Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)

I decided to adjust/tighten my MCCT today. No, it wasn't making any noise- I was tinkering.

Then, reading up on the TPS position, and 'dealer mode' ; I decided to put my bike in 'Dealer Mode' for the first time since I've had it.
No it had no FI light.
No, it wasn't running funny- runs like a raped monkey!

So, I read a few posts and the consensus was to adjust/check the TPS position WHILE the bike is running and warmed up. OK, no problem- did that.

When it was not running and on- the - line was not in the middle.
Started the bike went to the middle when I revved it to 4K, the jumped upper or lower (don't remember), then also in the middle.

Got out my star driver, and adjusted it some. When I put it in the middle when not running, it jumps off of it when I start it and stays there, not in the middle.

So I adjusted it when it's in the middle when idling, stays then when revved.

Turned it off and key on several times, not in middle. Started it, in the middle and stays there.

You can see my trip meter, when I turn a 29 mile trip TO work, into a 62 mile twisty trip home!

**Edit- OH yeah, I almost forgot.

When starting the little projects yesterday of course you start the breakdown by taking out those special bolts with the collar on them that hold one of the side plastics on from the gas tank, to get the seat off.
It seems, I tightened them so much the last time I was in there that one of them stripped out. I think it was a 4mm hex. I tried everything, 12 different hexes similar size. Metric, American- nothing worked.
You know this bolt- the head of it is recessed into the plastic and holds the seat on.
So you can't get to it and grab it with vice grips or pliers, etc. I tried to hammer a goove in one side and then put the flat screwdriver on it and chisel it loose, etc.- Naada happening.
Then, I remebered this 'easy out' I saw in one of my tool boxes recently- and I found it! I think I've actually used this once in the last 30 years! It was rusty, but I said, why not?
So I drilled the bolt out some, and was able to tap the 'easy out' in to the hole.
The grooving on the easy out is such that it bites or grabs when you turn it counterclockwise, so it bites into the drilled bolt as you are trying to get it out.

It Worked!

If I hadn't got that out, none of yesterdays projects would have taken place.
Now to order a new one!

** Edit #2- shocker- they had those specialty bolts in stock! Only $ 3.49! Picking it up when I get the clutch mod fix parts.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
OK, Ride to and from work today, was 48-64F.
My 29 mile ride to work turned into a
77 mile ride home today. I keep adding some awesome twisty country roads along the route.
I almost lost the front on a 'tar snake' in the road on a left hander! Luckily I was not near 'the edge', so it slipped and then grabbed and kept right going. Whew.

Cam chain noise seems a little quieter now- wasn't rattling before either.

The TPS sensor position change:
It actually seemed like it made the response a little crisper.
It also seems to have taken some of the engine braking away too. There was not much to begin with after my ECU flash, seems even less now.

** When I got home I immediately got out my spray bottle of Kerosene, and cleaned the bug splatter from the front of the bike. Then with my sponge and water, I cleaned my faceshield. It is so much easier to get that off when it hasn't set and dried for 4+ days!

I also took the seat off and put in the paper clip and with the key on, not running, the TPS linewas at the top location.
Started the bike, within a second, it went to the middle and stayed there.
I revved to 4-5, it went up to the top some, and the middle mostly.
At idle- its at the middle position.
I left it alone.

What a day, next 2 days off.

Reactions: RockerGuy

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I recently read a post on another site, by a regular, who has a K5 or 6 GSX-R1000 too.
He has is a:
Woolich ECU flash. - or one of those name brand flashes.
K&N filter
Full Akraprovic system too (sp?)
Motor internals OEM like mine.

And claims a best RWHP dyno of 162.

When I read that, I'm feeling even better about my 'lesser mods' (No full system)
and putting down 161 RWHP.
I know- you can't compare dynos. But they do have some calibrations and filtering to make them fairly equal.
Anyways- I'll take it.

Having a tire wear issue- and after thousands of miles on my current Q3+'s, one side is wearing sooner than the other.
I think it's how I am on the bike

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Well, today my 3rd task was to do the 'Clutch Mod' everyone raves about! LOL, Well, on the K5/6 1000 anyways.

I used this thread, and the cleaned up version on Bill V's page of Suzuki stuff for the directions.

After reading the entire thread again recently, I was convinced that if I just changed the conical washer, my clutch would be like new again. I"m basing that off of many posted saying this.

I finally did it today. Started it, let it run, no leaks.

** Edit- kinda freaks me out. The clutch springs, and the outer casing bolts are only
7 Ft/lbs. 7 Ft/lbs? I tie my shoestrings tighter that that/!

I only took the pressure plate off, it in tact because my slipper seems to work fine, and my clutch never slips.
Took out all the plates and steels, changed out the washer like the 'how to' says, and put it all back together.

This in the only pic I took, of the finished job and the washer I replaced. The plastics are back on now too.

Haven't ridden it yet. It's dinner time, it's rainy, I'm an old man, I don't want to 'gear up', and I want to have a beer.

Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
You going riding today? It's been gorgeous around Chicago today. low 70's sunny.
I thought about riding to and from work, but I don't do it that often when I have to work 8A-8P, like today.
When I get off earlier, like around 2 or 4, I take my patented 'long way home' - nut'n but Twisties!

I hope you got out and enjoyed. High in the 60's and sunny around here, not far from there.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Well, today my 3rd task was to do the 'Clutch Mod' everyone raves about! LOL, Well, on the K5/6 1000 anyways.

I used this thread, and the cleaned up version on Bill V's page of Suzuki stuff for the directions.

After reading the entire thread again recently, I was convinced that if I just changed the conical washer, my clutch would be like new again. I"m basing that off of many posted saying this.

I finally did it today. Started it, let it run, no leaks.

** Edit- kinda freaks me out. The clutch springs, and the outer casing bolts are only
7 Ft/lbs. 7 Ft/lbs? I tie my shoestrings tighter that that/!

I only took the pressure plate off, it in tact because my slipper seems to work fine, and my clutch never slips.
Took out all the plates and steels, changed out the washer like the 'how to' says, and put it all back together.

This in the only pic I took, of the finished job and the washer I replaced. The plastics are back on now too.

Haven't ridden it yet. It's dinner time, it's rainy, I'm an old man, I don't want to 'gear up', and I want to have a beer.

OK, rode to work this morning. After an 8 hr. shift, I'll have plenty of daylight to take my 'long twisty route home'.

** More importantly- first ride since the 'clutch mod'. WOW- what a difference!!!
From the first take off in my driveway- so nice.
I made sure I stopped whenever I could all the way at stop signs and such, so I could test the new clutch performance.

Like Butter!

I'm just kicking my self now- for NOT doing this SOONER!
Well worth the little time and effort.

Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
546 Posts
OK, rode to work this morning. After an 8 hr. shift, I'll have plenty of daylight to take my 'long twisty route home'.

** More importantly- first ride since the 'clutch mod'. WOW- what a difference!!!
From the first take off in my driveway- so nice.
I made sure I stopped whenever I could all the way at stop signs and such, so I could test the new clutch performance.

Like Butter!

I'm just kicking my self now- for NOT doing this SOONER!
Well worth the little time and effort.
What is that supposed to do?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
What is that supposed to do?
In a nutshell, it takes the shutter/chatter/stickiness out of the clutch, when you're simply letting the lever out like you do every time you leave from a full stop.
It returns it to the way it should always perform.

* Edit- I'm going to add an edit so it won't turn this thread back to the top of the list.

** Wholly Crap- The clutch is sooo smooth now! Like just about every other motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden.
I guess I put up with that crappy clutch on take offs for so long b/c- well- it would only happen on take offs.
It would squeel, shutter, get stuck so you dump the clutch and kill it, etc. It sucked. Now that it's all gone- I can't believe I put up with
riding that thing for so long. I guess I've put up with worse before.
So worth the low $ to 'fix' this!
Kudos to the OP of that old thread with the great instructions, part #'s, and pictures for the 'mod' - fix!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

Near as I can tell, I've bee riding this 2 seasons, and well over 10K miles. I think the middle wore b/c of downshifting into fast twisties, and it breaking loose a little on acceleration. I never do burn outs, ore skid the rear brake.

I ordered some Mich. PP 2CT's.

Another friend with a s1000rr really likes the Bridgstones s22's He is a bit more aggressive than I however. I think the next set of PP2CT's will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Went in to Milwaukee to Bike night tonight.

Just went there and back, my treads showing tire made it OK.

Got my new 'shoes' today, and the notion pro tire iron, I also bought some zip ties to help.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #132 (Edited)
OK, mounted and balanced my new Michelin Pilot Power 2Ct's today. On my 60th Birthday!
No knuckles were abused, no slip hand injuries either.

I haven't mounted a Motorcycle tire in over 35 yrs.! I was lucky enough to still have the shorter tire irons I used way back then, and also
now have a new MotionPro 16.5 in. curved one too now.

Last night however, I did tale one last ride on my rear Q3+ with the treads showing to the bike night and back.

I found one more use for Duct Tape! though before my last ride!

I'm not going over removing the wheels. Once the wheel is off, you have to break the bead somehow. I've read all about the 'no-mar' tire changers and the look alike knock offs. And about the Harbor Freight ones too. After watching several DIY YouTubes, I gave this a shot. Using wood scraps I had, 2x4 scrap, and my truck. Of course pad things and/of use 2x4's underneath to protect the rotors. The rear was much harder, but after several attempts, it popped off!

Once the bead was popped from the edge, I put my old and new tools to work. I was going to try the Large zip ties here too, but I didn't think I could get them under the tire when it was still on the rim- so I didn't try it. I did it the old fashioned way with the tire irons, and some very soapy water.
I did dig in my recycle bin for a suitable plastic bottle I cut cut up to use as a rim protector. On my rims, they've already had several; scratches and knicks from the shops I've used, and the Previous owner- I didn't want to add any. Garage temp was around 60F. You can see my old tools and the new one.
I only purchased one new/long- I actually didn't need any more and it actually came off pretty easy really- for not having done it in many decades.

Once I got the one side off, I reached in and place some plastic in on the rim, and used the long iron from over the rim, under the tire lip, and pryed it way back and pushed really hard with my hands, and viola, the other side popped off too! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Here is just after it popped off both sides.

Just for grins, I checked the balance of the rims; then new tires with rims, and did use 1/4 oz stick on weights from Amazon.
I used 1.0 oz on the Rear, and 0.25 on the front. I know it's not as good as a spin balancer, and does have the sticksion of the wheel bearings affects things too.
I used the axles, and a few different rods I have. The store bought ones uses the cones that gets more on the wheel bearings which may help- what ever.
MY test ride when finished felt smooth. I'll report back if I start to feel some vibes.

This is Really Cool Part! Mounting the tires with no tire irons!! Saw this on YouTube too.
I had just bought 6 long wide Re usable Zip Ties just for this! You push the tire down with foot or hand and zip it all the way tight.

Then I used our concentrated dish soap, a little water and small rag and lubed the edges up good.
Then I popped half of it on by hand and while laying it flat, stood on the edge and hopped a little and it popped on!

I used the old front I had taken off underneath to protect the rotors when I popped the front one on the same way.

This shows how both side pop on at once

* This is where things got a little interesting, As I'm loosing the left caliper to get the front wheel off, I notice THIS!

As I'm working on the wheels, I realize, I NOT going riding until fix those caliper retainer pins/screws in the picture of one already gone, and one about to fall out! I guess I didn't get it tight enough when I changed out the pads several months ago. These are not just a standard bolt.
Called the dealer- of course they're not in stock, #25 a piece, and 5 days at the earliest w/ standard shipping.
$50, for 2 little retainer screws, and even more $ if I want them sooner than 5 days? Hell yes, I want to ride tomorrow! Fuck me! And it's my birthday!
Wait, it get's even better!
So, I call the cycle salvage, 18 mi. across town. He puts me on hold- a long hold. Comes back on and says: Yep, I've got a pair, $25 for the pair.
Well Hell yes! Cause it's my fucking 60th birthday!!

So, get 'er all back together, tightened up and figure, hey I got to test tide this thing to see about those wheel balances! And Fuck me, I haven't even had a beer or a drink all day, and it's my effing birthday!
So off I go, rip a little through my part of town, get gas, and home in time for the wifes homemade Sushi!

So, self installed new shoes!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Does anybody read Any of this?
My last post alone the zip tie method works great for mounting tires!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Yep. How long did it take to do the tires?
Hey there Oz, I'm, not really sure on the time. Mainly because I was taking off and installing the wheel, dis mounting and mounting the tires. THEN, I had to call about my caliper pad pins, and go and get them across town. I stopped for lunch with my son. Then balancing took a while, because of waiting till it stops many times to try and get the heavier spots, etc. Working time alone on just the wheels, maybe 3 hrs? Like I'm sure you may be the same, I take some pride in doing things I can do myself.

I've never tried the ziptie method but I love your creativity so far.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
It is SO cool! Next time, I'll try and put the zip ties on the take off tire too! I just spooned it off- was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
But the cool part, zip tying it up like the picture, lay it down on a pad, and 'throw' half the tire on, then stand up and work the other half on with your body weight and a few steps- Viola- mounted the easy way in no time! Have to admit, I saw this on a You Tube or two.

I also saw how easy breaking the bead was with the small and large 2/4's on a You tube. I had that already lying around.

I actually had feared that I wouldn't be able to do this, and take it to the shop. But much to my surprise, even for a spry old man like me, it was actually pretty easy using the techniques I used!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey there Oz, I'm, not really sure on the time. Mainly because I was taking off and installing the wheel, dis mounting and mounting the tires. THEN, I had to call about my caliper pad pins, and go and get them across town. I stopped for lunch with my son. Then balancing took a while, because of waiting till it stops many times to try and get the heavier spots, etc. Working time alone on just the wheels, maybe 3 hrs? Like I'm sure you may be the same, I take some pride in doing things I can do myself.

It is SO cool! Next time, I'll try and put the zip ties on the take off tire too! I just spooned it off- was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
But the cool part, zip tying it up like the picture, lay it down on a pad, and 'throw' half the tire on, then stand up and work the other half on with your body weight and a few steps- Viola- mounted the easy way in no time! Have to admit, I saw this on a You Tube or two.

I also saw how easy breaking the bead was with the small and large 2/4's on a You tube. I had that already lying around.

I actually had feared that I wouldn't be able to do this, and take it to the shop. But much to my surprise, even for a spry old man like me, it was actually pretty easy using the techniques I used!
They say you get faster at it when you do it more often.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
They say you get faster at it when you do it more often.
I'm sure. I haven't done this in over 3 decades! It will be faster the next time too. Wasn't too long anyways- I enjoy working on my bike, improving it.

Nothing like putting on your own tires with tire irons.
EXCEPT- No irons were used at all to put them on!
I only used the zip ties, some soapy water, my hands, and stodd on them with tennis shoes. Took a minute or less to mount each tire once I started putting on the rim.
I'm telling ya- that zip tie method WORKS!

121 - 140 of 171 Posts