Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought the bike a month ago and i rode it once (because its still cold here in michigan) and never noticed it but i was messing with it the other day and noticed that sitting on the stand running if you rev it up and let go the throttle sticks. Never noticed it while riding it but it doesnt sound safe so how do i fix it?? please and thanks

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
yeah what they said. to check your adjustments, turn the wheel to the right all the way and then roll the throttle and let go.. if the throttle sticks your cables are too tite. just loosen the adjusters so the throttle snaps back to place.

if it isnt snapping back at all then you're gonna have to open it up to find the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok not to sound dumb but where are the adjusters at. Im not looking at the bike at the moment so i just want to know so i can adjust them when i get a chance. thanks

·
The Honey Badger
11,974 Posts
By the inside of the grip..adjust the lock nuts. After adjusting turn full lock both way and make sure your RPM's don't increase.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cables might have to be lubed.
If they are sticking, I would not depend on just lubing it. When the lube goes away in a couple of weeks, you will be left with the same problem. I would carefully do the proper adjustments, putting in the recommended amount of slack. Make sure it snaps back all the way, and with authority, before you call it finished.

If after you do the adjustments as per the manual, and it still sticks, then look at the cables and see if they need replacing.

·
Super Moderator
4,852 Posts
i just bought the bike a month ago and i rode it once (because its still cold here in michigan) and never noticed it but i was messing with it the other day and noticed that sitting on the stand running if you rev it up and let go the throttle sticks. Never noticed it while riding it but it doesnt sound safe so how do i fix it?? please and thanks
http://www.wotid.com/gsxr/manual/GSXR1000-05.pdf

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok messed with the bike some today and adjusted the throttle cable per what the manuel says. lubed the cables and if the two screws or that hold the throttle assembly on the bars are just a little loose the throttle snaps back great. as soon as i tighten them down it starts to stick again. loosen one of the screws up a turn or so and it snaps back but then the hole kill swich and starter butten slide back and forth on the bars any ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok messed with the bike some today and adjusted the throttle cable per what the manuel says. lubed the cables and if the two screws or that hold the throttle assembly on the bars are just a little loose the throttle snaps back great. as soon as i tighten them down it starts to stick again. loosen one of the screws up a turn or so and it snaps back but then the hole kill swich and starter butten slide back and forth on the bars any ideas
I am having the same problem,, throttle sticking wide open, no snap back at all,, adjustments done, no change at all, someone help?

·
Registered
159 Posts
It sounds like your cable is binding in the throttle housing at the throttle tube. Make sure the cables complete a full circle around the tube once they exit the guides, then insert it into the housing and make sure its not binding. did you run your black adjusters all the way into the grip (loosest setting) before the adjustment?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like your cable is binding in the throttle housing at the throttle tube. Make sure the cables complete a full circle around the tube once they exit the guides, then insert it into the housing and make sure its not binding. did you run your black adjusters all the way into the grip (loosest setting) before the adjustment?
Yes mate,, I adjusted them and no change,,so you reckon strip the housing back, take unhook the cables,,and go again,,, could the problem be at the throttle body otherwise,, just got the bike so it's all new for me but I appreciate the info??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Any chance that you have the R6 throttle mod? It requires some grinding of the housing for clearance that could have been done incompletely. In any event, open up the throttle housing and look for frayed cables or other issues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When you adjusted the throttle cables at the throttle did you wind them all the way out (loose position), if the throttle became very loose at that point then no you don't mess with the TB adjustments (only during a major adjustment). Your problem still sounds like its with the cables at the throttle or the housing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts