but it's the law. Just take off as soon as the light turns green.

For the HOV lanes, you're good even riding by your self :thumbup:
The only time you would not be ok riding on the HOV lanes is if there are signs up saying "fast pass only". That's Cali's transponder system that deducts $ from a transmitter that ppl put in their cage to get in the HOV by themselves.

You will start to notice these the more you ride here View attachment 40130

Welcome to Cali brother.

Just some friendly advice about lane splitting, always keep 2 fingers on the clutch and 2 on the break. Not a day goes by where I don't have to dip out of the way of cars. They are not looking for you and most are butt hurt that you are passing them while they sit in traffic. Be safe my friend :thumbup:
+1

ride safe , stay prepared for idiot drivers at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Dem Broncos!!!
5,994 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
While I got you SoCal guys in here... any great rides down your way? All I know of are Mulholand and the Pacific coast highway. I'm gonna take a trip down to La Jolla this summer and hit a lot of areas in between to decide what school I want to transfer to when I get out of CC.

·
Dem Broncos!!!
5,994 Posts
While I got you SoCal guys in here... any great rides down your way? All I know of are Mulholand and the Pacific coast highway. I'm gonna take a trip down to La Jolla this summer and hit a lot of areas in between to decide what school I want to transfer to when I get out of CC.
Cop city brother. Gotta get away from the norm bro. Palomar or idylwilde or montezuma rd

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also, the CHP have guidelines for lane splitting now. Though I've never heard of anyone getting stopped, they will supposedly cite riders who split over a certain mph (45, 65, something like that) or are going more than 15 mph over the flow of traffic. I'm not saying that either of those things are a good idea, just something to be aware of in addition to stupid cagers.

·
Shot Caller
9,267 Posts
Also, the CHP have guidelines for lane splitting now. Though I've never heard of anyone getting stopped, they will supposedly cite riders who split over a certain mph (45, 65, something like that) or are going more than 15 mph over the flow of traffic. I'm not saying that either of those things are a good idea, just something to be aware of in addition to stupid cagers.
This is an old post I know, but I just want to make a clarification here. There is nothing, as of this date, added or changed in the CVC that addresses lane spitting (sharing.) The guidelines have been prepared but they are not regulatory. The basic speed law, CVC 22350, is and has always been the catch-all regulation that addresses unsafe lane sharing. And, it is obviously subjective.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts