Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this set of Dunlop Q3+'s I currently have on, I noticed that the left side of both tires are slightly more worn just left of the center line than the right is?
I never really noticed this on other sets really.

So I'm thinking:
  • Is by frame/bike bent somehow? I did get it used, no evidence of any crashes.
  • Does it track straight when I let go of the bars?- YES
  • Do the wheels look out of center when I look from front or back when on stands?- No
Then on my way home from a short tide today, I realized I was sort of riding with my head and upper torso slightly
to the right of center. I never noticed it before.
Yes, I get my head and upper torso way outside the windscreen on BOTH sides pretty equal while cornering, but when I'm just cruising, or 'getting on it' in more of a straight line, I kind of cock me head a little to the right.
This makes the bike counter -lean to the left just slightly while going in a straight line.
This Slight left ward lean, after many thousand 'spirited' miles, I believe is causing the left center of my tire to wear slightly sooner than the right center of it.

Front

Rear

And yes, that's the left side of both tires.

I NEVER do burnouts. Sometimes on a hard acceleration, or a 'clutch up 3rd gear'- the rear wheel will break loose a little.

I'm open to any other explanations.- School me.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I'd get the frame measured just for piece of mind. But, roads usually have a crown to them for drainage and slope to the right. When you're riding, you compensate for this by turning left ever so slightly. So slight you never really realize or feel it. If you go to a bike night, look for bikes with a lot of tire wear. You'll probably notice the center of wear is to the left of the center of the tire.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd get the frame measured just for piece of mind. But, roads usually have a crown to them for drainage and slope to the right. When you're riding, you compensate for this by turning left ever so slightly. So slight you never really realize or feel it. If you go to a bike night, look for bikes with a lot of tire wear. You'll probably notice the center of wear is to the left of the center of the tire.
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't think of the road crown playing a part, you're probably right too.
I think this in combination with me keeping my head and upper torso slightly to the right also- shifting the bike slightly left too.
As I said, like coasting to a stop or light and taking my hands off the bars and sitting up a bit, it tracks really straight. I don't have to lean one way of the other to keep it straight.
The rear wheel adjustment can also play a role in that. Even if the marks are equal on the adjusters- may not always be the same too. But as I said, it does track straight. Looks straight too.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neighbors invited the fam. to go on a boat ride in Milwaukee Hatbor and Lake Michigan. Pretty big boat- it's all relative though.
So I had to get out for some quick safe turns close to me this morning before lunch.

Buzz LightYear- Space Ranger

I now consciously keep my head slightly to the left side now. We'll see after a while if it evens up the wear?

Reactions: JCW and RockerGuy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts