Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

261 - 280 of 315 Posts

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Is time to have a beverage and play Buck Hunter in the garage. It has been a Spyder quality epic day.
image.jpg

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Registered
547 Posts
View attachment 294378

Here it is striped and ready for the swap next weekend. Trying to source an engine hoist to make the fork swap a lot easier. We did set up the DSLR and have have 212 pictures taken once a minute for a video later.
She's clean as a whistle!

I've used at different times the frame of a harbor freight shop press and rachet straps, one of those cherry picker hoists (also from harbor freight), and most recently pit bull stands front and rear. The front has a pin that fits in the steering stem hole under the lower triple but must be used in conjunction with the rear.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
I am fairly sure I can get the engine hoist. It makes doing the forks a breeze. Will then swap to the back and do the swing arm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow what a project! But at least the only thing you have to worry about when you get riding again will be your speed!! All this will make you cherish this bike even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Yeah, we have gotten to know each other quite a bit over the past 10 months. Any thing that is wrong with it after this is totally my fault.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Good to see you back in the garage. Looking forward to seeing the next installment of progress.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Nice update Tin! It's supposed to be mid 40's here this weekend- I plan to be 'out in the garage' too.

I think a slight bit of slack like it looked now should be good? Very cool you got the OEM tensioner to cooperate!

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Alright. Need to pick your brains. I have a ton of little stuff to do over the next month but I am also looking at other wish list stuff.

The previous owner has the same bike in black. He lives a few houses away and stops in occasionally to check on progress. I told him I was struggling a bit dialing in the carbs. He said it was because of the K&N pods. He had the same problem. Even whe the carbs were tuned by a good shop it still ran like crap. He went back to the stock air box and it was much much better.

I did some research and found out that the BST carbs don’t like pods. Apparently the lack of restriction doesn’t allow for a big enough pressure differential across the carbs and it can’t generate enough vacuum to operate correctly through mid upper range.

Carbs are coming out stock air box and boots going back in with stock filter. Needles getting dropped to middle notch and putting it all back in.

My question is this. Has anyone ever put an A/F gauge on one of these things? From what I have read a wide band sensor would set me back a couple hundred bucks but is a relatively easy install and good peice of mind. Being partially air cooled and not knowing the temp it is running I am worried about running lean.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
493 Posts
Do some runs and check the plugs.
Then do some tuning and check the plugs.
When you do your final run and the plug is acceptable.
you will reach legend status

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
CV carb in general do not like pod filters. Drilling the slides helps tremendously. But for these particular CV carbs I recommend the restricted airbox. Much less hassle with tuning. BUT, much harder to remove for tuning adjustments. It's a battle either way. Once you get them to that sweet spot you really won't know the difference from the pods. As Deathwish said, plug chops is your best tuning procedure.

Good to see an update. Can't wait to get out to the garage and get started on this seasons upgrades myself.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Yeah. It is a pain with the stock air box. I have to pull the carbs again to get it in. Then you have to pull the battery box and electrics plus drop the inner rear fender to get your arm in to slide the boots forward. Long term, the battery box and electrics come out again to change the air filter.

It is 24F at the moment and my fluorescent lights won’t fully come on in the garage. I am going to get torn down and hopefully it is warm enough this afternoon to get some flexibility in the boots.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
You have to pull all that just to change the filter?!? Dam, I just have to wrestle with a couple wire looms that wrap over the airbox. Hell, you just might want to keep tuning for the pods, lol.
I keep juggling the idea of trying them. Just don't want to spend all that money just to find I don't like the results of the tuning.
If your boots are really old, I would recommend replacing them. You won't have to worry about them again, and it does make it a LOT easier to work with them. I haven't replaced the airbox side, just the intakes.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
It is torn down now but I will post a pic when the air box is in place. It is brutal.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Yeah, I would have to take off my tail frame to get mine completely out. But just taking out the filter isn't so bad. I really do need to take my carbs out ONE more time before the season starts. Need to go down one jet size, still a little rich on the top end. Should be DONE after that. I have a new +4 timing ring to put in it, so I'll see how it is after that before rejetting.

OK, I'm done talking about MINE. This thread is about YOURS. Carry on, eh?

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Yeah. It is a pain with the stock air box. I have to pull the carbs again to get it in. Then you have to pull the battery box and electrics plus drop the inner rear fender to get your arm in to slide the boots forward. Long term, the battery box and electrics come out again to change the air filter.

It is 24F at the moment and my fluorescent lights won’t fully come on in the garage. I am going to get torn down and hopefully it is warm enough this afternoon to get some flexibility in the boots.
Hey there Tin. I too keep a thermometer on the wall that attaches to my home in my garage- to see what it is when I'm working on things. I use a small electric space heater along one of the walls close to the house. I let it run a bit befoere I start. It has a digital thermometer, and setting temps. It's about 2-4 Ft long. It really helps.
Then there are those that use propane and those jet engine looking things LOL.

My buddy had an 89 GSXR750, or maybe a 91? Anyways, he completely rebuilt it, and actually sold it for about 4 grand!
Anyways, It was carbed and when he tried the pod style, he had to put plastic of part of it and restrict it to get it to run well at all.
Other than the increased hassle of working on it- the stock, or slightly modified air box is the way to go IMHO.

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Dam that's gotta suck

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Wow, glad they improved on THAT design by '95, lol. That sucks...

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
OK. Now it sucks. Main harness is routed OVER the frame cross member here...air box won’t slide in place. Harness is coming out now.

261 - 280 of 315 Posts