Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

The De-Restriction Process for a 2008 GSXR 600

12K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Marveng 
#1 · (Edited)
The De-Restriction Process for a 2008 GSXR 600??

Hi, Can anyone tell me what i have to do, to get my 2008 GSXR 600 k8 de-restricted?

I have a full power ECU off the exact same bike so as far as i know all i need to know is how to program the full power ECU to the keys to my bike??

Can anyone please help???????? :headscrat

#2 ·
This question comes up every once in a while. I'm assuming that you are in GB or Europe, and have an EU spec bike.

I do not know the method Suzuki uses to de-tune these bikes. IF it's ECU tuning (and I don't know for a fact if it is, I've asked the question myself and nobody seems to know the answer), you should be able to get a cheap US spec ECU on Ebay, or I suppose you could order a new one through a US Suzuki dealer.

If it is an ECU issue, it's probably burned in the firmware. The fuel curves can be reprogrammed in these ECU's, but I don't think the firmware can. At least I have never heard of a way to do it.

Dammit - you edited too quick. You should just be able to plug the ECU in to your bike. The key shouldn't have anything to do with it.

#4 ·
Hi, Yes i am in Ireland!

Its a long story but i had a full power GSXR 600 K8 and now i have a factory restricted GSXR 600 k8 and i have the ECU off the old bike so what i now want to do is put the full power ECU into my bike and program it to work with my keys because it comes up as fault when i just put the ECU in!

Thanks for the help

#5 ·
Not exactly sure how this works but I would think that there is/are some sensors that aren't on the old bike that are on the new one that the ECU is getting a negative reading from. For example, If you pulled all the wiring off the old bike and I mean alllllll of it and installed it on the new bike being that it's the same motor then the bike would run because it ran on the old bike with the old wiring. Hence you should be able to trace which sensors you have extra and even the sensors you have now changed out with the old sensors, hell I would even change out the relays. Worse comes to worse just change out all the wiring and sensors because they're both 08's so the old one can't be in that bad of shape.

#6 ·
Not exactly sure how this works but I would think that there is/are some sensors that aren't on the old bike that are on the new one that the ECU is getting a negative reading from. For example, If you pulled all the wiring off the old bike and I mean alllllll of it and installed it on the new bike being that it's the same motor then the bike would run because it ran on the old bike with the old wiring. Hence you should be able to trace which sensors you have extra and even the sensors you have now changed out with the old sensors, hell I would even change out the relays. Worse comes to worse just change out all the wiring and sensors because they're both 08's so the old one can't be in that bad of shape.
I agree - it's not a key issue, something isn't hooked up quite right or a sensor is bad. Also, oxygen sensors were installed on some K8's and not others. Make sure you have a compatible ECU.

#7 ·
I dont actually have the old bike!

I bought the full power bike and the insurance company would not insure me so i had to trade that bike in for the exact same bike but this one was factory restricted so i could get insured but i kept the ECU off the full power bike so i could get insured and still have a full power bike!

I reckon i made that sound very complicated but its the best explanation i can do!

Thanks for your help!

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure that the ECU doesn't receive key codes from the ignition module. I think that you're going to have to do some creative wiring. Or maybe swap out ignition modules if that is in fact the issue.

But I'm wondering if there isn't some other mechanical feature to your bike that might make it incompatible. Do you know for a fact that it's geared the same, and the motor is mechanically the same as a full-power GSXR?

What form of power limitation is present, a rev limiter?

#14 ·
Mode selector switch

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have had a similar problem. You have probably realized that the bike won't start if you simply plug your new ECU into the bike and use the old set of keys.

What you are doing, is the equivalent of trying to start a stranger's bike, with your own set of keys.

Simply every ECU is matched to set of keys.

The good news is that you can program a new ECU to your set of keys.

You can't programme an used ECU to your set of keys. The implication is that, if you buy a used ECU, be sure to get the matched set of keys with it. (I could be wrong on this last point.)

So, how do you programme an ECU.

I don't know the specifics but I'm sure you need a mode selector switch (09930-82720) which switches the ECU to dealer mode.

I have a photo of said switch, but i've got to figure out how to reduce the file size so I can upload it.

Its simply a toggle switch wired to a plastic connector which plugs into a slot accessible by removing the front seat.

I hope this helps in some small way.

Best regards,
Rajiv

#15 ·
Hi guys! I have almost the exact same problem now; I've lost both my keys, and then I ordered new keys from the Dealer, and these were blanks. Then I gave the bikes Key-code to a locksmith, which made the keys mechanically working on my bike. The problem is that the ECU prohibits me from starting, with a FI - error. Has anyone encountered a way to re-program my old ECU, or do I have to buy a new one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.