Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Solid guy, will be nice once I am on the road and we can go for a ride together - one black/red & one blue/white both '89 1100's.

I was fabbing up some pans and mounts for the rear signal lights and under tail when he dropped in. He told me just to tape together what ever I needed and leave it on his back porch if he wasn't home and he would mig them up for me and drop them off. I immediately told him there was cold beer in the fridge behind him. He also set me up with a contact to find other used parts from guy who is knowledgeable about these models.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Spent some time on the yellow solo cowl. Washed, dried, sanded, wet sanded to 600. Washed again and cleaned with methyl hydrate. Sprayed with acrylic enamel...fish eyes.....sand them out, clean, respray....bug in the paint...sand it out, clean...respray. Big run in the paint. Washed it all off with varsol back to yellow. Will try again tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Painting your own parts is a bytch ask me how I know 🤣😂

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
I like to paint...
Don't get me wrong I like to do my own painting too, but I listened to some bad advice when I knew better and it cost me dearly

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Don't get me wrong. I like to paint too and it was a perfect day for it. Prep, prep, prep. One Partsource opens I will go get another can and have another go.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
OK Champs. I need to pick your brains. This thing doesn't have a temp gauge or volt meter. I have a great spot for them and the volt gauge is easy...the temp gauge is not. This is oil cooled and I have no idea where I would put the sensor. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I have an oil pressure light that seems to work but no way to know if I am over heating. Since I have no history with this bike or experience with this type of cooling system I wanna know what is going on down there.

Cool news, I have a package waiting for me at the post office. Hopefully it is carb kits. I foresee a day long communion with the Grease Gods tomorrow stripping and rebuilding then carb sync. The carbs are what is holding me up. Once it runs I am getting very close to being able to safety it. I may get on the road this summer after all!

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
My 1st thought on this is buy an electronic oil temp gauge and a T fitting and put it in where the pressure switch is located

·
Registered
487 Posts
Omg, I was typing a long reply and the website kicked me out.

1) oil pan drill and have a bung welded in. if the drain plug is big enough and located in a good position, they make drain plugs drilled and tapped for sensors
2) t off line from engine to oil cooler
3) some engines will have a separate port to connect an oil pressure sensor.

If you are going fancy with gauges, you can consider a dual oil press/temp gauge. I like the info on my old oil cooled bikes.

20200620_104708.jpg

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I will have to check but I think my regulator/pressure switch is in the oil pan.
Look what I found!

Just wonder if it’s in stock and/or a cheaper alternative locally.

Here’s the application chart
You are a good man. Thanks!

In other news. The parcel was my carb kits so am rebuilding as we speak. If anyone wants to drop by tomorrow with carb sync gauges I have a fuel rig and beer. Possibly BBQ.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I never worried too much about it with my '83 GS. On those really hot days in the 90's she would burn a bit more oil running in traffic. I could hear when it was running hot, and see a little smoke from the exhaust when I took off from a light. The sound of it would change. But it never did any damage that I am aware of. She kept going strong.
I have heard of some guys anchoring a sensor to the side of the head, between 2 of the carbs. I would go with the oil temp. You have an oil cooler, just put a T in the line going IN to the cooler.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I never worried too much about it with my '83 GS. On those really hot days in the 90's she would burn a bit more oil running in traffic. I could hear when it was running hot, and see a little smoke from the exhaust when I took off from a light. The sound of it would change. But it never did any damage that I am aware of. She kept going strong.
I have heard of some guys anchoring a sensor to the side of the head, between 2 of the carbs. I would go with the oil temp. You have an oil cooler, just put a T in the line going IN to the cooler.
You would be surprised how dramatically pressure changes which oil temp. I’ve seen oil pressure drop to low single digits with temp to 250+F on my 81 XS850 engine. Lack of oil pressure and accelerate cam wear is my main worry.
I adjust the viscosity oil I use based on what I’m seeing on the gauges. A little piece of mind for me.

If I had invested a lot of money in a built engine or just had an expensive rebuild, I think it is money/time well spent.
Just my 2 pennies...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I guess before I knew better (still don't actually), I only recently had a watercooled bike. Smaller Hondas, Yammers, and even my Suzy GS100ES was air cooled. the 1100 did have a small oil cooler IIRC. I ran/rode inline four Honda's that didn't even have an external oil cooler! My CB750 was bored, mild cams, valve job. I rode it mostly in the Texas heat.

In town in traffic, on a really hot day, you could feel the blistering heat come off the engine, etc.
I think the temp is not as much of an issue on engines like that as they are designed to run at a wider range of temps based on the tolerances, etc.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! LOL
My 750 did have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge I installed.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts