Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post your bike YEAR, MILES and if you have ever changed your fork oil before.

I have owned two bikes and never have done this. I never hear about it being done either unless they're track riders.

I'd like to see a census of peoples bike year miles and if they've ever done it, to get an idea how many people take care of this part of their bike

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have done it on several bikes.
I did it on my R1 after hitting 6k

And also did springs and oil on my GSXR as soon as I bought it. I bought a crashed 07 600 for the track and bought the springs and oil and some tools needed for the job. Its pretty easy.
PM me if anything. If your around NY id be happy to help you.
If you decide on doing this, just be clean and neat.

I heard track riders mostly racers do it every 3k miles.
All the oil I have emptied out of forks has come out dark brown and all bikes were 2006+ with less then 3k miles

I plan doing it every season

Watch these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ICr...eature=related

There are also a couple more but I found these to be the best

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i takng mine in to ge the seals changed. i woul do it myself but i dont want to f anything up and risk getting killed. so ill just pay the $150. btw i hear from many people that the k4/5 600/750 forks are garbage.bike has 9k miles and i dont do too many wheelies

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
The least you street riders should be replacing your seals is every two years as well as refreshing the entire suspension system (fork and shock). For the avid racer I would say once, sometimes twice per year. For the track junkie doing 10+ trackdays, every year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The least you street riders should be replacing your seals is every two years as well as refreshing the entire suspension system (fork and shock). For the avid racer I would say once, sometimes twice per year. For the track junkie doing 10+ trackdays, every year.
+1... Yes the seals should be changed every couple of years (or so) and New Oil is part of it. One of the "standard" things I do when I get a bike. You never know when the last owner did so.

Infact reminds me I need to do mine.

Oh and Steering Damper too..

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
just be glad they aren't like dirt bikes, we rebuild our riders every 30 hours
Some guys do go by hours or approx laps, sessions, or sprints (races)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.