Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I wrong but isn't the "X" in GSXR evidenced by the almost yearly dramatic changes the GSXR has? I mean the changes from my previous 1999 GSXR 600 to my new to me 2007 GSXR750 are huge unlike my two SV650"s which are just about identical despite being 12yrs apart.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,775 Posts
Well, You aren't wrong about the pace of thier product development. The X is actually for eXperimental. GSXR stands for Grand Sport eXperimental Racing.

In the mid 80's when the first modern sport bikes were developed the market had just experienced a huge success with the with large powerful engines in standard motorcycle frames like the GS1100, Kawasaki GPz1100, and the six cylinder Honda CBX. It was a new type of motorcycle and the focus on performance drove the manufacturers into a very competitive mind set. When speeds approached 300 kph in 1999 the speed was capped and now performance involves weight reduction and handling characteristics. Electronics seems to be the new frontier now.

·
Super Moderator
8,888 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, You aren't wrong about the pace of thier product development. The X is actually for eXperimental. GSXR stands for Grand Sport eXperimental Racing.

In the mid 80's when the first modern sport bikes were developed the market had just experienced a huge success with the with large powerful engines in standard motorcycle frames like the GS1100, Kawasaki GPz1100, and the six cylinder Honda CBX. It was a new type of motorcycle and the focus on performance drove the manufacturers into a very competitive mind set. When speeds approached 300 kph in 1999 the speed was capped and now performance involves weight reduction and handling characteristics. Electronics seems to be the new frontier now.
+1

·
SuperMod of the North
25,775 Posts
True. The slipper clutch was an improvement 10 years ago and now ride-a-bility improvements like traction and launch control added further gains. Honestly, there has to be a point of diminishing returns where the displacement of the engine has been almost maximized and any further gains are very small. The old 1100's put out a but ton of power but at times it was like wrestling a water buffalo through a corner compared to the improved geometry and weight reductions of the last 10 years. Lots of low hanging fruit back then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I suspect despite a seemingly big reduction in the advancement of the X portion of the GSXR its actually fairly quick as the advancements are now not in horsepower and raw speed but in weight reduction and braking & cornering which equate to more & more efficient maximization in the use of the huge power increases. A 2007+ GSXR is not so much faster or more powerful but quicker with far better braking and cornering than ever imagined in 1997+/-.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts