Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the thermostat in my bike to a 170 deg. I was getting very wide temps while riding at a steady speed all the way from about 174deg to 194 and then back down to around 174-175 the the cycle would repeat. If you let it idle the temp would go to 203 then the fans would come on the temp would cool down to 190 and then repeat the cycle. After the stat change the temp will do the same thing at idle, but at cruse with ambient temp around 66-67 on the fwy at about 70 mph the temp is around 160-165 constantly. There wasn’t anything wrong with it before I just didn’t like the wide fluctuations in the temp. Now I have a more consistent temp and its cooler too.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,253 Posts
What coolant are you running Jet? Are you using any additives or does that not really make a difference? Is this the RR?

·
Administrator
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What coolant are you running Jet? Are you using any additives or does that not really make a difference? Is this the RR?
Engine Ice I use it in all of my bikes, the stat was changed in Black Betty I haven’t been able to find one for the RR yet. But it doesn’t have the wide temp fluctuations that Betty had.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Good morning Jet,
On my V8 Dodge truck Net forum I used to be on years ago, one of the crazes was to switch to a 180Fdegree T-stat for it. It helps it run slightly cooler- which the theory is in turn it can keep a better A/F ratio and produce more power too. Maybe good for 1HP? I have been running a 180 in it nearly since new. IIRC OEM is 195F.
I realize you did it to try an mitigate temp. variations though.
What temp is the stock one? I wasn't aware we cold get different temp Tstats for our bikes.
Lots I don't know though.

·
Administrator
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good morning Jet,
On my V8 Dodge truck Net forum I used to be on years ago, one of the crazes was to switch to a 180Fdegree T-stat for it. It helps it run slightly cooler- which the theory is in turn it can keep a better A/F ratio and produce more power too. Maybe good for 1HP? I have been running a 180 in it nearly since new. IIRC OEM is 195F.
I realize you did it to try an mitigate temp. variations though.
What temp is the stock one? I wasn't aware we cold get different temp Tstats for our bikes.
Lots I don't know though.
All newer cars started around I think 72-73 come with 195deg thermostat they have it for two reasons smog and the computer needs to see I forget what temp to go to closed loop in the computer. I don’t think our bikes are the same but they do have a 195 stat for smog too. I searched quite a while before I found this one in Germany 🇩🇪 the other option I had considered was taking the guts out of one and just running it as a restriction. I have looked for one for the BMW but so far haven’t found one, but it runs a pretty consistent temp. At around 190-195

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
All newer cars started around I think 72-73 come with 195deg thermostat they have it for two reasons smog and the computer needs to see I forget what temp to go to closed loop in the computer. I don’t think our bikes are the same but they do have a 195 stat for smog too. I searched quite a while before I found this one in Germany 🇩🇪 the other option I had considered was taking the guts out of one and just running it as a restriction. I have looked for one for the BMW but so far haven’t found one, but it runs a pretty consistent temp. At around 190-195
My Gix Liter often runs at 160F, unless getting really spriited, or stopped in traffic.

When I had it dynoed, the operator even said he needed to get it at least to170 for the 'closed loop' thing. But then I wonder why it usually is under 170 when it's cruising, etc. Seems to run well either way- I can't tell a difference when it's at 160 of 190. It stays pretty contant though.

I have not touched my coolant system since I owned this one.
I may actually change it out when it warms up some this year. It works so good now though, I'm reluctant to mess with it LOL. I have tested the collant with those floating ball things- reads good.
My garage get down to 18F inside lately.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I find it interesting that the temp setpoint that coolant begins to flow to the radiator would have an impact on the normal/warmed-up operating temp of the engine. There are multiple variables of course but I just wonder if your old thermostat may have had a weak spring and was varying the amount of coolant flow through the engine & radiator.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Administrator
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I find it interesting that the temp setpoint that coolant begins to flow to the radiator would have an impact on the normal/warmed-up operating temp of the engine. There are multiple variables of course but I just wonder if your old thermostat may have had a weak spring and was varying the amount of coolant flow through the engine & radiator.
Could have but it is such a pain to get to and change I didn‘t want to chance it. I thought about just taking the guts out and just using it as a restriction. And then I found this one and figured this was a better option. The bike still takes about 10-15 minutes if you start it and just let it idle before the fans come on at 205deg everything is the same except when running a speed then the temps are stable and cooler. As far as operating temps 160-170 is still hot enough to scald you and could possibly even lower the oil temp a few deg. In my book its a win win

1 - 8 of 8 Posts