Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 02' 750 and was wanting to ask for some info ?? I was reading my new book I bought and it said that the operating temp. for the fan sensor is starting at 221 degrees and shut off is 212 ??? Is this correct??? Because it seems to be a little hot to me...but it seems like my fan never comes on. Anyone know the specifics...the book is kind of confusing...but want to make sure before I get into summer hot time and it is not working right. Also..anyone know the difference between motorcycle full synthetic 20w50 and car full synthetic 20w50...will it hurt to use the car oil...castrol 20w50 full synthetic??? I want to use a full synthetic...but the other is half the price of motorcycle oils??? Anyone help me ???

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
not sure about the oil part but as for the fan its fine......i have an '04 and the fan never comes on and its gotten up to as high as 218 at a light in the summer

·
Registered
543 Posts
your fan should kick on at 220 in traffic, i put mine on a switch, it's real e-z to do and that way you can have it on when u wan't....as for the oil, i would strongly recommend going to your local cycle shop and buying some full syn for motocycles...thats why they make it ya know, some people are gonna say car oil is fine but when the clutch goes they find out why, spend the extra $$$ it's worth it.....good luck bro...KRUM :thumbup:

·
Banned
105 Posts
That are the correct temps for the fan sensor. As for oil, I run Kendall 20W50 motorcycle oil. It not synthetic, but it is sure slick stuff and works great in bikes.

I live in the desert, so I have to trust the oil I get and I have not had any luck with full synthetic. But then that could have just been me.

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
I am in Austin Tx so I know exactly what you mean,but If your temp is in the 220 or so you will be fine. Most all zooks are in that range now if your into the 228 or so you may need to see if you have a slow leak somewhere or flush ya radiator or run 50/50 antifreeze.

With the engine oil I would just run what the Manuf states or run Motul.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
rkrummel01 said:
your fan should kick on at 220 in traffic, i put mine on a switch, it's real e-z to do and that way you can have it on when u wan't....as for the oil, i would strongly recommend going to your local cycle shop and buying some full syn for motocycles...thats why they make it ya know, some people are gonna say car oil is fine but when the clutch goes they find out why, spend the extra $$$ it's worth it.....good luck bro...KRUM :thumbup:

I did the same thing with my F4I. The switch was as easy as 1-2-3.

·
Registered
367 Posts
yes 220 is the corect temp at witch the fan kicks on i had the same thing happen to me i called a tech line and they said that was fine , you know its like a 4 cil car motor it runs in the 200s as well , the oil you should always go with the manuf. recamendations or it may void warranty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whatever you do Never Never use car oil in a motorcycle. There's things that go on in a bike engine that car oil is not designed for. i.e. 13,000-15,000 redline and the clutch running in the motoroil. When it comes to your bike always go with the good stuff and when in doubt follow the manufacturers recommendations.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
crchrkt99 said:
Whatever you do Never Never use car oil in a motorcycle. There's things that go on in a bike engine that car oil is not designed for. i.e. 13,000-15,000 redline and the clutch running in the motoroil. When it comes to your bike always go with the good stuff and when in doubt follow the manufacturers recommendations.
Add to this that the GEarbox runs in the same oil that lubes the top end which hastens viscosity breakdown, and The friction modifiers in cars are different. There are modifiers that will harm a cars cat, but are VERY benneficial to a bike.

Bottom line is you have a bike for a hobby, why do you want to half ass take care of it. Stop being cheap and buy the good shit. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wasn't trying to be cheap...just trying to educate myself. I ask the same question in several bike shops here locally and no one could answer my question on what was the difference between auto and bike oil. Now if there were no real difference, which I am sure there may be....wouldn't you feel stupid for buying oil at half the price. It would not be cheap...just smart. I have used Castrol synth. blend for now...for bikes might I add...but was just asking for education. Thanks for the input though...

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
The reason they say not to use car oil in bikes is mainly because of the clutch. In a car you have seperate Engine and Transmission oil, in a bike they are the same. Well some car engine oil has Friction Modifiers to reduce wear, and when you put that in a bike it also reduces the friction that your Clutch plates have so they start slipping, which is a bad thing. Not all car oils have those additives, but I would stick with motorcycle specific oil because they are made for motorcycles which are high performace machines.

·
Registered
317 Posts
On the sv board I used to go on alot, the oil of choice was Shell Rotella T 15w-40. This oil is often used in diesel engines. It is designed to operate at the higher temperatures and pressures of a diesel. It is supposed to be "good" for your clutch apparently. I read something on the shell website before I put it in my sv and they said basically the same thing. Plus its cheap, like $1.50 a quart. I have been skeptical about putting it in the gsxr, i'll probably just use yamalube, even the guys at the suzuki shop say to use yamalube. Check out the svrider.com boards for more info on the rotella t.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.