Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Was shared in the chat thread and many ppl saw it there so it may not get the response you thought it would BUT....it deserves its on thread so Ill def let it rock.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Now if only Aleix Espargaro can hold it together through the season. This will help Suzuki a lot where they lacked the most, acceleration down the straight.

·
Banned
307 Posts
Good read. Wonder if it will sound like the VTEC in a Honda does??
I don't think it will be as pronounced. My civic si sounds like you slam your ear into the can when it hits 4200rpms. Because of the use of momentum from the crank I'm gonna assume it's gonna be a lot more subtle in sound, no doubt though it'll be hella faster. I'm ready to see a dyno with the new vvt they are using

·
Operation ... squid
9,341 Posts
Ya this def caught my attention! Im just wondering about the maintenance, durability and longevity of those balls :shifty :lol:

·
CCS/ASRA Expert #77
10,723 Posts
saw this on a FB group Roadrace Nation. great innovative idea. Lets see how long it takes the board to change the rules :laugh

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
You do understand that VTEC and a VVT system works differently right?
I do understand they are different but i thought the outcome was the same. If you care to elaborate that would be great as I like to learn.

·
Stays Crispy in Milk
5,716 Posts
I would think that at the highest level of racing anything that is production based should be allowed.
If Kawi wants to bring their supercharged bike in, do it.
The highest level of racing really should be prototype, engineer the crap of it and see if it works. IMHO...

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
You do understand that VTEC and a VVT system works differently right?
I do understand they are different but i thought the outcome was the same. If you care to elaborate that would be great as I like to learn.
They are closer to the same then your making it sound.

Vtec Stands for Valve timing electronic control.

Its still Variable valve timing (VVT), they call it electronic controlled because the Vtec solenoid activates it but its more then that. Oil pressure activates the solenoid. RPM and throttle position play a part in making that happen as well.

Heres a dumbed down version of how vtec works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc800hkqY2M

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The highest level of racing really should be prototype, engineer the crap of it and see if it works. IMHO...
I think the only reason they don't do it is because you need to have some sort of reliability so that the races can at least be finished by the racers and everyone not breaking down all through the race because they're using Proto types. It's still all about putting on a good show for the people that are paying the money to keep this stuff going.

·
Banned
307 Posts
I would think that at the highest level of racing anything that is production based should be allowed.
If Kawi wants to bring their supercharged bike in, do it.
I thought that was the rules in SBK? Same cc different production bikes and as long as they met the weight limit engine output could be anything

·
Banned
307 Posts

Its still Variable valve timing (VVT), they call it electronic controlled because the Vtec solenoid activates it but its more then that. Oil pressure activates the solenoid. RPM and throttle position play a part in making that happen as well.

That's when Vtec works. Lol isn't vvt on like Toyotas and others constant or something?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
946 Posts

Thank you sir. I actually had a civic si in 2000 that was friggen awesome!! After a few mods the car chirped 3rd!! Can't wait to see what this vvt does in a gsxr 1000!!?

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Thats when Vtec works on THAT car, not when it works on the Element in my drive way. Also, esp with the older Vtec (not iVtec but the GOOD vtec like on that 2000 SI) you can drive your car past the RPM where the "switch" would occur by simply doing so at a low throttle percent the whole way there (Or my running your motor with terribly low oil pressure whiiiiiich isnt recommended).

VVT(Variable valve timing) in Toyotas is NOT constant. How can VARIABLE valve timing be constant?

These terms all mean essentially the same thing, its just different manufactures takes on it and different ways to get to a very similar result...

·
Banned
307 Posts
Thats when Vtec works on THAT car, not when it works on the Element in my drive way. Also, esp with the older Vtec (not iVtec but the GOOD vtec like on that 2000 SI) you can drive your car past the RPM where the "switch" would occur by simply doing so at a low throttle percent the whole way there (Or my running your motor with terribly low oil pressure whiiiiiich isnt recommended).

VVT(Variable valve timing) in Toyotas is NOT constant. How can VARIABLE valve timing be constant?

These terms all mean essentially the same thing, its just different manufactures takes on it and different ways to get to a very similar result...
Well good I'm glad we have different Vtec triggers. And upon reading your comment I looked up a few examples of vvt etc and yes they are constant in a lot of cases. Acceleration and Deceleration will change valve timing. Only time it's not changing is at idle.

·
Live Fast Die FUN
14,135 Posts
Im not even sure what you mean...its not CONSTANT if its CHANGING....#Headscratch lol.

VARIABLE valve timing literally means your CHANGING the valve timing so what do you mean by constant? lol.

For example, the VCT (variable cam timing) in my Nisan is also electronic solenoid controlled, sending oil pressure through the channels in the cam and using sprockets to change their relationship instead of rockers like Honda.

If it was constant it would just be normal and not mentioned. lol If what you mean is its set and not constantly adjusting, well then NONE of them do, your either in Vtec or NOT. There is no levels of Vtec. If you took a Vtec motor and put a "Vtec killer" cam in it, you no longer have Vtec no variable valve timing. Youd just have set, or constant/normal valve timing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts