Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to add tank Knee pads to my bike. I read some threads and have seen some products.
LIke the Stomp grip- which is expensive and seems to be a nice black rubber mat that is cut to shape for each bike.
I bought some self adhesive mat from Harbor Freight for like $5 to cut- but it's black and I"d really like a blue set.

Searched high and low for a blue neoprene set. I almost bought a sheet, and would have to cut and glue it.

Then I found this in blue, but it only lists a 600 for fit.

Blue Tank Traction Pad Side Gas Knee Grip Protector For Suzuki GSXR 600/750 | eBay

I may try the black pad until this comes in- takes over 3 weeks to deliver.
Then, I will get the Blue ones I bought to fit, or trim then to make them fit.
I want some blue ones to match my bike.

I'll post back when I get something mounted.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Most knee pads come in black and transparent . The only bad thing about the transparent ones is that's they tend to yellow after a good while .

Here's a shot of stomp grips on my bike. The black and blue stripe kept their color through the rubber.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Stomp grip is purpose specific. Only to add grip for hanging off the bike, they really do nothing for cushion or padding.
They add so much grip to leathers that you can hang way off the bike and take your hands off the handle bars.
That's their entire purpose, takes strain of your arms. When you're leaning you want both arms relaxed.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I have stomp grips on my track bike and they work great. Way overkill for the street and you will feel the aggressive bumps through jeans. TechSpec is better for the street in my opinion. Stomp grip is rough on leathers. My suit is pretty beat-up on the inside of the knees. I just had to order a new set of stomp grips because one side came off last track day, even though I prepped the surface before install. $50 I didn't want to spend.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have stomp grips on my track bike and they work great. Way overkill for the street and you will feel the aggressive bumps through jeans. TechSpec is better for the street in my opinion. Stomp grip is rough on leathers. My suit is pretty beat-up on the inside of the knees. I just had to order a new set of stomp grips because one side came off last track day, even though I prepped the surface before install. $50 I didn't want to spend.

One of my stomp grips came off on my last track day too. The shop where I bought them told me they were old stock when I bought them and that they'd replace them for free if they came off. I'm taking the bike to them next weekend for its annual road worthy check so will see if they are good to their word (I am expecting they will be)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
One of my stomp grips came off on my last track day too. The shop where I bought them told me they were old stock when I bought them and that they'd replace them for free if they came off. I'm taking the bike to them next weekend for its annual road worthy check so will see if they are good to their word (I am expecting they will be)

That is cool of them. Mine were on the bike for about a year. I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
That is cool of them. Mine were on the bike for about a year. I'm not sure how long they are supposed to last.

Mine have been on about the same time. I'll be very happy to get new ones - they already tried re-gluing them when I took it in in December to be checked over prior to my first track day.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Recently, I have installed clear stomp grips to my L6 750. At $80.00 here in Aus, they are expensive but had the best feedback online.

The first set did not adhere properly to the tank so I had them replaced free of charge, The new set received last week have been installed and so far look like they are staying put.

They certainly feel better then the sensation of sliding around on the tank and feel comfortable with wearing jeans.

From what I hear, stop grip do stand behind their product and replace them with in 2 years if they start to peel.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Most knee pads come in black and transparent . The only bad thing about the transparent ones is that's they tend to yellow after a good while .

Here's a shot of stomp grips on my bike. The black and blue stripe kept their color through the rubber.
I'm aware of the various ones, thanks.

Nice, could you please post or PM me a few pics of your whole bike? Looks great!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stomp grip is purpose specific. Only to add grip for hanging off the bike, they really do nothing for cushion or padding.
They add so much grip to leathers that you can hang way off the bike and take your hands off the handle bars.
That's their entire purpose, takes strain of your arms. When you're leaning you want both arms relaxed.
I realize this.
I'm sorry my post caused you to think otherwise- I'm not looking for 'cushion or padding', I'm looking for GRIP! Somebody told me to get a grip! :devil
While riding with my leathers on some twisties today, I cold see where it would add an advantage over the slippery sides of the tank.

I'm going to try the version I got from Harbor Freight- I learned of it from a thread from years ago, that was discussing more affordable alternatives to the stomp grip.
Even track riders who had tried it praised it.

The blue one I ordered: I hope will turn out to be soft enough that a/my knee will 'dig' into it slightly, and give it 'traction' That's my story and I'm sticking to it:wink

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Update: the shop has ordered new stomp grips for me. No charge! That's what I call service :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My $5 DIY Stompgrips; Kinda RedNeck

I cut and place these w/in ~3 minutes before todays ride.

They are amazing, and the grip on these is amazing too!
I went for a nice ride today on many twisties- like a night and day difference.

My blue ones are still on the slow boat from China

1 - 15 of 15 Posts