Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright for all you mechanics/troubleshooters out there, I have an issue that I need insight on! 03 Gsxr 1000 This is my track bike. I have never had any starting problems with my bike. I wired my bike a long time ago so I didn't need a key. I also did away with the kick stand switch and clutch switch, so basically I can start my bike and go.

A couple weeks back I was coming back from a track day and when I got home, my boy told me my bike had been idling. Seems as though the bike must have shifted in a way that the canon dancer switched on the bike and pressed the start button LOL funny right!
Weird if you ask me but it happened. My boy cut the bike off and gave me the heads up.

Fast forward – I finally got a chance to look at the bike and here is what is happening. The bike will not start. Symptoms – When I turn the bike on, the fuel pump kicks on and goes off normally. When I hit the engine start button, it activates the fuel pump. So literally, every time I hit the start button, the fuel pump will kick on and when I let off the pump stops. The starter does not engage what's so ever. Any ideas?

Things I have tried – I already replaced the ignition and engine run/kill switch to rule out electrical problems for those two things. I was testing the starter relay for 12v and on all four wires got nothing which was odd, but when I plugged it up the fuel pump kicked on and went off normally. I also got that "click" sound from the relay. At this point I think the problem is relay or starter related.

Does any one know, if the engine is started and you press the engine start button while the engine is started, will starter stay in engaged or does the button go into a block state when the engine is started for safety reasons?

Thanks for all your help on this matter, I gotta get back on the track asap, I got the itch…. 

-Paul

·
Registered
381 Posts
If the engine is running and you hit the start button it will just spin the starter, making a grinding noise. You should be getting 12V across some of the terminals on the relay, I am not sure if 2003 relay is the same as mine, but mine you need to apply 12V to terminals 3 & 4 which are the bottom 2 out of 4, and then you should have continuity on your main positive and negative terminals. I fucking hate electrical problems, but good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Russ, yeah I believe you are correct with the testing of the relay, my book covers the same thing, I will try that when I get home, along with testing for voltage on the starter relay side.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So you do have the manual??? Follow the steps in there.....cuz I almost blew my relay when I was testing it, DO NOT APPLY THE VOLTAGE FOR TOO LONG OR YOU'RE GONNA FRY IT. :thumbup:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you do have the manual??? Follow the steps in there.....cuz I almost blew my relay when I was testing it, DO NOT APPLY THE VOLTAGE FOR TOO LONG OR YOU'RE GONNA FRY IT. :thumbup:
Ahhhhh thanks for the heads up man, greatly appreciated. Yeah I have the manual so it gives me a reference point for sure, but there is nothing like checking out the forums and lucking up on someone who may have had the same/similar problem(s) ya know.

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
There is also the possibility that whatever bumped your starter button, held it down long enough to fry your starter motor.

Also, FYI the whizzing noise you hear on startup that shuts off is the secondary butterfly valves opening and closing. Start the bike with the tank raised and the air box off sometime and watch what happens.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mister tee, I believe I probably fried the starter motor as well, I am going to test it. BTW I hope this does not come off as smart or know it all, but i work on a lot of bikes and i know the sound of the secondary butter flies. The wizzing noise is just what I stated the fuel pump. Think of start button being directly connected to the fuel pump and giving it +12 every time I hit it. That's whats happening.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fellas and possible ladies, thanks for all the information and great insight. Since the starter would not turn over at all, I connected the two wires from the starter relay. The one red wire coming from the battery and the black wire going to the starter. I got a nice spark but the bike turned over which ruled out the starter and told me it was the starter relay. I replaced the relay and the bike started like a charm. Hopefully this post will help someone else out that may have this issue. Again thanks for all the helpful information and looks like I will be making the June 1st track day at VIR :)

-Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.