Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Looking good. Have you synced the carbs yet (sorry if you already posted about that already - May have missed it)?

Other than brake fluid, what’s left to do?

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Looking good. Have you synced the carbs yet (sorry if you already posted about that already - May have missed it)?

Other than brake fluid, what’s left to do?

Carbs are not synced. Waiting for a gauge set. A friend has one but hasn't had a chance to dig it out for me yet. Mechanically it is pretty much ready for a safety. I need to do the final fitting on the farings and source fasteners. Being '89 farings on the '91 frame was 90% a direct fit but the tail lights were different and I still have some brackets and McGivering to do back there. OEM windshield also needs to have scratches polished and installed. The most time consuming will be getting the title transferred. At the moment it is still on the California salvage title as frame only. Our Ministry of Transport would not convert the title till it was a complete motorcycle. I need a title to get a safety and a safety to get a title. I will likely get it verified as a motorcycle by the police to get the title then safety it. After that we are good.
Love to see that thing coming together Tin! Sounds great.
Bonus points for sandals and socks 👍
Thanks Leroy. Yes, my safety sandals did get in the shot, I apologize. I usually only wear them when I ride to Starbucks to do stoppies and hang dank nooners for the ladies.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Well had a little run I. The parking lot and it stumbles at 3500 if you tap it hard. Back to carb 101.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
OK, saving in 4K cause you can is overkill. 1080p seem..s to render in the same day.

Awesome looking ride Tin.

Love your accent too.

I can just hear you saying 'Hey you Hoser'!

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
964 Posts
She's getting there! Yes, tuning these carbs takes some trial, and error. Once you get them dialed in, you can forget them. Just don't forget to run Stabil through them before you put it up for the winter. Otherwise you will be doing this all over again next spring.

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
Registered
964 Posts
Where do you have your needles set? Sounds like they might be set too high? You can pull them without pulling the carbs...

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
The instructions in the jet kit had me raise the needles one notch. I didn't think it was running right so I lowered them back to the original position. Thankfully I can get at them without pulling the carbs.

My mixture screws were out 3 full turns. I set them back to 1 1/2 out. I am thinking I have the mix too lean. Running with the choke on makes it worse. Unfortunately you have to pull the carbs to adjust them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If the "choke" makes it worse, that indicates too rich. Did it rev higher with the needles raised one notch from center? Keep in mind, that lowering the E-clip, raises the needle.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Any updates? With the kit you bought, did it have you put bigger jets in the 2 middle carbs? This was common back then, as making the middle cylinders a little richer kept them a little cooler.
Anyway, I have been chasing a stumble/sputter at 1/8 - 1/4 throttle all season. Been driving me out of my freakin mind. Yesterday, I decided to try and lower the needles (from the center notch) one notch only in the 2 center carbs. Runs damn near perfect!!! FINALLY. Give it a shot if you are still having that issue.

·
SuperMod of the North
25,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
May have an update later in the weekend. Just got back from up north last night and my petcock had arrived this week. Will swap that out and drop the needles later today if have time. I had found out the original petcock I had was missing the filter. I am also wondering if I sucked some crap into my nice clean carbs running it without a filter. Tank looked clean but you never know.

221 - 233 of 233 Posts