Suzuki GSXR Forum banner
221 - 232 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
It was about 65F Sunday, and BRIGHT Sun all day with no clouds.
Me and 2 friends went riding. A 2021 ZX6R, a Duc Streetfighter, and me.
Brian on his Duc

It was an Awesome day. ~ 100 miles of country twisties. NO LEO problems.
My 'ol K5 Liter felt SSOOOOOoooo good! Wheelies on demand, handling like a dream, and SMOOTH!

Then yesterday, Monday I took it to my fav. in town twisty

Then I rode to the Dentist for a check up, then rode over to our library to give blood.
FM- they cancelled it, not enough workers! FML

This bike runs soooo well, I'm tempted NOT to do anything to it this winter.
So far- 2 projects, well 3.
  • Swap my tires back to the Michelins to keep the Bridestones for track days next season
  • rebujild my MC
  • Put iridium/new plugs in

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 · (Edited)
Looks like this Sunday will be 66F out where I'm going to ride!

There is a group over in the Madison/Lacrosse side of WI. that are pretty serious. (The OTHER side of WI from me LOL).
I like the fact they post on their little FB group site that if you don't show up in full gear, you're not riding with them!
They have a ride west of Madison this Sunday that I'll be going on!

In order to NOT ride the 90miles to and from the meet up spot, I'm gong to Truck it over and back from there.

** Edit- Celebrating my sons 212st birthday with the fam. Missing the ride, Oh well.

** 2nd Edit- Imma goona sneak off in this great weather we're having this weekend for a shorter, closer to home twisty ride!
They recently paved one of the long 90degree sweepers on HwyK near me!
Even the Ricer car guys know about this one LOL.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I got to ride yesterday, November 8th, 2021. Sunny and 67F.

As always I had checked the tire pressures, chain, lube status, etc. Check!

My bike feels and rides so amazing! They have now re-paved some of my favorite Country twisties- nice corners as good or better than a racetrack now! My bike is so much fun to ride, comfort, and power on demand, but more importantly, handles like a dream. Like it's 'on rails' , 'planted', etc.

On road humps 3rd and 4th gear power wheelies, or a slight clutch up at the right time, and long wheelies off those.
I was having a blast. It was a Monday, so no real LEO problems of concerns either LOL.

Helmet Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Rim

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Hey there all looking in on the continued Saga of my K5 LiterBike,

So, I've been shopping online for Front MC rebuild kits for my bike. You may remember I have K9 Gix1000 front calipers (supposed as good as Brembro?), and to match the ratio better I also had a K9 MC on. I didn't rebuld any of it, just used it LOL. No leaks and holds pressure well.
All the K9 stuff came off Flea Bay, from different sellers. They all bolted right up and I've been using it and have now done 4 Track Days with this set up too. It's not dangerous, stops well, it'll stoppie, etc.
But I'm just not 100% happy with the lever feel.
So, I'll be rebuilding the front MC soon on my quest for a better 'feel'.
I ordered online, not FleaBay- from BrakeCrafters.com- nice easy to use website too.
I looked on FleaBay, many as low as $18 shipped!

I amazed myself and went for this one for $48, and free shipping

I'm riding tomorrow and/or Monday. Forecast is Clear, 64F Sunday, 72F Monday!
Well, I have the OEM quality MC rebuild kit in my garage, waiting for the Winter project time LOL.

Then, after reading a post about the 'play' on the cheaper Chinese levers and it going away with a CRG lever, I bought a CRG lever today!
I'll have it installed soon and see if that improves my lever feel! Before I rebuild the MC.

I also bought an under suit on sale too! This way I get free shipping!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Well, I have the OEM quality MC rebuild kit in my garage, waiting for the Winter project time LOL.

Then, after reading a post about the 'play' on the cheaper Chinese levers and it going away with a CRG lever, I bought a CRG lever today!
I'll have it installed soon and see if that improves my lever feel! Before I rebuild the MC.

I also bought an under suit on sale too! This way I get free shipping!
Well, I got the new undersuit for the leathers. STG was so smart when they put some money back from your previous purchase on an account for more merchandise. It sucks you in! So does the free shipping over a certain amount LOL.

Clothing Outerwear Shoulder Neck Sleeve

I also got a new front brake lever, a CRG one. I had what I thought was a nice Chicom one on there. it was OK. NO problems with it except I didn't like that although I bled it, it didn't catch until at least half of the lever pull!
After reading a post about that, I tried just the front brake lever a CRG, from STG.
Wow, what a difference the lever makes! WAY less spongy, grabs Way out there, etc.!

Now that I have Proylene Glycol (water wetter) in as coolant for the Track Days, I wanted to be SURE of not freezing in the motor. It's pretty new, I'm not draining it each season, etc.
I put it under it's tarp, and put a small lite under it. I never buy incandescent bulbs anymore- put out way more heat. Do they still make those LOL?
I put a CFL bulb under it, a little warmer than the LED bulbs.

Reactions: Shizmot

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
So, instead of the CFL bulb which doesn't put out much heat anyways, I got this 500W little heater to put under the bike with the cover on it like in the picture of the last post.
Mobile phone Product Automotive lighting Telephony Grille

Nice and toasty. Remember- my goal was not to have anything freeze with the Propylene Glycol in it. Same stuff as Water Wetter.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
500 watts is equal to about 1750 btu which should be enough as long as the electric doesn't go out or it doesn't quit working.
IIRC, this was your area of expertise. Thanks WB! When it's really cold, I'm going to put an old sleeping bag over the tarp too, to help keep some of the heat in there as the temp goes below freezing IN the garage LOL.

Reactions: Winchester Boy

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
This may be a stupid comment as I don’t live in a region that gets very cold, but…

Could you not just dump the coolant and let it sit empty over winter?

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
This may be a stupid comment as I don’t live in a region that gets very cold, but…

Could you not just dump the coolant and let it sit empty over winter?
Certainly not a 'stupid comment'. Of course I could. That would a little more than sticking a heater under it- but not too hard. I just put all new hoses and that coolant in it a few months ago- and wanted to keep it in there.
Honestly- I don't think it would ever freeze in there (the highest freeze point I've researched is -6F, and the lowest is -26 for that propylene glycol), but I want to made REAL sure it doesn't! LOL

·
Mod of the North
28,883 Posts
Certainly not a 'stupid comment'. Of course I could. That would a little more than sticking a heater under it- but not too hard. I just put all new hoses and that coolant in it a few months ago- and wanted to keep it in there.
Honestly- I don't think it would ever freeze in there (the highest freeze point I've researched is -6F, and the lowest is -26 for that propylene glycol), but I want to made REAL sure it doesn't! LOL
I think the freeze point is dependent on the concentration. It is my understanding that the freeze point when combined with water can actually be lower when they are combined at the right concentration. Above or below is less effective. Water expands when it freezes. When in solution with the glycol it still freezes independently but creates a slush rather than a solid mass. When Glycol freezes it actually contracts and relieves some of the pressure created by the ice.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
December 2nd, 2021!
I went for a short ride today. Short for me was about 20miles.
It was low 50'sF, Sunny, I had to take it for a spin and try my new brake lever.

It's Amazing the difference simply changing the lever made!

I already installed a used set of K9 Calipers- monoblocks and highly rated. Then, after listening to Bill V, I got a 19mm MC also- also a used K9 MC. The front brakes were OK, I did 4 track days this last season with this set up with a better made Chicom lever. I never liked the feel and performance of this set up.
So i bought a really good MC rebuild kit- and haven't installed it yet.
I read a member on another site that said that the Chicom levers seemed to have more play in them before they bit, ane he changed a lever to a CRG and really helped.
I figured for around $100 per lever, I'd try that first b/c it's way easier to change the lever then rebuild the MC.
I honestly did not expect ANY difference! HUGE difference just changing the lever made in the play, and feel of the front.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Blue

My bike turned over 32,800 miles on this ride!
It runs AWESOME! The motor is untouched. I checked the clearances a few winters ago.
I LOVE this K5 1000!

221 - 232 of 232 Posts