Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Later this spring I'll be taking a 300 mile trip on the bike. (GSXR 600) Usually I use a Nelson Right tail bag and their tank bag. Before I got new tires last summer, I thought the tank bag was keeping me from being able to get low enough to take turns at highway speeds. Turns out it was probably the flat centers on the tires that came on the bike. Anyone that uses tank bags have any input on whether you think they interfere? The bag is medium height, so on straights it is nice to lay on to get down somewhat below the air turbulence. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
I have no experience with tank bags on a sport bike but I don't see why they would interfere with cornering the bike. The bike will corner just fine sitting straight up.

One thought is that being more upright, are you pushing down more on the bars than forward so it seems like the bike is not responding?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be. I never had a problem at say 35mph or less leaning the bike over in turns. It was on two lane highways at 80mph that it seemed like I was going to run wide. I looked through the turns and thought I was pushing hard, but it was scary. The guy at my bike shop that put on the new tires said I was probably at the edge of the flat spot in the center of the tread, and if I had just pushed harder to angle over it, the bike probably would have turned fine.
I know you told me you couldn't believe how hard you had to push and lean in a turn at Road Atlanta? At 140mph. Hopefully it was just the tires and the nice ones I have now will have no problems. I like the tank bag.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My problem with tank bags is that they create turbulence on the highway or at high speed. That turbulence tend to want to lift you up from your Seat. When I'm touring I strap it on the pillion seat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That I have never noticed before. I wonder if it depend on the height of the bag, or whether there is an air gap between the bag and the tank?
My tank bag is magnetic and it has never moved.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,103 Posts
I loved my tank bag. It was about the same size as the one pictured. The top pouch had a plastic window and was great for maps or gps directions on my phone. I couldn't get right down out of the wind but never really wanted to so it made no difference for me. The turbulence wasn't really bad if I was scooted up to the tank a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts