Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Suzuki GSXR 600. It's my daily driver. My chain broke and destroyed the water pump. My only option is replacing it with an electric water pump. But I'm having a very difficult time finding one that works for this application. I bought an auxiliary water pump. It worked for 2 days and died. Then bought a different one from Davies Craig, paid 52$ for it to be overnight shipped to me. Installed it and it won't suck water to the pump! It didn't work either. I need a strong pump. The Davies Craig pumps doesn't suck, it only pushes out water. Stupid idea!. The company rep told me afterwards that they do not self prime. So it won't work for me.
The pump placement is now under the gas tank. Which is level with the radiator. So the new pump would need to suck the water from the radiator and push it out through a 2ft hose back to the radiator.
Anyone have any advice on which pump I can use??? I'm a Nurse and NEED my bike going... Especially during this chaos!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,476 Posts
Welcome. What you already have should work, you just need to prime the pump. Once it is primed and there is no more air in the system, you are golden. The water it pushes out will push water back to it..

Can you disconnect one hose to the pump, raise it up along with the pump and fill both with coolant before you connect them together again?

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
821 Posts
This has been done before but rarely. You need to locate the pump where the OEM pump was. One school of thought is that it is superior to the OEM pump. This might be on a Honda:

Hard to tell but it may just be hanging from the hoses, in which case I'm unimpressed. It needs a mounting bracket. This isn't a quick bolt-on mod. It needs some careful design & engineering.

P.S. A broken chain is normally due to poor maintenance.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Hi Mike,
I'm in healthcare and going to work too. I won't make a comment regarding statistics here though.

It seems you could take a hose off, like the upper one, prime the system and bleed it out etc. like John states.
Bill's advice is always spot on also.

My concern for you however, is that you are riding a bike that potentially is very dangerous.
What are the other systems condition on your bike?
In all my years and all my my bikes, I've never had a chain break om me, EVER.
I have nearly been struck by lightning at least once, which is more likely than a properly maintained chain breaking.
Well, take that back- if the chain was a really cheap aftermarket knock off chinese made chain, I've Heard of it happening.

New chain- Japanese, name brand, and new sprockets are also now a must.

Stay away from that flu like illness!

Good luck, take John's, and/or Bills advice- spot on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The chain was entirely my fault. I replaced the rear brakes and tightened the chain too much when I was in a hurry. Got going down the expressway and hammered down, the chain snapped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Secondly, I like your ideas. Thank you for the help thus far. I'm going to move the water pump back to the OEM location to see if that works. However, on my bike there are four hoses going into the water pump. One for the top of the radiator, one for the bottom of the radiator, one for the oil cooler and the other one comes out of the back of the engine. It's very small. Can I delete the 2 hoses that are not going to the radiator without harming the bike? Or how would I McGuyver the hoses?

·
Registered
821 Posts
My earliest 600 service manual is K6 and it seems to be quite different than K3. From the parts listings I see the hose connections on the pump. In addition to the large inlet and outlet, there's a smaller hose on each. The one on the inlet looks like a bypass and the one on the outlet looks like it supplies the oil cooler. All of those hoses should be used. You ought to be able to fabricate some tees where the run matches the larger diameter and the branch matches the smaller hose. Some soldered copper tubing & fittings will get you by in the short run. But making custom tees from tubing and brazing or welding them together is what you ultimately want. You're going to be chopping up the hoses to provide the correct lengths, probably more than once as you refine things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was able to get it to work. I added the primary new electric water pump to the same location as the OEM water pump. And I just left the secondary water pump in the same location under the gas tanks. Since I already have it plumbed for the other two extra hoses. So basically the primary water pump sucks it from the radiator and pushes it up to the secondary water pump which distributes it throughout the system. It's a mess but it works. I'll post some pictures later..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts