Suzuki GSXR Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I get a big grin every time I walk out in to my garage, and see this waiting for me

Reactions: Keon101521 and JCW

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Today, me and 2 others went for an impromptu ride.
The first 30ish miles for me was mostly interstate getting to one of their homes.
Then with doubling back, and riding home solo on a twisty way home, I added another 75 miles, and the ride was abut a hundred total. So about 200ish miles today!
Wonderful day, Mid 70'sF, and sunny and dry.

The other 2 bikes I rode with today- Aprilia RSV4's. A '16 and an '18. both tricked out some more with exhausts, ECU, etc.
I want one!

The guys house we met at- really nice, and he used to race a ZX10, and a CBR. He now just races SuperMoto he states.
This is his garage, with our bikes out in the driveway
I"ve known him now for years. Been on a few rides with him and others too. This guy is the Real deal. He would usually be at the MotoGP race viewig on Sunday mornings last few seasons.
Not only does he ride outstanding, but today, on some country straights- he would start a wheelie and keep shifting, and he would set it down at about 130mph!
He is almost as old as I am. That's him standing behind his race version of his Supermoto, all Huskies.
I'm not worthy!

There is a ride planned Sept. 13 by some really fast small group of studs. I'm riding to his home, and we're riding out to east Madison to met up. This will be a really serious paced, intense ride.
I'll be 'in the back'

Reactions: JCW

·
Registered
547 Posts
Dayum look at those mirrors on the RSV4!

200 mile impromptu ride for grins... That's pretty hardcore!
I did 60 miles on my old yamaha and I was like whew, why is the clutch so damn heavy on these old bikes. Of course, a little Chicago traffic didn't help things.

Husqvarna makes a supermoto FS450 that is sick!
And of course their 701 that I think uses the KTM 690 engine.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
OK, read some good threads about the Caliper upgrades for my bike. What's available, etc.
It seems a K9-L1 Tokico Calipers is an upgrade, as it is a monoblock type caliper too.
Although it doesn't say it fits, word has it that it is a direct bolt on mod, no mods needed.
I put a bid on a pair on Ebay, and will probably do the buy it now option too.
I'll try it with my 'recall' replacement MC I'm using now too.
Might have to get another MC too- would rather not though.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
got the calipers cleaned up a little. I decided I didn't want to water spray them off, when the systen was not sealed by the banjo and brake lines. So I sprayed them with a solvent and wiped them.
They even had the Tokico pads in them! Assuming they were OEM. They looked good, when I pryed open the pistons, a little fluid came out.
I'm going to use them with my EBC HH pads- hopefully mount tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #167 (Edited)
same pads? How lucky...
Those original pads still had some meat on them.
I switched in my EBC HH though.

Got the swap done today- other than a long bleed process b/c changing the calipers= pretty uneventful.

Went for a nice twisty ride south of towns, one of my closer favorite loops.

I didn't expect much difference, and thus I was not disappointed.
It was good before. Stops a little better now.
Lever feels the same.

I don't understand how a smaller bore MC, so you push less fluid/lever pull distance- gives it a better feel?
School me

* Edit- Oh yeah, the K9 calipers are WAY lighter! I read a post where someone actually posted the weights on these.
It was easy to feel the difference in weight.
the K5 caipers are supposedly '2 piece'? Well, they are one piece, but you can seen a line like where 2 halves were forged together somehow. the K9 don't have that line down the middle of them either.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Oh, just found a thread where a K5 750 caliper was split apart!

·
SuperMod of the North
26,699 Posts
My understanding of it is that a smaller bore does not have as huge an impact on the pressure applied so a better feel is obtained. If you had a massive bore even a small amount of input would lock the brakes. It is like having a finer adjustment.

Reactions: Todd_Sails

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Hello all,
Well, I ridden several 'spirited' rides since the caliper swap. I really don't see any difference LOL. At least not with the the OEM K5- recall replacement MC anyways.

Yesterday I had the day off, after some 'tasks' around the house and garage, a friend on his 04 CB1000rr joined me for about 100 mi. of some of my favorite twisties! Weather was 72F/Sunny! My motor seems a bit quieter with the Rotella T6 Syn. in it. Running like a raped monkey. Speed/clutchless shifting, wheelies in 2nd and 3rd. etc. I love it!

We did take about 20mi of interstate at the end back to town. Even under steady state riding, it's soo smooth now, Even with my 'ghetto' wheel balancing. No vibrations- bar end Ebay mirrors are crystal clear, and since I got those new gloves, my hands to get numb or tired at all either. K5, and still such a pleasure to ride!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
Got a nice ride in today!
It was 48F at the start, and 52F when I finished. Total Sunshine- made it feel much warmer.

One other friend could get a way at noon today/Wednesday.

A route just south of my home, and went both says and even did a few of the turn sections a few times in a row too.
The Cooler/dryer air seems like it adds 10HP too! My suspension felt a little better all around, and I haven't adjusted it lately.
It was great to be out on the bike running twisties today. I actually rode some of my best wheelies of the season too!
Could this be the last ride of the season? I topped off the gas tank just in case.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts