Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I changed my pipe to the stock one for road worthy and I could hear my bike more without the sound of the exhaust and I could hear the timing chain abit more and I was wondering if there’s a way to know if ur one is working fine .. I’m riding a k1 1000 and iv owned the 750 srad and they r pritty much the same bike and I remember that the timing tensioner was a issue on the srad as they would just stop working .. did they fix this issue or is it worth just replacing for ease of mind ..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Those year GSXRs are notoriously noisy engines. It is unlikely you have a problem with your tensioner because their pressure is controlled by oil which then forces the tensioner head against the chain and locks it in place. The only way to have one fail is if the teeth are too far gone and the head slides backwards but that's assuming your oil pressure failed also (I have never seen it happen). If the bike is running properly then there is probably nothing wrong but you can always replace the tensioner. They are relatively inexpensive and there are usually several on ebay, just make sure the teeth on them are good. If you can post a video of the noise that would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Or go with a manual one like I did on my K5? Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Il take a vid tomorrow.. but I’m not to concerned on how it sounds at the moment as I do know it’s quite rough sounding engine.. was just wondering if it’s the same as the 98/99 srad or did they fix the issue of them being faulty .. and I know a few guys would just put a screw in it and adjust it manually.. and I just remembered now how I checked it the last time on the srad .. u take it out wind it up and if it shoots out it’s fine 🤔..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Again, you cannot adjust it manually even with putting a screw in it. Its hydraulic with a manual locking mechanism (these are almost never prone to failure and are preferred because they can only go one direction as the chain gets worn). The 98/98 GSX-R (all GSX-R's have Ram Air Direct) cam chain tensioner came from the factory with a manual tensioner (already had a screw).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts