Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I previously posted a long time ago about repairing the threads for the engine mount bolts within the engine casing. With new bolts and some Loctite, I was able to get the bolts threaded and tightened with the little threading left. After a low side in the rain at MidOhio earlier this year, the threading was completely shot, and I used safety wire to keep the bolt and frame slider in place. I knew it needed to be fixed but waited until the winter. So I currently have the engine partially dropped from my 2007 GSXR 600 and hanging from ratchet straps off the frame. I am going to fix the theading using a helicoil kit.

So here is the question:

Does anyone have a photo or can tell me of what they placed there engine on after pulling it from the bike. I don't see how I would set it on the ground. I thought about making a cribbing box with 4x4's and setting it on / in that. Any ideas. I need the engine to remain steady when I drill and tap the new threads.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,159 Posts
I have found a 5 gallon bucket cut in half to be very useful over the years.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
24,533 Posts
A used tire works great as well. I used a piece of very dense foam when I pulled my 1100 engine out during the tear down. I simply drained the oil and laid it on it's side...a short piece of 2x4 to shim it up and you are good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Most rig up something from 2x4's and 1x2's. A piece of carpet was used here (don't know how he got it up there and it may not be steady enough for your purposes). Something more permanent is shown here but Photoshop is blurring it so you can only get a rough idea. Finally it occurs to me that Unistrut/B-Line etc. could be used to make a nice stand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I was going to use a plastic crate or 4x4's. However, I was able to complete the task without completely pulling the motor and placing in on a bench. The helicoil appeared to work well for tapping where the front engine mount bolts secure. Here's to hoping the rest of this winter maintenance and final track modifications goes smoothly.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top