Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
I still have the stock header on mine as well. I have a V&H on my '83 and just use 2 stock gaskets in each hole. Never had an issue with them. They are so cheap, I keep a stock of them, and would change them anytime I had the header off. (About once every other year to shoot a fresh coat of paint on them.)

Reactions: Tinsnips

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
Quick update. I was mentioning in the chat thread I had problems with intermittent tail and license plate lights. After tearing apart the harness and stripping it back AGAIN I found the ignition was not making on that circuit. I need this for a safety so I ordered a new ignition. I also mounted a volt meter tucked in the corner under the windscreen. While I was looking for a handy switched power source for it on the schematics I realized the ignition is a two pole switch. Red and Orange close to power everything up and the other poles are the brown and gray wires I need for the running lights. A quick jumper across these wires and everything works as it should. The only difference is that if the key is in the "P" position (intended to leave the lights on for visibility while parked on the road side) then the engine will crank. I have never used that function so not worried about it. I cancelled the ignition switch, for now it will be better used elsewhere.

I hope to finish up the electrical this week then on to finishing up brakes, chain, clutch and farings. I am hoping to get the safety check done and plates on it in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Awesome work Tin! You have done such an amazing job. We don't have any tech inspections here for motorcycles, and other that emission codes on the OBD2 for cars- nothing else either here in WI.
If your bike won't pass a tech there- THEY have a problem with their tech exam! LOL

·
Administrator
5,470 Posts
Morning Tin
pretty sure the reservoir the is pressurized with nitrogen and the end cap is where you remove it to rebuild it. It does not raise or lower it I DON’T think. I think it is just like the reservoir on the Olins TTX shock. Now I don’t know for sure but this is what I think and makes the most since to me. Great job on it Tin I like your attention to detail I can tell you’re not a Hack I like that 👍

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #306
Thanks Jet, a little further reading revealed that you have to change the dog bones to change the ride height. I am looking for stock height so that is sorted. It is weird that the service manual didn’t cover this. It ain’t broke so I’m not fixing it.

As far as not being a hack - thanks, it is my ass going down the highway on this so I wanna make sure it is correct. I’m not going for the full restoration, I just want a clean example of the bike. Gotta be honest, the fasteners are all over the place, a mix match of everything. Maybe next winter I will get some new correct sets. Right now just having them torqued to spec is good.

I’ve been a fan of The Mandolorian and after having assembled this thing from anything I could find in the boxes a common phrase a person who can make anything from the wrong parts has been The Mangle-orian. As an aircraft mechanic you would shudder at the autrocities.

After

Reactions: Spyder13

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Sorry Tin, I just saw your latest question about this. Jet is correct. It does not appear to be dampening adjustable either. Mine has an adjustment screw for that. But the ride height is indeed adjusted with the "dogbone" suspension links. Good luck finding the proper ones for your bike. I had to use a set for an early 2000's on mine. Still works just fine, but really can't get to the "stock" ride height. It is either low (where it is now), too low, or too high, lol. Finding parts for our old girls can be a challenge to say the least.

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Thanks for the reply. I have the OEM assembly so the ride height is correct. A little taller than my 2010 600 was but still comfortable The OEM rear shock only has compression damping but both compression and rebound on the forks. I found a copy of the owners manual and the suspension set up is well covered including the factory settings. I am a couple cheeseburgers heavier (like 20lb cheeseburgers) than the ideal rider so will have to put some seat time in to get it dialed in.

·
Premium Member
1995 GSX-R 750
1,449 Posts
Sweet ! ! ! It worked... So what this mod does, is gives you constant battery voltage to the coils, still only activated by the key.
You will also benefit GREATLY by installing an aftermarket set of coils, like Accel, or Dyna...

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
Damn, that is cool! I am still working out the final kinks to getting this thing on the road so will not likely do it right now but it is certainly on the list for later in the year. I had heard about this mod but never understood the wiring diagram enough to take it on. Thank you Sir!

Reactions: Spyder13

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Mornin everyone. An update on the latest issue. I was having difficulty with a clutch that would not release. It is hydraulic and I originally thought it was not bled properly. I bled it bottom to top, top to bottom, with a vacuum pump, with zip tied lever, you name it - I did it. I put a quart of brake fluid through it and still pulling the clutch lever would not disengage the clutch. I could drop it in 1st gear and it would clunk hard. I needed to use the front brake to hold it still.

I pulled the clutch cover off and with the help of a friend located a 50mm socket to remove the pressure plate. Almost ALL of the friction pads had come off. Loose pads got trapped between the plates and jammed the clutch pack up. Video is below, it is a mess in there. In hind sight I should have pulled the clutch plates and re-soaked them in oil, the dried up pads failed very quickly.

Warning - it is ugly.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
SuperMod of the North
27,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
Russ just swapped the clutch in his and had also ordered springs. He found the Barnett heavy duty springs were too much and swapped back in one of the OEM and one Barnett - much better, says it shifts like a dream now. I ordered the same clutch pack and will use the spring he has left over for the same set up.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Wow! Never really seen that. A lot I haven't seen though.
Glad you diagnosed methodically and found it!

Your videos are awesome too. Clear, short, to the point, with a great accent narration too LOL

I'd sound like a TX ******* if I did one LOL

301 - 315 of 315 Posts