Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Yesterday I got some washers- ended up getting 7/8 ID ones. The M20's they had were huge OD and heavy metal.
I bought 6 and used 5. 5 were about 6,5mm thick.

Last night after a drink I raised the tank and took off the nut on the top of the upper shock mount. Then I looked at my floor jack, scissor jack, and bottle jack about how to safely raise the frame up to get the washers/spacer in there.
Images of my bike falling and I called it a night- actually went to have a homebrew stout.

This morning, turned on my space heater, garage went from 48F to 55F quickly.
I knew my wife was moving one of our Pilots/SUV this morning, I could get it turned around where I could hang the rear of my bike on my garage hangers. After a what seemed like a 12 point turn, got it back on it's rear stand and hung it.

Got it raised and got the washers/spacer on the upper shock mount, under the frame. Lots of threads there to use still for the nut on top. (the shock, not the nut on top of the bike LOL)

I don't often use Locktite, but I thought this would be a good place for it. I don't often use my Torque wrench either- but I thought this would be a good place to use it too. I had to get out my online manual- dig around- 83 Ft/lbs. (not 82, or 84 LOL).

So, I'm planning on riding tomorrow- day off again- will be a high of 58F and sunny!
So I decided to put the battery back in and crank her up.

In my cupboard I have 2 batteries, I don't 'member which was newer. I tried one of them.
** Holy crap- the lights wouldn't even come on! No lights on, nothing- yes terminals were tight.
I got scared, all these scenarios about what could be wrong? It ran perfect when I put it away last November.
I took the dome off, looked all around in there for signs or a rodent- chewed wires?- None.
Took that battery out- 11.98V on the multimeter?
Test the one in my cupboard 12,95V.
Put that one in- I have lights! It cranked for a few seconds and started right up, went thru it's faster idle thing, the n settled in.

I guess the ECU does all kinds of weird things when it doesn't see enough voltage.

I took it out in pants and sweatshirt, no helmet or gloves, and did a bunch of circles in the cul de sac I live on.
Sounds great- you can hear it well with no ear plugs and no helmet..

I guess b/c I haven't been on it for months, that with the clip ons nearly 2" lower in the OEM spot, it still felt really good.
The fork tubes a a bit lower in the triples, still up a bit - as per some printed tuning guides for this bike.
I had also read about people putting the spacer in the rear a bit- hence I did that too. I tippy to a little more now LOL.
As you know the sag setting will stay where it was, raising it with a spacer does not affect that.

* The new MC felt OK too. Not really any different- yet. I went from a 19 to a 17,4mm MC per Bill V's suggestions.
If he said it, I'm confident it's going to be good.

Going on a ride tomorrow when it's a bit warmer.

Yee haw!

Reactions: HydeWhyte

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Sweet how a few more electrons and Bill's advice help a fella out. A little more torque-wrench and a little less tippy-toe does a @Todd_Sails good too.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
So 2 days ago I went riding on some local country twisties, with a friend on an 04 CBr1000r, and a 99 CB1100- blackbird?
We met at my house to start the ride. He came in and got a bottle of water I offered. This guy is pretty fast on that CB1100. He asked me on messenger what I did and how long I'd been riding. I messaged him back telling him.
Then I asked him what he did and how long.
He said as long as he could remember, and
he was a Farrier.

Now I know many of you know what that professional term means, I didn't. I admit I asked Siri.
Now I know too. Trims horse hooves, and I didn't ask him yet if he does the Blacksmiths part or not too.

So interesting the people you met in life.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Yesterdays ride home from work thru the country roads was great. It was 56F! The day before the extra hour, so I had to take a slightly more direct route to get home before sundown. Didn't see any deer- I was look'n.
I had one 'oh hell' moment when I was kinda low and went of a large tar smake. Even though it was colder, that one was still slick AF. Wasn't so low I couldn't save it though. Stayed cool, saw the local cops thru the small towns- no problem.

I'm really starting to actually LIKE the suspension changes I made and to the dampening too. BION, even though my hands are nearly 2" lower again and the rear end is 6mm higher, it power wheelies in 3rd way better now! I think because now the suspension dampening is a bit stiffer, so it doesn't flex/absorb thru the suspension so much. My story, I'm sticking to it LOL.

The front brake MC also Does feel better and is stopping slightly better too. I few times I got the rear wheel off the ground- which I rarely ever do. So, even with the HH pads- I liked it. I feel it will be more than enough for my Novice Track Day session in 10 weeks.

I took these pics when I got home:

The last bit of snow left- that is a shady spot. Supposed to get more on Monday.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
Man, that is a beautiful machine. Glad you're getting to enjoy it!

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Thanks Hyde,
It's nice this time year when not many bugs are out yet. Most of my riding is in the country and there are always lots of bug guts to clean off.
I actually haven't cleaned it since I put it away last Fall!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Well, I had the Zip tie on the front brake lever really tight for days.
It never lost pressure tension! I think that is good. Not as likely I need a rebuild of MC or calipers atm.
Bled the entire system one more time last night. Did not see any bubbles in the hose this time either.

I rode it in to work this morning- a balmy 28F.
It will be 55F when I get off- for my longer/twisty way home.

I'm trying to decide now If these tires will make it until my Track Day 5/31/21.
They were put on last July- 8 months ago. They look good now, but if I ride too much before the TD, I'll need another set LOL. I want to go with these, or maybe screw it, I'll mount a new set a few weeks before and ride them a few times to scrub them in? My first TD- will be in the Novice group anyways.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I had some funds at STG, so I decided to order a few 'things' to help spend it last week.

I'm getting new(er) knee grip tank pads, and a front axle slider- (that I'd like to NEVER see how well it works! LOL).

Woodcraft Suzuki GSX-R1000 05-11 Front Axle Slider KitW|W45-0247F|01
Stompgrip Suzuki GSX-R1000 05-06 Traction Pad Tank KitS|2273-55-10-0049|01

I already have a set of Bridgestone S21's: 190/55 and 120/70 already delivered ready to go on before My TD!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
In preparation for my first Track Day in one week, I'm finishing up getting the bike prepped for it.

My Tank pads weren't cutting it anymore, so off they came and with a little Kerosene to clean the old glue off, I got the tank prepped and my new Stomp Grips installed. With the side fairings off I cleaned things a bit.
Why, oh why would you put a fuse box under a side fairing so that the only way to check or change a fuse is to take the left side fairing off? I pulled the headlight fuses. When you pull the one marked signal- you loose all dash and running lights too. So I put the signal one back in.

When I pulled the fuses, I then realized the fuses had some corrosion on them!

I sprayed some wd40 in the fuse box sparingly and dried it with a hair dryer. Then used a dab of di electric grease in there too.

I also got my newly mounted wheel weights duct taped on too. Yeah, that's the dot. I lined it up with the heaviest part of the rim w/o tire on it, then balanced.

Then I got my lenses taped up too. I've never done this and only seen pictures. I only wanted the lenses covered and this is how it turned out. The tail lights and blinkers look similar too.

I'll be taking my bar end mirrors off and putting the OEM bar ends back too.

I also realized that the rear brake light switch wasn't working. I rarely use the rear brakes. On my Literbike #1, a PO had removed the entire rear brake light swtich- it didn't really matter, the front worked. But my current LB #2 has it still. The spring for the swtich on the bottom wasn't ;pulling it far enough to engage.
I tried to bend more, it broke. So I bent another hook on the end and put a zip tie from the spring to the lever tang for it. I don't need it, the front still works- but it bothered me that something on the bike wasn't working- even if it was only the rear brake light switch I don't need.
I fixed it too.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I got the side plastics back on after some cleaning.
I also used some of the plastic glue/weld stuff that works on things and comes with the little UV light too.
You shine the little light on it and the glue hardens almost instantly! I was skeptical- but it actually works!
I fixed the broken tabs hold some of the left side pieces together, and I fixed a crack at the lower right rear that was there when i got the bike. The PO pointed it out too.

With the Bar end mirrors off, lights all taped up, it looks bad ass!
Getting all ready for my first Track Day this weekend. I haven't even done it yet, and I already realize I should have done this a few years ago!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
After a successful TD last weekend- my first TD, I'm getting a few things changed back to street trim.
Minor things really- except the tires LOL

I was able to loosen the left side plastics and with a regular pair of needle nose pliers, I was able to get the headlight fused back in w/o taking them off this time!
My light tape job came off pretty easy too.
License plate back on.
Still need to swap out the bar ends to my bar end mirrors- 2to 5 minute job. Then it will be totally Street legal again.
I also want to swap my tires back to my not to worn Michelins Pilot power 2's, to 'save' my Battlax S21's for the next track day. But then I have to swap them again too!
The thought occurred to me to just leave the battlax's on and ride street so every time someone looks at my tires- they could be impressed? But then, yeah/naw- going to change them out as soon as I can.
I don't need that pseudo cred or no chicken strips LOL.

Hopefully, I can do the swaps 2 more times and my plan is to do a 3rd TD in September at Blackhawk farms with the same set of Battlax's!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
With some struggling, I was able to take off the Bridestones, and re-mount the Michelin Pilot Power 2's. They are about 1/2 worn now.

I'm re mounting, (or maybe having it done LOL) them a week before my next Rack Day, at Road America her in WI. on 07/25/21.

181 - 192 of 192 Posts