Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 13 Gsxr1000 and believe the bike has original tires on it(Bridgestone battlaxs20)the bike only has 4k miles and tires have plenty of life. I read somewhere tires last 6 or 7 yrs. Should I keep or buy new ones?? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
Welcome.

The tires are likely 6-7 years old. You can look at the date code on the tires to confirm. It is a four digit code molded into the side wall. The first two digits are the week the tire was made (01-52) and the second two digits the year. (likely 16)

That being said, the age and 4,000 miles on the OEM tires, that are usually not the best anyway, it is time for tires.

You depend so much on the grip of the tires on a motorcycle that old, hard tires are not worth the few dollars you try and save getting a another 500 miles out of them.

I know I wonder why I put up with crap tires to wear them out as soon as I feel the pleasure of a new set.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am almost certain my first lowside on the new to me 2011 gsxr750 I bought about 3 years ago was due to old aged tires.

I was on the track and leaning it pretty far, but I will no longer trust old tires.

The bike was also stored outside at the side of the previous owner's house in the winters, in Chicago. I'm sure this accelerated the deterioration as well.

Just like expired contraception, it's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Oem tires are the worse. They generally don't perform as well as same model of the manufactured tire. That's the first mod I ever do when I get a bike.

Plus your tires are from 2013. If you crash, it will cost you more than a new set of tires. Stay away from any moisture on the roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts