Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
OK, so my research so far says that NO, you can't use the same Ethylene glycol tester for Propylene Glycol.
The thing with the floating balls tester. I guess that's why mine clearly states on it- ethylene glycol?

** Edit- oh, I found one online from Autozone! $24 ? F- that, hell no.

** Here's one online, for $16+, still- yeah/naw

I'm going to trust that my motor will be fine- especially using the cover and a heat source under it too this winter.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Well, I put the damper back on after I made sure I couldn't tighten the headset anymore with tapping the groove with various things and a hammer.

I also got a 36mm socket from my neighbor for this, and decided to get one off Amazon Prime too! A 36mm impact socket that is- fits the rear axle nut and the headset cap nut. Oh nuts!

This is just a pic from a few weeks ago when I installed my Blue Silicone coolant hoses.
I just had to post a pic LOL

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
OK, so my research so far says that NO, you can't use the same Ethylene glycol tester for Propylene Glycol.
The thing with the floating balls tester. I guess that's why mine clearly states on it- ethylene glycol?

** Edit- oh, I found one online from Autozone! $24 ? F- that, hell no.

** Here's one online, for $16+, still- yeah/naw

I'm going to trust that my motor will be fine- especially using the cover and a heat source under it too this winter.
The Engine Ice description says it has freeze protection up to -26F, does it get that cold where you are?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
The Engine Ice description says it has freeze protection up to -26F, does it get that cold where you are?
Usually not. But it 'says' that. I've also read -6F too! Either way I'll think I'll be fine, however if it does freeze in there this winter- Bad things could happen. That's why some just drain it every season! I think I'll be fine with the tarp and a heater for the really cold days/nights. We get lots of those here in WI.
I'll probably also just get a tester designed for Propylene glycol too!

Reactions: HydeWhyte

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Instead of bike night last night, I got my Gix all the way back together.
I had the side fairings off- checked the Radiator level and coolant tank- toped it off a bit.
Mad sure my Head bearings were tight.
Removed my steering damper- which was working great. Changed out the fluid from 5W to 15W. Re installed it. Got the plastics back on and everything all tidied up!
Ready to hit my after work twisties for my 'long twisty way' home tomorrow!

PFA

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Instead of bike night last night, I got my Gix all the way back together.
I had the side fairings off- checked the Radiator level and coolant tank- toped it off a bit.
Mad sure my Head bearings were tight.
Removed my steering damper- which was working great. Changed out the fluid from 5W to 15W. Re installed it. Got the plastics back on and everything all tidied up!
Ready to hit my after work twisties for my 'long twisty way' home tomorrow!

PFA

Bro that is one good looking machine! And I find it cool that you don't have to take it to a mechanic for every little thing it needs.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Thank You Hyde! I rarely take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Ok, update on my 'Spirited' ride home on my favorite country twisties today!

It has a different 'feel' with the different weight fluid in the damper for sure. At really low speeds like a parking lot- it takes a bit of getting use to- but it's OK for sure.

But on my usual country twisties I ride, it definitely 'feels' more 'planted' on the spirited corners. I say this because I didn't really spend any more money on that system other than a Liter of 15W fork oil and a little time. I love working/tinkering with my bike so it was nothing.

I also recently tweaked/adjusted the suspension front and rear with the biggest 'click' change in the front compression system. My second ride with this set up and it feels good/better to me. I'm leaving it here for now. I always write the setting down when I adjust it too.

Maybe somebody reads this and gets some ideas and or helps them with improvements?

Things look great for my 3rd TD session this season coming up in September.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
So I'm talking to one of the Hardley engineers last night at bike night. Young intelligent guy. He was on his '21 v4 Tuono. Says he just traded in his v2 Panigale to get it. He know bikes. We start looking at my ride. You could tell he doesn't now Suzuki well enough to right away to know what size/year mine is. No big deal.
When I told him it was the 2005, etc. He rolled his eyes and said something like 'oh yeah, the 2005/6 GSXR1000- that's a handful right there! LOL
So, he obviously knew by reputation about my bike.
I got a satisfying grin out of that one.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
My bike has been running great lately, handling well too. I'm liking the last adjustments I made to it so far.

But last night at a bike night, I keep eyeing the RSV4, and the S1000RR too LOL.

But with 2 kids just starting college this year/now, I think that thought not only went to the back burner, it's all the way off the stove! LOL

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
I feel your pain, Todd. I’ve been eyeing the S1000RR for quite some time. Just need to cross other stuff off the list first.
I figure at least I do have the bike that the BMW engineers used as a model/base for their design!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
So I did a little more prep for my Track Days coming up this weekend.
Changed the earl, I used Mobil1 4T this time- it was on sale at walmart.

I also took the calipers off and sprayed the pistons with brake cleaner and took a tooth brush to them. I made them extend alot to do it. Then I sprayed the interface piston/caliper with Silicone too. It's nice to know I still have a LOT of pad left up front for my TD's this weekend!

Then I bled my brakes, as I was doing it, I noticed the MC/lever moving some when I did the bled the MC. I thought it was just a bit loose. When I finished I went to tighten it up, and went Oh, no wonder why it's a little loose.
The lower bolt for the clamp was missing!

I'm thinking where am I goona get one of those. There's a hardwarrd store a few blocks away that has all kinds of bolts, nuts and screws. But it wouldn't be black anodized.
Then I remembered I had my OEM MC in a bag on a shelf in my garage!
I scavenged it- problem solved!

I use a little clear hose to bleed the brakes with.
This time I noticed EVERY time I pumped the lever on the MC, I saw a few little bubbles!
(no, my Res. was not sucking air LOL)
But it never leaks a drop either?

This winter I'll have to get and do a rebuild kit on the K9 MC (17mm)- that went with my K9 monobloc calipers.

I'm tempted to put my stocker 19mm on and see if I get a better 'feel' out of it!

My front brakes have done well the last 2 TD's with this very set up. I didn't notice any brake fade, etc.
I was glad to see I have plenty of pad left for 2 more TD's too!

Brakes? Brakes are for pussies, right? LOL

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
So I did a little more prep for my Track Days coming up this weekend.
Changed the earl, I used Mobil1 4T this time- it was on sale at walmart.
I was glad to see I have plenty of pad left for 2 more TD's too!

Brakes? Brakes are for pussies, right? LOL
Good earl like Mobil 4T is essential and wanna see those brake-rotors glowing red at the entry into the curve after beginning their warmup vis-a-vis braking-point initiation.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
So, my TD's at Blackhawk Farms Raceway went well.
I got moved into intermediate on my 3rd TD!

Here's the 2 best pics of that weekend from 9/11 and 9/12/21

Some pics from that weekend

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Hello GSX-R,

I had planned to go to Bike Night last night after work. Everything was going well. I rolled my Gixxer out onto the sidewalk. Eat a quick dinner, and get geared up. Put the key in- Nothing!
Holy shirt, I planned to do a 400 + mile day on Sunday on it in 3 days!

I had to say, OK, don't panic, what happened?
Last time this happened I was going to the track and I removed the wrong fuse, instead of the headlight fuse. Well, I hadn't touched the fuses- I doubted that was it. Could it be this 30A main fuse everyone talks about? Quite honestly- I don't even know where to find that one! I'll ask in another post.

I roll it back in, get my crappy multi meter- nothing in the battery?
I put my battery charger on it, and set it to the fast mode, within minutes the dash lights come on, still a slow crank, then starts clicking.
I keep the fast mode battery charger on it and few more minutes, then remove it and jump it with my Honda Pilot- engine off. ( I always heard/read that was better to jump a motorcycle that way).
It starts!
I let it idle and put the seat back on and take my chances!
I get about 1/2 mile from home, stopped at a light and ACCIDENTALLY hit my kill switch! I'm thinking Oh no, at least I can roll it back to my house from here though easily! LOL
Flip it to run- it starts right back up!

At bike night I tried it a few times- knowing that a short start and shut off could actually drain it some.

It started and got me home fine- it was dark by now and the lights were bright too!

So, what happened?

All I can think of is when I got a bunch of new keys cut, some of them would barely go in the ignition, and get caught coming out, etc. I tried all of them, and got them all to work 2 days ago.
I'm thinking that somehow when the ignition switch was messed with some, it now made it have a current draw and drained the battery? Nothing else changed, and it ran/runs fine.
The keys were NOT in the ignition for 2 days- it was NOT left on, or the parking lights left on either.
I don't think it's my battery, although it is at least 3-4 yrs old now too. With it running, my crappy meter would get about 13.87V, before I left the house after I got it running.

This morning before swim practice ( I drive my Pilot/SUV to swim), I put the key in, waited for the prime and gauge sweep- and it cranked right up!

I'll keep an eye on it until Sunday when I'm taking on the Fall 2021 Slimey Crud Run! Lots of riding, twisties, hanging out with thousands of other bikes at various stops, etc.

PFA:

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Well, in the TL/DR above- I had a dead battery last thursday.

Since then, it still has power and started the bike right up yesterday and today. I drove my SUV in to work today which is a Saturday. It rained a bunch coming in.
This morning I saw a Gander of Geese, a Racoon- he was just sitting there- a really fat one too, and a rainbow from end to end!

I think I'll be OK taking in a 400+ mile twisty run tomorrow! This is the same 'Slimey Crud Run' where I ran off into the woods over 4 years ago. Things will go well tomorrow too.
Provided it's not raining too much. I can handle some rain for a ride/event like this, just not a whole day of rain.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Hey there all looking in on the continued Saga of my K5 LiterBike,

So, I've been shopping online for Front MC rebuild kits for my bike. You may remember I have K9 Gix1000 front calipers (supposed as good as Brembro?), and to match the ratio better I also had a K9 MC on. I didn't rebuld any of it, just used it LOL. No leaks and holds pressure well.
All the K9 stuff came off Flea Bay, from different sellers. They all bolted right up and I've been using it and have now done 4 Track Days with this set up too. It's not dangerous, stops well, it'll stoppie, etc.
But I'm just not 100% happy with the lever feel.
So, I'll be rebuilding the front MC soon on my quest for a better 'feel'.
I ordered online, not FleaBay- from BrakeCrafters.com- nice easy to use website too.
I looked on FleaBay, many as low as $18 shipped!

I amazed myself and went for this one for $48, and free shipping

I'm riding tomorrow and/or Monday. Forecast is Clear, 64F Sunday, 72F Monday!

201 - 220 of 232 Posts