Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've got a 2005 gsxr 600 and basically the bike keeps shutting down while I'm riding. I guess it kinda just dies. My rpms drop and the temp gauge reads chec. It doesn't read hot but the temp went from about 207 to 188 in a matter of seconds. I took it to a buddy of mine and he's worked on bikes/cars his whole life. He said it has to be the water temp sensor. He may be right because I don't know to much about bikes. It can't be overheating because the bike doesn't even get hot enough for the fan switch to turn the fan on. Here's my buddys conclusion--the bike thinks its running hotter than it actually is, its a race bike and shouldn't overheat no matter how much you get on her. The fan doesn't come on because the bike isn't actually getting that hot, the sensor is just reading hot therefore the bike shuts down. Opinions?

·
The Honey Badger
11,974 Posts
Umm, yeah...I doubt that's it.

Is the FI light on? If so, do the Dealer Mode thing and see what the code is.

If it's not on, then I'd start looking into the charging system. Download a free PDF service manual at www.servicemanualsgsxr.com and test the charging system. Battery, regulator/rectifier, and stator.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The FI light isn't on. We put it in dealer mode and it read c00 so nothin there. I haven't checked anything else though.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
The temp gauge always reads "chec" when the engine is off. That's normal.

My vague useless guess would be a switch going out, like the sidestand switch or the tipover sensor.

Does the bike restart immediately after shutting itself off?

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Sounds a lot like the problem Ive been battling for the last 2 summers.

Usually only after spirited rides? Warmer days?

Im pulling her apart tomorrow and checking fuel filer in the tank and such, the sputters kinda sound like its dying for fuel (thanks Craig for the suggestion)

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts

My vague useless guess would be a switch going out, like the sidestand switch or the tipover sensor.

HOLY CRAP.

When it happens to my bike and it sounds like his bike too, the GOD DAMN thing always reads check even with the switch on...and the damn fuel pump doesnt prime...it also wont let me check codes with the dealer mode switch. Today when it happened once the fuel pump would start to prime stop, stutter, start etc. I bet its the damn switch.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same problem. My fuel pump sputters as well. Usually she'll start back up but will only run for a little while longer then do it again. I'm at a complete loss. Oh and it usually does happen after I get on her too.

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Same problem. My fuel pump sputters as well. Usually she'll start back up but will only run for a little while longer then do it again. I'm at a complete loss. Oh and it usually does happen after I get on her too.
Yeah if you look through my old posts some where you should find it, I posted about it this summer too and there was some suggestions but nothing has worked for me.

Im was always leaning towards something electrical but never found it. Only thing that made me think heat related was after a few mins to "cool off" it worked again. So then I started thinking something electrical was over heating (r/r) or something. After reading what chango said it makes complete sense for it to be one of those.

·
Registered
430 Posts

It shouldn't and my bike never has "chec" because

A. I always have the bike in neutral

B. I never use the kill switch

I have read threads that suggested that if there is no communication/signal from the ECU for xx seconds, the CHEC will pop up. My guesses as to bike cutting out is:

1. kickstand switch or kickstand spring weakening causing the switch to cut off the bike, especially on rough/bumpy surfaces.

2. Loss of signal/communication from the ECU

3. Loose battery cables and/or ground cable.

4. Kill switch going bad

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Here's my buddys conclusion--the bike thinks its running hotter than it actually is, its a race bike and shouldn't overheat no matter how much you get on her. The fan doesn't come on because the bike isn't actually getting that hot, the sensor is just reading hot therefore the bike shuts down. Opinions?
#1 download a manual using the search bar.

#2 dont let your "buddy" touch your bike.

#3 listen to all advice given and trouble shoot out of the manual..

#4 if the bike thought it was running hot it would've sent a message to the fan to turn on.....:hmmm: have you checked to see if the fan works/ kicks on at high temp????

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts

I have read threads that suggested that if there is no communication/signal from the ECU for xx seconds, the CHEC will pop up. My guesses as to bike cutting out is:

1. kickstand switch or kickstand spring weakening causing the switch to cut off the bike, especially on rough/bumpy surfaces.

4. Kill switch going bad
:thumbup: what she said....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
Huh. I may be thinking of the R6 then. Or I might just be completely making stuff up and off my rocker. Again.

I'll actually have to pay attention when I start it up tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I just checked. Mine does say chec when I turn the key on, but that's because I always use the kill switch. When I flip the kill switch on it goes to the temp readout, and I was thinking it didn't come on until the engine was actually started, so I was wrong about that. When I switched it off again, it went back to chec within a couple of seconds. Since I always use the kill switch I just never noticed the gauge reading. Sorry.

Just for fun, I also shifted into 1st with the side stand down, and it did exactly the same thing as flipping the kill switch: temp gauge went to chec in a couple of seconds (and if it had been running it would have died instantly), so if it were the side stand switch it would say chec. When I shifted back to neutral the fuel pump primed again and the temp readout came back. Taking a closer look at that switch may be worthwhile.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ill download the manual today and try everything you guys suggested. If anything ill sell it and buy an r6....just kidding ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It can't be the kickstand switch because even once it dies and I put it into nuetral it still reads chec. It might be loose killswitch wires. Idk its driving me crazy D:

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
It can't be the kickstand switch because even once it dies and I put it into nuetral it still reads chec. It might be loose killswitch wires. Idk its driving me crazy D:

Good point there.

I gave up last night after determining I didn't think it was my kickstand switch because I found I have a stripped gas tank bolt and it made me to mad to keeep working on it after 10pm. I'll be drilling that out later.

Im leaning towards either fuel(filter, pump, relay) of an ecu. Praying its not the ecu. I hate down time and I can't find one locally.

Sent from my Cellular device....probably while driving so watch out :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking kickstand sensor because it seems to happen more the warmer it is out. I was thinking the sensor was getting too hot after longer rides causing it to temporarily flip or something. The bike acts like someone is flipping the kill switch on and off or the kickstand is going up and down, but is not affected by bumpy roads. Is there any way to test either of those two items?

·
rotaredom
888,895,580 Posts

4. Kill switch going bad
great post :clap:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Replaced the temp sensor and the bike runs great. While I was at it I wired around the kickstand switch. All is good ;D glad I let my "buddy" touch my bike <3

·
Premium Member
14,135 Posts
Id bet either your problem will come back or you and I have different problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts