Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 gixxer 600 with a lil over 6000 miles on it. Its still on the original tires. Yes i know its bout time for a change.

Anyway, Ive always had a flat spot on the rear tire. I do alot of highway riding/crusing. Some guys i ride with noticed that in the middle of the flat spot its cupping in slightly.

I usually try to keep the tire pressure at what the book says.

I went to the dealer and asked a mechanic what he thought of it. He said its completly normal and that my tires look very good for 6000 miles.

So my question is, is it really normal? What causes it to cup?

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
Basically, it's reaching it's wear limit. As the flat spot develops, the center of the tread gets thinner and when it approaches the cords, it will start to lose shape and strength, and the center of the tire will bend inwards. I would get a new tire asap. Depending on what tire you're running, it's probably normal mileage for that to happen.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
my front tire was doing the same thing and causing a lil vibration.. if ur only doing straight line riding i.e lots of hwy riding then the tire is going to wear only in the middle so the back will tend to block off and front cup.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Fairly common on tires with some miles...doesn't have to be alot but a fair amount and can occur on the sides or slightly off center. It's ABSOLUTELY NOT caused by improperly balanced tires either. Tire pressure can be a slight (very slight) factor but not much unless the pressure is just rediculously off. Cupping is just the result of the side of the tire doing it's job...gripping the surface of the road. The uneven wear is just the result of the forces encountered while the bike is leaning and working on the rubber. The leading edge of the tread does not flex as much as the trailing edge as it grips the road so the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression or "cupping". Got it :thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya... its happening in the center of the tire. Its in the middle of the flat spot. So basically instead of riding on the very center of the tire its riding on both sides of the center... if that makes any sense.

·
Anti-squid moderator
6,476 Posts
Ya... its happening in the center of the tire. Its in the middle of the flat spot. So basically instead of riding on the very center of the tire its riding on both sides of the center... if that makes any sense.
Is the wear slightly off center (left or right or both) or dead center?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the wear slightly off center (left or right or both) or dead center?
Hmm... dunno how else to explain it.

Picture a tire that has worn a flat spot all the way around from riding straight highway. Say this flat spot is 3" wide.
Now in the middle of the flat spot there is a dip that runs the whole circumference of the tire.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill be needing a new tire soon. I plan to stick with the stock Bridgestone BT016. Its a 180/55zr-17. I know there is a general BT016 and an OEM model specific tire. The model number is M. I have heard that the general BT016 is a better tire than the oem model specific. Something to do with more or better compounds. Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
463 Posts
i dont know the specific brands but i know you can find a tire that has a softer edge but harder compound in the middle..for guys like us that tend to do alot of the straight line riding.. i would look into those kinds seeing as they might fit your riding style a little better

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.