Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Can I pick your brains.
When this vaccine comes through,, I really like the idea of tackling the TransAmericanTrail.

Also rather than shipping a bike from the UK., like to buy a bike, thinking Honda CRF 250 Rally. (Sorry to swear). Ride it round, maybe Baja, and then sell it in the States again.

So question is.....
Anyone done the TAT?
How does it work legally..... Ownership and insurance and road tax and road worthiness stuff?

Thanks chaps.

·
SuperMod of the North
26,685 Posts
Good question. You may be better off renting a bike. Would be way easier than jumping through a bunch of red tape to buy, own and sell a bike for the trip. Renting from a larger outfit may allow you to pick it up on one coast and drop it off on the other. Don’t even know if that exists though.

Alternatively. A little home work may prove shipping your bike is cheaper than renting.

Either way, if you do jump the pond let us know and I am sure anyone near your route would be happy to meet up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rental wouldn't work., it's mostly dirt/Off road riding..... Rental companies don't like that. Lol..
So what do you need to buy and register and insure a bike on the States? Is it just a residential address...?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Well, if you wanted to do it counterclockwise, you could stay with me and my Family in SW Milwaukee, and use my address if that's all you needed.
I looked and it seems the North eastern part of it starts in Western WI.
Registering motorcylces is EZ in WI. There is no yearly safety inspection like there was in TX.

LMK and Good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh good old Yankee (is that PC?) hospitality. Thanks so much for the offer. Early days of planning, need to think about weather conditions and such like. Is there a reasonable secondhand bike market in the area?
Just Googling where the devil Milwaukee is!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Ahhhh good old Yankee (is that PC?) hospitality. Thanks so much for the offer. Early days of planning, need to think about weather conditions and such like. Is there a reasonable secondhand bike market in the area?
Just Googling where the devil Milwaukee is!
It's in Wisconsin, USA. I'm a southerner though, Texas drawl and all. I live in the SW Milwaukee area.
It's a big city, and an hour or so north of Chicago- Huge area. Lots of bikes on CraigsList, Local shops, etc.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I looked at this one website when I googled TAT, I watched the Jeno Leno video on it too. The map on the site shows part in Western WI?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that. Good to know.
Nice looking bike but had Super-moto in the past (KTM690). Imo, they are the worst of both worlds. Compromised on the street and awful in the dirt, wheels, tyres and suspension would all need changing. The little Honda 250 rally looks great, easy fun...... Although yet to ride one, and there is talk of a 300 coming out, which would be ideal by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Some friends of mine did a portion of the TAT. From their stories, it sounds brutal but completely worth it.

Which direction do you want to go? West to east or east to west? I'm happy to help look for bikes if I can. You've already checked out ADVrider right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts